What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Worked fine for me when I was running a Sora drivetrain, no issues at all.

Yup. Works perfectly on the stand, no problems anticipated. But there's no way I'm taking that tyre up a hill to properly test it out!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yup. Works perfectly on the stand, no problems anticipated. But there's no way I'm taking that tyre up a hill to properly test it out!

I've seen several cyclists over the years who seem content to use tyres in what I regard as a dangerous state.

New bike tyres can be obtained relatively cheaply, so to me it's not worth the added risk of punctures, let alone a possibly nasty crash.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Some s/h PD-9000 pedals arrived from the Bay of Thieves. LH one felt ok, RH one was initially seized, then had a lot of play. Opened it up. Oh dear. Inboard bearing full of rust. After cleaning up, this is the pitted state of the race machined into the axle, and the good (LH) one for comparison.

A new axle assembly will cure it (the races pressed into the pedal body are all good) but one of those costs what I paid for the pedals. I suppose I could reassemble them and send them back, but that's a lot of work. Maybe I can get a discount. The state of the RH bearing should have been obvious.

Attachments

• 20200905_135056.jpg
    20200905_135056.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200905_135230.jpg
    20200905_135230.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 7

Gunk

Guru
I rode my 2007 S Works Epic today after a period being laid up due to a seized caliper. Did about 18 miles, brakes are now fine but it wasn’t shifting properly.

once home I popped it on the stand, the cable was a little bit slack, once tightened it seems to have cured the problem.

I also gave it a good clean and hung it back up in the garage. I don’t use it much, but it’s a very enjoyable bike to ride and great for trails and woods.

Put Stans fluid in Mrs SnGs front tube, rear was already done a while ago, but checked and what is in there is still fluid!
Put some in both tubes on the CDA, and then put some in FILs e bike, for some peace of mind for Mrs SnG, MIL, and I. Also tightened ever-so-slightly the rear bearing on FILs as he said it seemed a little wobbly.
Not a bad Sunday, oh, and the day started with the Fox, lounging about in the sun, and not the slightest bit interested in us using the garden.
43A10A21-1AA1-455E-8D77-347D40BB529C.jpeg

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've had the bits for this garden bench for 13 years- it was flytipped near my old allotment. I used it as an allotment seat until the wood finally gave way, then I brought the metal bits home on my bike trailer.

Finally got around to painting the metal and replacing the slats!

boQFrBH.jpg

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
24T inner chainring arrived for the tandem this morning.

So a cheeky lunchtime fettle to fit it.

It's several years since I've used a chainset removal tool, and I have vague recollections of easily crossed threads, so approached with a judicious mixture of paranoia and trepidation. And plenty of grease.

Job all complete in 30 minutes, works OK on the stand. RD seems to cope with the entire range big/big to small/small (just) despite being some way beyond its nominal capacity (11-36 and 24/36/46 = capacity of 47 vs nominal 43).

I think the front seems to be struggling to get into the big ring a little, but need to test that out on the road to be sure, and it's pouring down. Might one expect some small but noticeable variability in how far across a chainset gets on a square taper, and perhaps it's not quite as far across as it was? I'm always a little wary of overtightening things.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Son's team have suggested he try narrower bars, so we picked up a set. However, it looks like they're 'copy' EC90 bars and both of us are uncomfortable with him having them on his training bike which is used for longer rides and group training. This video shows them to be strong, but neither of us want to take the chance - we had a go at breaking them as well before installation.

So they've gone onto his Columbus X-Wing cross-commuter with some red bar tape / white cables as that's what we had in the shed. At the same time a longer Deda Zero stem's gone on as he's grown since we first built the bike. 6th form starts tomorrow so we had a deadline.

Apologies for the useless photos - it's pouring down here and we're heading to Manchester velodrome so this is all I got :blush:
IMG_20200907_150718.jpg

IMG_20200907_150803.jpg

Last edited:

MonsterEnergy

Son's team have suggested he try narrower bars, so we picked up a set. However, it looks like they're 'copy' EC90 bars and both of us are uncomfortable with him having them on his training bike which is used for longer rides and group training. This video shows them to be strong, but neither of us want to take the chance - we had a go at breaking them as well before installation.

So they've gone onto his Columbus X-Wing cross-commuter with some red bar tape / white cables as that's what we had in the shed. At the same time a longer Deda Zero stem's gone on as he's grown since we first built the bike. 6th form starts tomorrow so we had a deadline.

Apologies for the useless photos - it's pouring down here and we're heading to Manchester velodrome so this is all I got :blush:
View attachment 545945

View attachment 545942
Random question, but where do you live.
I recognize the bike:laugh:

Top Bottom