What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Fitted new tyres and tubes to the spare wheelset for the Domane. This is so I can fit mudguards tomorrow - the new tyres are 25mm and come up on the rims as 24.5mm. After riding 28mm for 3 years they are soooooo narrow - the same tyre in 28mm comes up as 29.8mm on my Racelight's wheels.

Today was spent fettling a box of varied stuff into a very large computer case, to end up with more pc power than I could ever reasonably need. When I say big case, I mean Corsair Obsidian 750D big. GTX Titan X graphics.
All for nowt...
Except the time to build and fettle, of course!

JhnBssll

Veteran
I fettled the commuter yesterday after it's first outing for a while. It's kitted with SRAM Rival 22 and the righthand shifter seems to have developed a fault. On the way home at least 30% of my upshifts failed - the shifter clicked and the chain shifted on to the bigger sprocket, but as soon as the lever started moving back to its rest position a second clunk sent the chain back to the sprocket from whence it began :laugh: I was able to get it to shift when I remembered and made my actions slow and deliberate, but as soon as I forgot and started shifting naturally the fault reappeared. Once on the stand in the garage of course it worked flawlessly :rolleyes: Seems the ratchet mechanism isn't holding it's new position, perhaps an alignment issue or a fault with one of the pawls. It's only done a few thousand miles and has been looked after - now trying to decide whether to try and fix the shifter, replace it, or replace the lot. I've got my eyes peeled for cheap R7020 bits as the hydraulic 105 stuff looks rather nice. It would be useful from a compatibility perspective to have 3 road bikes running shimano gears and hope calipers.

I also noticed the wobble in the Aksium Disc rear wheel has become more pronounced - I picked the pair up second hand for a good price but the nipples were all seized. I cut the front spokes out and built a dynamo hub in to the Aksium rim but the rear nipples weren't budging so I've been nursing it a bit. I finally bit the bullet and have ordered a cheap replacement hub and some new rims so will replace the rear wheel and rebuild the front :okay: I still need to size the spokes but waiting on the rim ERD from the supplier - they're Bontrager rims but I cant find the dimensions listed anywhere :sad:

I'll ride it as is until the hub and rims arrive and consider my position re. groupset possibilities :laugh: The bike's great to ride so I'm not worried about spending a bit of money on it, and the racks at work are safe enough, so maybe it's time I treated it to some new bits 🤷‍♂️

Wannabe weight weenie here again. Running out of things to upgrade.

Got an excellent condition ultegra r8000 crank 52 36 172.5 very pleased.

Cleaned up and fitted with ultegra chain.

Fitted it with dura ace 9100 bottom bracket. £28 from Taiwan seller on ebay. Nothing wrong with it. Correct weight. I only order if the seller is "big" and or established.

Fitted some carbon titanium skewers.

New weight of bike 7.9kg. I can take 120grammes off if i fit the super uncomfortable all carbon saddle (which i do have).

My existing wheels weigh 1650grammes...wh6800 ultegras...i will upgrade after a while of riding. Only just got into cycling from lockdown . Eventually will switch to drop down handlebars.

I suppose i could get an ultegra cassette to replace the last 105 part on the bike.

Thats all for now!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

View attachment 545208

View attachment 545207

Fitted it with dura ace 9100 bottom bracket. £28 from Taiwan seller on ebay. Nothing wrong with it. Correct weight. I only order if the seller is "big" and or established.

View attachment 545209

View attachment 545210

View attachment 545213

New weight of bike 7.9kg. I can take 120grammes off if i fit the super uncomfortable all carbon saddle (which i do have).

My existing wheels weigh 1650grammes...wh6800 ultegras...i will upgrade after a while of riding. Only just got into cycling from lockdown . Eventually will switch to drop down handlebars.

View attachment 545214

I suppose i could get an ultegra cassette to replace the last 105 part on the bike.

Thats all for now!

Shaved off all that weight, then puts a flappy bag on it. Tisk tisk.

C R

Guru

View attachment 545208

View attachment 545207

View attachment 545209

View attachment 545210

View attachment 545213

View attachment 545214

Thats all for now!
Nice project, but, doesn't that big bag sort of defeat the purpose of the exercise?

Beaten by @fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bit of a dust off, literally, a few years worth. New rubber fitted.

Gunk

Guru

View attachment 545208

View attachment 545207

View attachment 545209

View attachment 545210

View attachment 545213

View attachment 545214

Thats all for now!

I think you've made a nice job of that. Really cool bike.

si_c

Guru
Fitted the mudguards to the Trek to put it into it's final form as my go to bike for transport/bad weather - took me over an hour and a half as the clearance under the brake bridge was fscking tiny and it took me ages to get it to stop rubbing. The front took a while as well as the fork crown bolt didn't want to go in - lots of gunk on the threads had to keep backing it all the way out. Ended up using a different bolt as the one that came with the guards used a 2.5mm allen bolt so swapped it for one with a 4mm head so it wouldn't round out.

Just need to keep running it in, only done about 1k miles on it so far so still dialling in the position. Probably will drop the handlebars a couple of spacers over time.

Here it is as it is currently fitted out, since we're mentioning weights today it's 10.5kg total weight as you see it in a size 62cm including pedals, saddlebag, guards, lights and frame mounted pump.
IMG_20200903_180549.jpg

Lol. Thanks for all comments, the bag is used sometimes only, but especially after i have tinkered with the bike in case of say a snapped chain - which happened today whilst testing the new crank. (My fault i installed the chain poorly ).

I also dont have the clothing to carry pump spare tube multi tool levers food bars etc, yet.

Why the hate for frame bags online? This one only weighs 150grammes. I know its not "aero".

Overall ultimate goal is to be well under 10kg with water and spares/tools for longer rides. If i hit a hill the water goes in my back pocket.

Anyway am looking at the paint now and thinking it needs to go. Lol.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A very well spent half hour saw me fit a new KMC 9 speed chain, swap back from my spare San Marco Rolls saddle to my favourite and newly repaired Brooks B17 and replace a couple of bolts on one of the toe clips. A two minute test ride confirmed everything now feels exactly as it should. Roll on the next ride.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
New 11-36 Cassette fitted to tandem for lower gears than 11-32 current. Will it work with the nominally only fit for 34T Sora derailleur?

Yes it will - perfectly - on the stand at least.
And even ok on big/big without a chain change.

However, a road test is *not* going to happen until new tyres arrive...

:eek:

Further problems arise as son announces his chain is skipping. No problem, says I, for I have new 9 speed chain no longer needed for tandem you can have, and we can also swap in the old tandem cassette which is fortuitously identical!

Old chain off, cassette swapped. Now for chain... Bugger. Chain not in box, will be delivered later. Gah!

Top Bottom