What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Swapped a 6400 rear mech for a 7700 rear mech. I'm switching the Merckx over to 90s Dura-Ace, mostly 7700, as 600 tricolor pre-dates the frame. Sticking with 7402 cranks, though, as Octalink is nasty.

Also keeping the wheels with their 6400 hubs because they're my favourite wheels from the 100 or so I've built. 36 spokes but they're all DT Revolution except the rear RH side, which is DT Competition (this is the way I always build race wheels). They spin up to speed very easily and are just about nuke-proof. Still perfectly true and I haven't touched them since I built them in 2017. Rigida SHP rims from the days when the braking surface was anodised.

Last edited:
I didnt know building work is included in this thread :smile:))

Bathroom 4 done of 10 bed HMO. Squeezed this under the stairs, there will be a screen fitted between toilet and walk in shower. I stick with electric showers to keep them independent from the boiler and even mains water supply since its pumped from cold water storage tank. Ensuite bathroom is supplied by boiler though to keep things under 100Amps overall. Few more weeks to complete then openrent it.

Wiring hanging out to the side is for underfloor heating control. Its a simple on off switch with 5 power levels and a 2 hour on only button. I think this is better than a room thermostat. Cant see tenants complaining. Ive gone all out on this one.

Very nice loft hatch above even for drop down ladder.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Today I've removed, waxed and refitted chains on the Genesis and Raleigh since both had got wet and as much as I love waxed chains they don't do so well with water ingress :sad:

This was facilitated by making a few useful little tools - the first a hanger made from an old spoke to thread through the folded chain and allow it to be dunked in the wax pan / easily manipulated / hung up to drip dry.

The second is a chain tool made from a bit of 1/16" welding rod to hold it in place on the bike while quick links are removed and installed; saving the pleasantries of having to grip the chain and keep it under tension while attempting to hook everything together.

The idea was stolen from someone cleverer than me on the net with a few little twists of my own. I formed it round an existing chain so it's around 8 links / 4 link-pairs long and should also be useful for sizing new chains since its length can be reproduced with full links rather than being some arbitrary amount :smile:

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

Unfortunately no pics of the hanger in use as the chain fell off post-wax and it was more trouble than it was worth to put it back on again for a pic (waxy hands, camera etc). I'm quite pleased with how it turned out for a "make it up as you go along" tool, although the upward kink at the threaded end could do with being a bit longer to prevent the chain coming off (although I've just had a brainwave that I can retain it with an old nipple - which still fits and looks like it'll work perfectly ^_^ :becool:). I'd also have preferred the fat / hub end to be facing in the other direction, but it's not the end of the world.

Very pleased with today's productivity and it's really nice outside so may well go out for a bimble in a bit :smile:

Last edited:

avecReynolds531

Veteran
I retired a well worn Suntour ARX GT (long cage) rear derailleur this morning and replaced it with a Cyclone II GT (which matches the front derailleur).

Suntour made some lovely derailleurs - sad how it went for them:

From this excellent Retrogrouch article: https://bikeretrogrouch.blogspot.com/2014/06/suntour-derailleurs.html

'Around 1975, SunTour introduced the Cyclone, which looked beautiful, shifted flawlessly, and was one of the lightest derailleurs available. Only the Huret Jubilee was lighter (about 175 g. vs. 140 g.). It also looked expensive, but wasn't. According to The Dancing Chain, in 1975, a Campagnolo Nuovo Record or a Huret Jubilee cost about $40, a Shimano Crane (Dura-Ace) was $20, and Cyclone cost only $16. Ironically, it was SunTour's more "fair" pricing policy that kept it in a lower "status" as compared to the competition in the eyes of some American cyclists. Rather than price their products based on what the market would bear, SunTour set prices based on production costs plus a fair profit, according to Berto. To people accustomed to the notion of price-equals-prestige, there was a perception that SunTour components were somehow less desirable than offerings from Shimano or from Europe.'

Had a tick,tick, tick for the last couple of months when I put the bike under strain that would go silent when I let the chain get dirty. The chain has done 4,000miles now but cleaned up easily as I would expect. I've changed my cleaning routine though, I now use mucoff and a small portable pump before wiping down with a baby wipe. Before I took longer and used more baby wipes. The Park chain measurer said it was good however on every link I checked.

20200823_174839.jpg

Nonetheless I ended up changing the chain/ cassette anyway.

20200823_183244.jpg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Adjusted v brakes on wife’s bike. Pumped up tyres on our road bikes.

roley poley

Über Member
I retired a well worn Suntour ARX GT (long cage) rear derailleur this morning and replaced it with a Cyclone II GT (which matches the front derailleur).

Suntour made some lovely derailleurs - sad how it went for them:

From this excellent Retrogrouch article: https://bikeretrogrouch.blogspot.com/2014/06/suntour-derailleurs.html

'Around 1975, SunTour introduced the Cyclone, which looked beautiful, shifted flawlessly, and was one of the lightest derailleurs available. Only the Huret Jubilee was lighter (about 175 g. vs. 140 g.). It also looked expensive, but wasn't. According to The Dancing Chain, in 1975, a Campagnolo Nuovo Record or a Huret Jubilee cost about $40, a Shimano Crane (Dura-Ace) was $20, and Cyclone cost only $16. Ironically, it was SunTour's more "fair" pricing policy that kept it in a lower "status" as compared to the competition in the eyes of some American cyclists. Rather than price their products based on what the market would bear, SunTour set prices based on production costs plus a fair profit, according to Berto. To people accustomed to the notion of price-equals-prestige, there was a perception that SunTour components were somehow less desirable than offerings from Shimano or from Europe.'
not a snob and did the job xxx

D

Deleted member 1258

Yesterday I had the front wheel off my fixed and in the LBS to have new bearings fitted, when I got it back I put a fresh tyre on it, and put the old front tyre on the back, whilst I was doing that I swapped out the 48 tooth ring for a 44 tooth and swapped the 19 tooth cog for a 17 tooth, I rode 48 x19 last winter and didn't get on with it, I was very slow. If I don't get on with the 44x17 I'll go back to 44x18. I also put a new chain on it and gave it a bit of a clean, I must have cleaned a pound of road dirt out from under the mudguards, I'll give it a polish before I start using it.

Top Bottom