What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Bit of a busy day today;

- Replacement Ultegra 6700 shifter fitted to my Wilier Montegrappa as I'd broken one. A couple of adjustments and all was OK.

- Raleigh SP Race had a few minor adjustments after the build last week; cables shortened a bit, chain link out. All good.

- Son's BeOne Raw Comp needed a LH Dura-Ace shifter change after he broke it, a couple of new cables, rear tyre, new bar tape, brake pads. Waiting on a new rear brake and should be good for the weekend.

My Dawes Kingpin's waiting on the frame being widened ready for the build. That'll start next week although the wheels haven't been built yet.

Wannabe weight weenie here. Bike started at 8.9kg initially. (Totally new to cycling, lockdown). Done the below in the last 7ish days. Bike now weighs bang on 8kg. Favourite upgrade upto now has to be the continental race supersonic tubes 50 grammes each.

Got some tektro RL720 brake levers 90grammes.
IMG_20200819_191232.jpg

Ultegra r8000 rear derailleur
IMG_20200819_191258.jpg

FD 9000 dura ace front derailleur

IMG_20200819_191243.jpg

Bontranger paradigm RL saddle very comfortable. I got a 70g carbon saddle as well - not comfortable !

IMG_20200819_191319.jpg

Frame bag. 150ish grammes. Not always used.
IMG_20200819_141747.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200819_191331.jpg
    IMG_20200819_191331.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200819_191243.jpg
    IMG_20200819_191243.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200819_191232.jpg
    IMG_20200819_191232.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 3
And done the below in last few hours lol. Had a slow puncture, lovely tiny piece of wire i found

IMG_20200820_203341.jpg

Then began disassembling the rear hub. Bearing gone, it was.very obvious.

IMG_20200820_205758.jpg

IMG_20200820_211823.jpg

IMG_20200820_213144.jpg

New bearings in.
IMG_20200820_214651.jpg

IMG_20200820_215039.jpg

IMG_20200820_220212.jpg

While im in there, cleaned cassette and rest of drive train ready for oiling tomorrow.

IMG_20200820_222617.jpg

IMG_20200820_225444.jpg

Have converted to 11 speed with xtr front shifter, fitted carbon seat post, and started swapping some non load bearing bolts for titanium. The black ones for bottle cages are titanium.

Thats enough for tonight.

Last edited:
Before my time trial tonight, my rim tape gave up. Fortunately it was the other bike 👍 I was sat reading papers and I heard a rush of air then pop as the tubeless tyre unseated. Took the tyre of and noted straight away the hole in the rim. So after the TT I cleaned the tyre and rim well; fitted new rim tape; added sealant and repeated. Touch wood an hour later the tyre is still solid. The wheels have been on this bike 10,000 miles and were on another bike for a few before it; which doesn't sound a bad return to me. I just hope that if the rear goes its similarly when I am sat on the sofa with the bike in the bathroom 😂

Had one of those feelings looking at a Dell Studio 1735 laptop on ebay. "Powers up, but screen unresponsive ". Aha! Got it for a song. It does have some corner damage, but nothing unfixable.
Popped in some ram - bingo! There's nothing wrong bar the damage. That's what the feeling was: they're assessing this with no installed ram, and no PC wakes up without it!
So my Dell Studio 1535 has grown a bit!
And a second one, in even better nick, although I don't think I've ever removed that much fluff from a laptop before. Upgraded ram and cpu, transferred spare drive from 15" model, and bingo. Oh, had to install a UK keyboard, this one came from la belle France.

DCLane

@Ilikeboardmans - good start there

Any further weight-reducing activities probably start getting expensive:

- Lighter bars and stem
- Lighter wheels and tyres
- Lighter seatpost
- Lighter crankset; there's a big weight difference between a Shimano 105 and Ultegra/Dura-Ace/Rotor

Oh, and I use a Bontrager Paradigm saddle as well.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
My saddlebag weighs about that :laugh:

My bike with Alfine hub, dynamo hub and Topeak panniers is around 25kg:biggrin:

DCLane

New Ultegra 8000 rear brake caliper arrived so finished my son's BeOne Raw for a team selection camp tomorrow. Some of the jobs on this took both of us; the bike's Dutch and very rare, plus fiddly to work on.

Also on his Columbus X-Wing commuter I swapped the front stem for a longer one, changed the front brake outer and inner cable. Good to go for his start at 6th form.

Last edited:
This afternoon fitted a loft hatch. God they're heavy when you don't take ladder off and lifting on your own:heat:

I’ve never had much luck with loft hatches, all the houses I have owned have needed a custom hatch doing with metal ladders on loft floor to drop down as the roof trusses have been those tall A frames and needed to be cut to fit or if rotated so you don’t need to can’t be dropped down without hitting something! Grrr, means I can’t have any nice wooden Fakros and have to make do with metal ladders.

@DCLane how do you manage to break two shifters? I’ve never ever broke one.

DCLane

Technically I only broke one of them; Shimano Ultegra 6700 right-hand shifters have a reputation for the up-shift breaking.

The other was my son breaking his left-hand Dura-Ace 9000 one. He got the bike tangled up in a race a while ago, not needing the small ring for a few months, and we've got round to fix it this week.

D

Deleted member 1258

Technically I only broke one of them; Shimano Ultegra 6700 right-hand shifters have a reputation for the up-shift breaking.

The other was my son breaking his left-hand Dura-Ace 9000 one. He got the bike tangled up in a race a while ago, not needing the small ring for a few months, and we've got round to fix it this week.

My Tigara left side went on the downshift, if I got it on the big ring there was no guarantee it would drop onto the little ring, I tried all the usual stuff but nothing fixed it so I brought a replacement of E Bay and thats worked perfectly since I fitted it.

CXRAndy

Guru
I’ve never had much luck with loft hatches, all the houses I have owned have needed a custom hatch doing with metal ladders on loft floor to drop down as the roof trusses have been those tall A frames and needed to be cut to fit or if rotated so you don’t need to can’t be dropped down without hitting something! Grrr, means I can’t have any nice wooden Fakros and have to make do with metal ladders.

The Keylite are quite simple once you have put noggins in, then the two wood pieces in the kit-which folk think are packing spacers :whistle:.

Mount these spacers below rafter by 12mm(plasterboard) plus 2mm for skim plaster.

Push whole hatch into created gap, hooks one side and slips and locks the other.

Just need to fit tiny spacers on long sides, insulation foam and kingspan
20200822_094245.jpg
20200822_094745.jpg

Top Bottom