What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Very nice.. Why the concern, is it a Carbon frame?

Yes - full carbon frame and forks. The replacement forks made me wonder if it was in a crash, which the seller denied. However it looks like an impact of some sort on the bottom. The paint's chipped and the top layer of paint come off in the shape of a small triangle at one point.

I'm not too concerned but will have a proper look at it. At first glance there wasn't any 'give' at any point there.

JPBoothy

Veteran
I did a 150 mile round trip to collect my ebay purchase from Leeds this morning (Genesis Day One 10 Disc) and apart from a few scuffs it seems like a good bike. The seller had converted it from the original drop bar with mechanical discs spec, to a flat bar with hydraulic discs but, I may change it back though as the flat bars are massively wide (720mm) and the hydraulic brakes far too fierce/sharp for my liking. I am not a great fan of discs at all really but, as I don't do any mad downhill stuff, then given the choice I actually feel more in control with a mechanical set-up using TRPs than the instant grab of the hydraulic version. Each to their own I suppose. I whipped the chain off and gave everything a thoroughly good clean but I think I will get my local bike mechanic to take a look at the rear wheel bearings as I have re-packed them with grease but can't seem to lock the cones in the right place. It either binds or runs freely but has some play. I am no expert with wheel bearings and know my limits.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Yes - full carbon frame and forks. The replacement forks made me wonder if it was in a crash, which the seller denied. However it looks like an impact of some sort on the bottom. The paint's chipped and the top layer of paint come off in the shape of a small triangle at one point.

I'm not too concerned but will have a proper look at it. At first glance there wasn't any 'give' at any point there.
You see some cracking (no pun intended) used Carbon bikes on Ebay/Gumtree but I would always be worried about any potential 'undeclared' cracks putting me in A&E.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Some 7sp bar end shifters* arrived from fleaBay so I finished the Eddy Merckx Strada OS. Now it's raining, of course.

*temporary until I sort out some 7sp STI units...which do exist.

Attachments

• 20200813_115751.jpg
    20200813_115751.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 4

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
My fettling of the last couple of days is complete and the Raleigh has a new look. I'd have written this up last night but a close lightning strike zapped my computer :ohmy: (thankfully it has booted up alright this morning).

Since getting my Galaxy and finally getting comfortable with drop bars I've found myself frequently wishing for matching hand positions on the Raleigh too. I'd been put off by the bike having a longish top tube which I thought would mean having to to go shorter than the existing 80mm stem (if I could even find a suitable quill replacement), however after recent rides where I felt I could have stretched out more and after comfortably riding a hired gravel bike (Genesis CDA) that was a size larger than I'd have picked out, I thought the idea could be a goer so this birthday I asked for lots of parts and have now done the build.

I took my time over a couple of afternoons when it was too hot and muggy for riding so Tuesday was about removing the old and fitting the new bar and brake levers, then yesterday I connected up the new shifters and wrapped the bars. It's only the second time I've wrapped drop bars so the right hand side took three attempts before I was happy. It was all finished, with a short test ride done, when the first rumbles of thunder started.

Trying it for size at points during the build and on a very short test it feels subtly different to the Galaxy but still a comfortable reach. The gears are noticably nicer shifting just riding round the block. I don't suppose there are many people running Alivio derailleurs with Dura Ace shifters.:laugh: I'm looking forward to trying it out properly soon.

My fettling of the last couple of days is complete and the Raleigh has a new look. I'd have written this up last night but a close lightning strike zapped my computer :ohmy: (thankfully it has booted up alright this morning).

Since getting my Galaxy and finally getting comfortable with drop bars I've found myself frequently wishing for matching hand positions on the Raleigh too. I'd been put off by the bike having a longish top tube which I thought would mean having to to go shorter than the existing 80mm stem (if I could even find a suitable quill replacement), however after recent rides where I felt I could have stretched out more and after comfortably riding a hired gravel bike (Genesis CDA) that was a size larger than I'd have picked out, I thought the idea could be a goer so this birthday I asked for lots of parts and have now done the build.

I took my time over a couple of afternoons when it was too hot and muggy for riding so Tuesday was about removing the old and fitting the new bar and brake levers, then yesterday I connected up the new shifters and wrapped the bars. It's only the second time I've wrapped drop bars so the right hand side took three attempts before I was happy. It was all finished, with a short test ride done, when the first rumbles of thunder started.

View attachment 541372

View attachment 541373
Trying it for size at points during the build and on a very short test it feels subtly different to the Galaxy but still a comfortable reach. The gears are noticably nicer shifting just riding round the block. I don't suppose there are many people running Alivio derailleurs with Dura Ace shifters.:laugh: I'm looking forward to trying it out properly soon.
Very nice too.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
i don't suppose there are many people running Alivio derailleurs with Dura Ace shifters.:laugh: I'm looking forward to trying it out properly soon.
I'll be running 1990-era Shimano 600 tricolour derailleurs with Sora shifters. Choice is limited in 7 speed!

How many speeds is your Raleigh? Dura-Ace shifters were only compatible with DA mechs up to and including (I think) 8 speed. There is a workaround possible - see Sheldon Brown's website.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Very nice too.
Thanks.
I'll be running 1990-era Shimano 600 tricolour derailleurs with Sora shifters. Choice is limited in 7 speed!

How many speeds is your Raleigh? Dura-Ace shifters were only compatible with DA mechs up to and including (I think) 8 speed. There is a workaround possible - see Sheldon Brown's website.
It's 9 speed. Yes the instruction sheet claims the shifters are only compatible with the matching Dura Ace 7700 derailleurs, but it's cobblers. Fortunately I already knew that having built up the Galaxy with the same bar end shifters and Deore.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Yes, 9/10 speed road Shimano is all compatible EXCEPT for a change they made to the front mech pull ratio between 7800 and 7900. This is only an issue if you have STI shifters.

Edited because 11 speed is incompatible with anything that went before. In the end the small cog spacing and slightly stickier underbar STI cabling meant they needed to significantly increase cable movement to keep it reliable.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yes, 9 speed+ road Shimano is all compatible EXCEPT for a change they made to the front mech pull ratio between 7800 and 7900. This is only an issue if you have STI shifters.
I do wonder if there was a technical reason for the change or they just didn't appreciate people like me undermining the exclusive stuff by mixing and matching?:laugh:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I do wonder if there was a technical reason for the change or they just didn't appreciate people like me undermining the exclusive stuff by mixing and matching?:laugh:
Probably for a lighter action. The previous 10 speed front upshift was noticeably firmer than the rear upshift and Shimano want it all to feel like a video game.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Gave the Merckx a quick test ride. Much plusher than the Boardman Team Carbon and the Ron Cooper (from which the wheels and all components came). Some of this may be due to the carbon fork, which is sadly going to have to go...I don't trust a 25-year old carbon fork with a steel steerer glued to an alloy crown glued to carbon blades glued to alloy fork-ends! I have a steel Merckx fork of the right tubing and age but it needs a longer steerer brazing in; Merckx forks with a 190mm+ steerer seem to be unobtanium.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
16yo son managed to pull his TT disc out of line on Saturday's TT along with the brakes failing again after 3 miles - the springs had lost their 'spring' and we think it was the rough surface which set them off after we'd spent some time re-greasing everything.

Just how a 53kg child can knock a tightened wheel out I haven't a clue, but ... :blink:

So, on Saturday we sourced the only replacement rear brake in the UK for an Argon E-116 TT bike, which we swapped for the old one today. Very fiddly but, along with a new rear skewer set to 'over-tightened', he had a go to try and break it. All good so hopefully this Sunday's TT at Mallory Park won't result in a 3rd mechanical in a row. Croft and Cragg Vale (a hillclimb but ridden on a TT bike) follow next week before a couple more warm-ups and then the GHS youth national's in September.

Oh, and for @Dogtrousers this is the bike from the RH side with the red ceramic jockey wheels. The rear brake's underneath obscured by the outer oval chainring:

IMG_20200814_130429.jpg

It may not be as good as some of the ultra-expensive TT bikes a few of the youth have but it's what he's got.

Last edited:
Top Bottom