What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Played with this for half an hout
IMG_20200811_120734.jpg
IMG_20200811_131301.jpg

screenman

Legendary Member
I should add that dent was midway through and I never took the finished one, my website people used to moan like mad that I never give them before and afters.

I’ve got a scratch on my nearside rear, the missus scrapped it against the wall of her Grandmas garden. Need to get round to getting it sorted as it’s a Renault and above the wheel arch so prime place to start rusting!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
+1 to thinking the door handle had been changed :whistle:

SWMBO's Honda Jazz (she's NHS and they were designed for nurses) has scratches / parking dents on every panel and the bumpers. I can't be bothered getting it fixed but probably should.

My Peugeot Tepee looks like it's a mobile skip: it was driven into a car park barrier damaging the doors, sills and roof. Having had one careless old lady owner I don't care what it looks like. The engine's been re-built and it's unlikely to be stolen. As a bike shipping device to races / for purchases and a race support wagon it's great.

screenman

Legendary Member
+1 to thinking the door handle had been changed :whistle:

SWMBO's Honda Jazz (she's NHS and they were designed for nurses) has scratches / parking dents on every panel and the bumpers. I can't be bothered getting it fixed but probably should.

My Peugeot Tepee looks like it's a mobile skip: it was driven into a car park barrier damaging the doors, sills and roof. Having had one careless old lady owner I don't care what it looks like. The engine's been re-built and it's unlikely to be stolen. As a bike shipping device to races / for purchases and a race support wagon it's great.

I do not think you would rank high on the type of customer I would market too.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Apologies in advance as this is not a 'Fettled Today' post, but more of a 'will Fettle tomorrow' question.. During my last few rides I have been driven mad trying to pin point a noise which I have finally determined as being the front disc brake pads rattling in the caliper. Has anybody had to cure this same problem themselves?

Apologies in advance as this is not a 'Fettled Today' post, but more of a 'will Fettle tomorrow' question.. During my last few rides I have been driven mad trying to pin point a noise which I have finally determined as being the front disc brake pads rattling in the caliper. Has anybody had to cure this same problem themselves?
Rim brakes...
:biggrin:

JPBoothy

Veteran
Rim brakes...
:biggrin:
Ha Ha, I won't disagree with you on that one but I like the other 99% of my bike so I learn to live with them. Unfortunately, I have the mechanical ones rather than the better performing hydraulic type too. Although having said that, I recently upgraded them to a second hand pair of TRP Spyres (duel piston) and they are actually quite good.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Finished the Raleigh SP Race last night with new gear cable inner & outers in red, having removed a very stuck inner cable on the RH shifter. Then added a KMC chain and red bar tape.

I'm still waiting for a washer for the LH crank and will then set up the front derailleur. Otherwise it's done. Total spend by me: £8 plus the frameset / parts supplied and parts from the shed. I should get £20-40 selling the supplied crank and bars with a net spend of around £70-80 for a bike that'll hopefully do me as a 'best' bike until March.

DSCF7019.JPG

One issue is the chip on the downtube underside, under the 'A', which concerns me a bit:

IMG_20200812_173220.jpg

davidphilips

Veteran
If my bikes were new and could be replaced 'like for like' on the insurance then I would be annoyed but not as much as I would be when left trying to replace my much loved older models. You become attached and get to know the various little niggles don't you.. I have been looking on Ebay for a set of those spiked walls that close in like in the Indiana Jones movies but they are impossible to find. I was even thinking of that massive boulder that rolls down the narrow passage but that would just be overkill and would crush my bikes too :whistle:
Maybe look out for one of these car alarms, dont know the best place to get them or even best place to dump any body they catch?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U4ZYOBzEEs

JPBoothy

Veteran
Finished the Raleigh SP Race last night with new gear cable inner & outers in red, having removed a very stuck inner cable on the RH shifter. Then added a KMC chain and red bar tape.

I'm still waiting for a washer for the LH crank and will then set up the front derailleur. Otherwise it's done. Total spend by me: £8 plus the frameset / parts supplied and parts from the shed. I should get £20-40 selling the supplied crank and bars with a net spend of around £70-80 for a bike that'll hopefully do me as a 'best' bike until March.

View attachment 541286

One issue is the chip on the downtube underside, under the 'A', which concerns me a bit:

View attachment 541287
Very nice.. Why the concern, is it a Carbon frame?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The bar end shifters didn't turn up but the downtube cable adjusters did, so I bolted them to the (rather nasty canary yellow) Eddy Merckx and also cut the gear cable outers to length.

Top Bottom