What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I fixed my mate's bike after his massive A&E-level smash yesterday. Bars and a brake lever needed straightening and both wheels needed a bit of truing. He was in hospital for 8 hours but it's just extensive cuts and bruises. His head (and everything else) hit the ground so hard that there was impressive blood spatter on the tarmac and on the inside of his helmet. He was incoherent for about 30 seconds and doesn't remember it.

Moral - don't make a full sprinting effort on a fixie with worn cleats and your SPDs on minimum tension. You might pull a foot out.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Great idea, can't be too careful and sounds like a 'proper job' :okay: We also seem to have had a spate of breakins in my area recently. I have gradually been improving my garage security over the past few years - I installed an electric roller shutter in place of the flimsy main door first, and more recently have removed the old wood and glass personnel door and replaced it with a modern reinforced composite door with a much smaller window. Both are held in with far more fixings than is really necessary, but at least I know if someone does get in I couldn't have done much more to stop them :laugh: Of course they'll also trigger the alarm and CCTV so I'll have a chance of either catching them at it or finding them later for a chat ;)
If my bikes were new and could be replaced 'like for like' on the insurance then I would be annoyed but not as much as I would be when left trying to replace my much loved older models. You become attached and get to know the various little niggles don't you.. I have been looking on Ebay for a set of those spiked walls that close in like in the Indiana Jones movies but they are impossible to find. I was even thinking of that massive boulder that rolls down the narrow passage but that would just be overkill and would crush my bikes too :whistle:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
With my son's new race bike not arriving until March next year, and my NeilPryde Nazare sold plus the Wilier Montegrappa out of action, I delved into eBay and today won the auction for a 2012 Raleigh SP Race frame / Formigli forks with parts (bottom bracket, headset, stem, bars, seatpost, crankset). Collected early this evening and checked over; whilst there's a bit of damage on the the downtube it's all otherwise OK apart from a damaged bottom bracket spacer that won't fit (ordered). Oh, and it was advertised as a 54cm frame but the sticker on it states 56cm. It should fit me ... just. This was the purchase with the almost new FSA Energy crankset and bottom bracket bearings in a bag:

s-l1600.jpg

The plan? To build a temporary 'best road bike' using only items from my bike parts storage. Now there is a full Dura-Ace groupset in there, but that's for a later project :whistle:

Having begun a rummage progress to date is this:

IMG_20200809_204606.jpg

- 40cm Deda handlebars swapped with a 42cm Specialized set, one damaged stem screw changed
- Shimano Ultegra 6800 crankset, pedals, brakes, front & rear derailleur fitted
- Shimano 105 5800 shifters fitted
- Bontrager Paradigm RL 128mm saddle fitted - white as I've used all my 128mm black ones
- Veltec Speed 42mm wheels with an Ultegra 11-28 cassette and GP4000 tyres added
- Elite carbon bottle cages (black and orange but I'd got no black/red/white only. Blue/gold/silver/green yes, but no black/white/red).

To do:

- Replace the damaged bottom bracket spacer (ordered at a cost of £3)
- Cables - probably white as I've several sets of Clarks white brake cables from a Halfords sale (all from stock so it may be a white brake and black/red gear cable combo). Edit: had another rummage and found a new set of red gear/brake cables so I'll use those.
- Chain from stock
- Bar tape - Prologo red from stock

To date only the spacer is going to be bought, with the FSA crankset and Deda bars the frameset came with being sold to cover some costs.

And no, you can't have a rummage. It's a deep and full parts base, described by SWMBO as "you've got an entire bike shop in there" :ohmy:

Last edited:

JPBoothy

Veteran
With my son's new race bike not arriving until March next year, and my NeilPryde Nazare sold plus the Wilier Montegrappa out of action, I delved into eBay and today won the auction for a 2012 Raleigh SP Race frame / Formigli forks with parts (bottom bracket, headset, stem, bars, seatpost, crankset). Collected early this evening and checked over; whilst there's a bit of damage on the the downtube it's all otherwise OK apart from a damaged bottom bracket spacer that won't fit (ordered). Oh, and it was advertised as a 54cm frame but the sticker on it states 56cm. It should fit me ... just. This was the purchase with the almost new FSA Energy crankset and bottom bracket bearings in a bag:

View attachment 540756

The plan? To build a temporary 'best road bike' using only items from my bike parts storage. Now there is a full Dura-Ace groupset in there, but that's for a later project :whistle:

Having begun a rummage progress to date is this:

View attachment 540754
- 40cm Deda handlebars swapped with a 42cm Specialized set, one damaged stem screw changed
- Shimano Ultegra 6800 crankset, pedals, brakes, front & rear derailleur fitted
- Shimano 105 5800 shifters fitted
- Bontrager Paradigm RL 128mm saddle fitted - white as I've used all my 128mm black ones
- Veltec Speed 42mm wheels with an Ultegra 11-28 cassette and GP4000 tyres added
- Elite carbon bottle cages (black and orange but I'd got no black/red/white only. Blue/gold/silver/green yes, but no black/white/red).

To do:

- Replace the damaged bottom bracket spacer (ordered at a cost of £3)
- Cables - probably white as I've several sets of Clarks white brake cables from a Halfords sale (all from stock so it may be a white brake and black/red gear cable combo)
- Chain from stock
- Bar tape - Prologo red from stock

To date only the spacer is going to be bought, with the FSA crankset and Deda bars the frameset came with being sold to cover some costs.

And no, you can't have a rummage. It's a deep and full parts base, described by SWMBO as "you've got an entire bike shop in there" :ohmy:
You don't hang around Mr Lane (or do you prefer DC) and they are right about that 'scrap/storage' box. It's looking good so far though :okay:

DCLane

You don't hang around Mr Lane (or do you prefer DC) and they are right about that 'scrap/storage' box. It's looking good so far though :okay:

Thanks - I get called David / DC / Mr Lane or even "oi you". The aim is to have the Raleigh ready this week as I'm relying on my audax bike at the moment; if I hadn't needed a spacer it'd have been finished tomorrow.

A lot of bikes/wheels/parts were sold last year to help fund my wife's new company, but there's enough left over to last a while.

JPBoothy

Veteran
I had a dabble on ebay myself and today agreed upon a price for a Genesis Day One 10 that I'll have to take a trip to Leeds for this week. I like their Steel bikes and already have a SS 'Flyer' road bike. This one is more of a SS Gravel bike with a lot more tyre clearance and Disc brakes so ideal for a bit of dirty rough stuff (if you know what I mean :ohmy:). It is currently sporting Flat bars and has been fitted with Shimano Hydraulic brakes but the sale includes the original drop bars/levers and mechanical Disc callipers should I wish to change it back. I have been after one of these for myself for a while but this one is for my teenage son who is not really at home on a bike. I thought a SS would stop him attempting to throw the chain and strip the teeth from the cassette on one of my bikes that he has commandeered 'and crashed spectacularly' during the lockdown. His new one just happens to be my size too :whistle:

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
The Hase Kettwiesel recumbent trike frame I'm working on has a front boom with a BB housing width (measured) of 65mm. Amongst the many items missing from the bundle of components I bought for a rebuild was the spacer / chainstube stay. I copied the design from plenty of web photos and a similar item that's on my original Hase Lepus.

Set up 705.jpg

Key stage 705.jpg

End result 1 705.jpg

End result 2 705.jpg

No dremel today - just careful use of the hand drill, files and carbide paper, using 3mm Al plate. It took a while, but I've now got that all important 68mm for the new Shimano BB-UN55.

gbb

Legendary Member
Sundays ride on the Carerra E immediately told me theres a minor problem, a light clattering from the RD. You could immediately see the cage was misaligned with the cassette.
Tonight, RD off the hanger, a tad of a pull with an adjustable spanner, refit RD , now almost perfect visually.

Question is...how did that happen ? cos I'm certain it wasnt me....(casts suspicious glance at my wife :smile: )

DCLane

Very slow progress on the Raleigh SP Race build this evening:

- The seatpost seemed small for the frame, so I had a look; a 27.2mm seatpost plus sleeve had been used which was why the seatpost clamp didn't quite fit. Swapped for a 31.6mm seatpost and correct-fitting clamp
- Front brake cable fitted in red fine
- Rear brake cable had a guide already fitted by the seller to help. Only it wouldn't work with the cable outer. 3 1/2 hours later, one cable outer and inner down I eventually got the red cable outer through the frame and inner fitted.

Gear cables and a chain will have to wait until Tuesday ...

JPBoothy

Veteran
Sundays ride on the Carerra E immediately told me theres a minor problem, a light clattering from the RD. You could immediately see the cage was misaligned with the cassette.
Tonight, RD off the hanger, a tad of a pull with an adjustable spanner, refit RD , now almost perfect visually.

Question is...how did that happen ? cos I'm certain it wasnt me....(casts suspicious glance at my wife :smile: )
Oh it won't be her fault! My wifes standard answer is usually "well it was okay when I used it".. :B)

JPBoothy

Veteran
Very slow progress on the Raleigh SP Race build this evening:

- The seatpost seemed small for the frame, so I had a look; a 27.2mm seatpost plus sleeve had been used which was why the seatpost clamp didn't quite fit. Swapped for a 31.6mm seatpost and correct-fitting clamp
- Front brake cable fitted in red fine
- Rear brake cable had a guide already fitted by the seller to help. Only it wouldn't work with the cable outer. 3 1/2 hours later, one cable outer and inner down I eventually got the red cable outer through the frame and inner fitted.

Gear cables and a chain will have to wait until Tuesday ...
I'm yet to have a bike with frame routed cables but from what I've read they seem to be a bit a faff.. Difficult to fish through and rattles etc..

DCLane

I'm yet to have a bike with frame routed cables but from what I've read they seem to be a bit a faff.. Difficult to fish through and rattles etc..

It depends on the bike, but this one was an absolute pain. Clearly for structural integrity there was one hole part-way down the top tube to thread the outer cable through. It must've been small as nothing else alongside would go through and with a cable inner as a guide the outer wasn't flexible enough to get past the hole.

The cable guide that had been fitted was useful to start with although it ended up being removed and I tried separately. In the end I succeeded with a different outer and a light, pulling the outer through the other end by locating it with a watch screwdriver when it was visible :cursing:

Anyway, gear cables and a chain today. Then testing and bar tape. Just waiting for a replacement crank outer cover to arrive and it'll be done. Time's tight this week and I've a TT bike to renew the brakes on, which will get priority as soon as they arrive.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
As I can access mine from the house, I’ve drilled through the sides of the up and over door and I use a couple of Allen keys as removable bolts
I have a wall anchor bolted to the garage floor and a padlocked chain from that to the thick central vertical member (fnarr!) of the door. It would certainly slow them down a lot.

Top Bottom