What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philtalksbx

Über Member
I made some tweaks to the fit of the Record Ace - I was getting a bit disillusioned that it was too big and would have to be sold on. I just couldn’t get comfortable on it.

As a new idea I changed the angle of the bars in the stem to bring the brake hoods up a bit (turns out I had been over-focused on moving them on the bars and not getting a good result) then moved the saddle forward a bit and ta-dah, suddenly it felt right.

A quick (very) 25km on a favourite route landed me half a dozen PBs on Strava and it just felt quick too. I now have no plans to sell it on, sorry. Those PBs by the way are over my 8kg carbon bike, so that is pretty good for a 1983 steel with a seven speed cassette. Happy days!

Try some Burts Guiness crisps then!
:hungry:

I'll keep an eye out for them. I do like a good crisp. :hungry: (Except salt & vinegar or pickled onion... Bleurgh...)

81269CEA-4673-4F5F-A234-F1EC02C4B9AB.jpeg

Took this new in June cassette off to clean and noticed the deep grooves the also new in June KMC X11 link pins have made.

chip butty
Something else that's entirely passed me by...

figbat

Slippery scientist
Replaced the slightly wobbly and wholly ineffective Weinmann front caliper on the Kingpin with a brand new, dual-pivot, long-drop Dia-Compe one from SJS for just £17. Also replaced the slightly bendy Weinmann brake lever with a 3-finger one from an old MTB. The first brake test after this upgrade had me literally laughing out loud as the vintage bike stopped in a way no vintage bike has a right to. For the first time ever I managed to lock the rear wheel as a consequence of the front brake being so good. And this is on the standard chromed steel rim - I have an alloy one to go on at some point.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Last Saturday my youngest had a flat at Knowsley due to a load of glass on the track. New Conti GP Supersonic tyre fitted with replacement latex tube; the old tyre was about done anyway.

Also I drilled some holes in his brake pads on the PlanetX hillclimb bike before Sunday's hillclimb :whistle: . I reckon it's saved about 10g although the bike without pedals is 5.5kg. The brake hoods haven't been swapped for heat-shrink plastic yet as the one we've got is too narrow so that's another job waiting.

DSCF7020.JPG

C R

Guru
Last Saturday my youngest had a flat at Knowsley due to a load of glass on the track. New Conti GP Supersonic tyre fitted with replacement latex tube; the old tyre was about done anyway.

Also I drilled some holes in his brake pads on the PlanetX hillclimb bike before Sunday's hillclimb :whistle: . I reckon it's saved about 10g although the bike without pedals is 5.5kg. The brake hoods haven't been swapped for heat-shrink plastic yet as the one we've got is too narrow so that's another job waiting.

View attachment 547858
Genuine question, how much difference in the final time does he get from that sort of weight shaving?

Top Bottom