What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
What crankset are you going to use?
I'm not sure to be honest as I know little about them and even spoke to Dolan and Brick Lane Cycles but they were quoting big money which I'm not prepared to pay on a bike that I bought cheap and have enjoyed tinkering with (except for the BB incident) myself. I will a buy decent BB but won't go overboard on the crank set. Not cheap and nasty though or 2nd hand either.

I'm not sure to be honest as I know little about them and even spoke to Dolan and Brick Lane Cycles but they were quoting big money which I'm not prepared to pay on a bike that I bought cheap and have enjoyed tinkering with (except for the BB incident) myself. I will a buy decent BB but won't go overboard on the crank set. Not cheap and nasty though or 2nd hand either.

Spa Cycles do some nice cranksets at a decent price. :okay:

JPBoothy

Veteran
Spa Cycles do some nice cranksets at a decent price. :okay:
Forgive my ignorance on what may be an obvious question here but, why does a SS crank set have to be Axle length compatible (i.e - "suitable for a 103mm Axle length") ? Surely as long as the tapered end is the same (ISO/JIS) then it should fit on every axle length? I appreciate the importance of getting the Axle length right so that the chainline is correct but not how it affects the 'fit' of the crank set itself :wacko:

Forgive my ignorance on what may be an obvious question here but, why does a SS crank set have to be Axle length compatible (i.e - "suitable for a 103mm Axle length") ? Surely as long as the tapered end is the same (ISO/JIS) then it should fit on every axle length? I appreciate the importance of getting the Axle length right so that the chainline is correct but not how it affects the 'fit' of the crank set itself :wacko:

That was my thought as well. I just bought a triple with more teeth to replace a triple with too few teeth and simply bunged it on... :scratch:

Gunk

Guru
Our toaster on the workbench today, the timer had stopped working. £12.79 for a new one and 15 minutes to fit it.

9800B5E1-9A37-4989-B69A-225FDA456553.jpeg

A8229B1A-4D88-4BFE-87C4-8BE2A37A330C.jpeg

DA325FE0-B7C8-4493-AB6C-66C2E0AFBC89.jpeg

40A353A3-CAFB-4818-AE6D-61CFA868D564.jpeg

JPBoothy

Veteran
What do you use to keep your toaster so shiny?
The central bit (with the slots) on mine looks fine, but the ends are going really dull.
It's the bits that fall in that always kill ours off.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

Single speed chains are not designed to flex side to side like that for derailleurs. Get the chain line out and you are likely to see many dropped chains.

JPBoothy

Veteran
What do you use to keep your toaster so shiny?
The central bit (with the slots) on mine looks fine, but the ends are going really dull.
I can understand the importance of Axle length if you have a Front Derailleur as it could hinder you changing from one chainring to another but if you only have one anyway then whats the reason? I thought changing my BB would be an easy job but the terminology and options are a minefield (BSA/ISO/JIS/68mm/73mm etc..) :wacko:

However, I'm actually enjoying learning new things in a weird way.

Gunk

Guru
I'm surprised you didn't clean and detail the crankset before you refitted it, WD40 and wire wool would have had that looking like new. Plus it's so easy to clean it when it's off the bike.

Top Bottom