What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davelincs

I’ve just removed the rear wheel, removed the cassette and chain both soaking in a degreaser solution, washed the bike down, having a cuppa now , will be assembling soon ,and trying out some new smoove lube,I’ve had for a few weeks, hope it’s as good has I’ve been told, a mate recommended it , I will let you know my thoughts when it’s had a good run or two

Gunk

Guru
Fitted some new SwissStop brake shoes to my TRP canti brakes today, the previous Shimano shoes didn’t inspire much confidence, hopefully these will be better. First impressions are positive.

423955B1-6CA2-452D-9C3A-A84A7719D665.jpeg

EFF4F086-47D9-4010-9B10-217DF23B0F22.jpeg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Quick test ride to the shops and they’re much better. I also shortened the pull so they’re much sharper.

View attachment 578100
Can't you get your lock through the front wheel rim as well?

I have a lock which IS big enough to do the bike frame and a wheel. I reckon a sneak thief would be more likely to nick the front wheel because it is quicker and less messy (oily chains/fingers) to get out than the rear one.

Mike_P

Guru
The Spa Cycles shop itself is a "hard to find item"... :laugh:

I was in Harrogate with my cyclist cousin and we decided to pay them a visit. Without using Google Maps we probably wouldn't have located them! (The shop is tucked away on some kind of industrial estate.)

View attachment 578045
Its a pity there is not an entrance off the road behind the shop, The Avenue, which leads straight onto the cycleway along an old railway line that connects with NCN67 Nidderdale Greenway. At least the fencing is useful for bike locks in the absence of anything else, and probably better than Chevin who have those horrible (create a buckled) wheel tube things.

JhnBssll

Veteran
This evening I refitted the winter wheels and mudguards to the Pilot complete with the new mudflaps I installed yesterday. She may get a ride out tomorrow afternoon to collect the car from the garage if it's ready in time and it's been pretty damp these last few days :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Re-measured the saddle height on the recently refurbished Ribble and it was 5mm too low, so adjusted that.

Then I removed the drive side bearing on my Praxis GXP BB off the full suss as it was a bit stiff. Blasted the crud out with brake cleaner and repacked with grease.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Saddle swap - lightly used second hand Charge Spoon for a very heavily used (minimum 10,000 miles of arse cheek/saddle interface in under 5 years on the main commuter) and tatty condition Charge Spoon.

As an aside, it seems like production of the Spoon has re-started as a number of places seem to have got new stock.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Saddle swap - lightly used second hand Charge Spoon for a very heavily used (minimum 10,000 miles of arse cheek/saddle interface in under 5 years on the main commuter) and tatty condition Charge Spoon.

As an aside, it seems like production of the Spoon has re-started as a number of places seem to have got new stock.

I love the Charge spoon on my commuter - it's a Charge Plug so came with a Spoon as standard, I wasn't aware they were 'special' until some time later :laugh: Unusually though, when I tried to use one on another bike it just wasn't as comfortable :wacko: The only thing I can think of is I don't use padded shorts on the commuter, so maybe the Spoon fits my natural arse shape but not my arse with enhanced cushioning :laugh: Good to hear they're potentially back in production though :okay:

As an aside, have you cycled past my house recently? :laugh:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
<snip>
As an aside, have you cycled past my house recently? :laugh:
Not past, but a couple of weekends ago I went into Claydon and turned off at the triangle and up the Old Norwich Road, but not without a quick check up the road to see how much work you'd done.

Did you know your handywork (as of December 2020) can now be seen on Google Streetview - I won't link for obvious reasons.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Good. Mine was quite hard to get in January.

Top Bottom