What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Swapped my shifter hoods from black to blue. I am quite pleased with the quality of the Chinese rubber. Sets off the bike nicely, it only has Claris R2000 on it.

I need to get round to changing the stem spacers to some carbon ones I have and refit a bell.

Good bar wrapping foo and yes I also think that looks better

Mike_P

Guru
The dehumifier in the bike shed has been relatively fine, although even with the drain tube seemingly well attached the water tank still fills up. Think come summer I might see if its possible to look inside to figure out how its drainage works. Any way mid week and having had the ebike out late in day for some tinkering I pushed it back in the shed for an almighty clatter to occur along with a loud squealing noise. With a light source switched on (a front light) discovered the wires associated with the humidity controller all tangled up with the ebike and the display reading ER. Disconnected the controller and left the dehumifier working off its inbuilt sensor (no idea where to turn the control knob to) . Eventually discovered the plug on the end of the lead inside the humiidty sensor had come disconnected; quite how it managed that if it had been put together right as the wire loops around a peg to act a cable clamp.
Spent time today with cable tie mounts and a roll of exterior mounting tape making all the cables tight against the inside of the shed and the controller, sensor and sockets also stuck in place:okay:
Sun was now out - um, time to go out on the road bike, ah! flat front tyre - that took two attempt to fix the puncture of the inner tube during which I tried to remove the RH Crank bolt on the ebike in order to easily fit a chainring bolt fitted chain guard - could not shift the bolt so tried fitting the chain guard without removing the chainring only to find the chainring bolt spacers I had, even doubled, tripled, quadrupled were not wide enough:sad: Trips needed to Screwfix tomorrow for a drill mounting nut spinner and Spa on Monday for some thicker spacers.
Packed up, opened the fridge door and discovered a 2 pint bottle of milk had leaked nearly a pint into bottle container on the door:cursing:

Last edited:

Tom B

Guru
But other than that all okay @Mike_P ?

For my fettling got the new bearings out for my everyday wheel compared them to the existing good bearings and decided I was happy.

Put them all together with the axle bits in a tub on top of the fridge while I got on with making some pretzels.

*Not bad for first effort.

Snapped a gear wheel in the mixer. Found the part was more expensive than the mixer was so ordered a new mixer. Decided to get the rest of the bits for the old mixer off the top of the fridge and knocked the box off bits of bearings and axle bits down the back of the fridge. Anyways...

Fettled the little lads seat a bit further forward and lower. Then remembers my MTB bike seat post is wayyyyyy to long for the frame so whipped it out and chopped 6" off. That should see me 0.25s faster up the local climbs.

Gave the MTB a quick mickle and reset the pressures in the suspension to what I had written on my wall last year.

Noticed the kids in the street had set up a ramp / jump. Well it would have been rude not to.

(No I didn't fall)

A bit of enforced fettling for me today. The cr@p roads seem to have did in my rear mudguard brackets. Took me a while and then I figured out a bodge to stop it happening at every bump in the tarmac.

It wasn't pretty though so I bodged something better tonight. Electrical tape is a bit thicker than a bar wrapper so I'll see how well it holds as I doubt I got the bracket completely in the clip.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Been suffering the last few weeks with the outer flap on the letter box lifting and closing with the very the very lightest breeze so swapped it around and seems to be sorted

Gunk

Guru
A bit of enforced fettling for me today. The cr@p roads seem to have did in my rear mudguard brackets. Took me a while and then I figured out a bodge to stop it happening at every bump in the tarmac.

View attachment 577522

It wasn't pretty though so I bodged something better tonight. Electrical tape is a bit thicker than a bar wrapper so I'll see how well it holds as I doubt I got the bracket completely in the clip.

View attachment 577523

Looks like a nice Ti frame

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Just as an experiment, I changed the handlebars on my Pickenflick from 600mm flat bars to some 740mm MTB riser bars.The only problem I found after a test ride was getting it through the back door and into the shed thanks to the bars' width.

Mike_P

Guru
After a weekend of getting no where quickly rapid progress today after a two pound spend in Spa Cycles for a set of chainring spacers that you can easily pay £6+ each elsewhere. The new chain guard fitted to the ebike without taking the crank off, just enough space twix the spider and motor at one location to get the rear part of chainring bolt assembly sort of in place and then tease with allen key in place.

Also a further quid spent on a mudguard bridge which allowed the rear mudguard on the Defy no longer to need a cable tie around the seat stays.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Replaced the mudflaps on the Pilot with some flashy colour coordinated Raw jobbies :okay: Very pleased with them ^_^

The front is similar in dimensions to the original but the rear is longer but skinnier. I'll likely try them out soon - since the weather is a bit grim again I'll be reinstalling them and swapping the wheels back over later this evening :laugh:

Top Bottom