What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I messed about with my bike fit on the fly while riding to try to rid myself of lower back pain. Ended up rotating the bars forward slightly as I had too much weight on my hands. I spotted that one as I looked at the bike from a distance and noticed the hoods were not level. Next I moved the saddle down a few mm’s as I was over extending one leg and I also moved the saddle forward a few mm to try and balance the out the leg stroke. I may end moving the saddle back if I find after a while it burns my legs.

I may end up moving the cleats forward a few mm as they are as far back as they go but can’t work out if that move my leg back or forward and how to compensate the saddle for/aft for best fit.

My back pain is due to a prolapsed disc and a curvy spine which makes my tummy stick out and bum stick out because it curves my spine.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
I'm recharging from my powerbank now. On the higher current output it has taken the GPS from 4% to 39% in 20 minutes so I agree that a quick top-up should be all that is needed. I'll be able to top-up the Edge 500 as well, either at the same stop or one of the others on a longer ride. (If I buy another cable I could do both at the same time, though the powerbank will split the charging current between the 2 outputs.)

For longer rides I use a top tube bag with a small 2500mah battery in it - coiled USB cable from that to the charge port on the Garmin. Computer runs off the external battery until that's depleted before switching to the internal. I also put snacks in the bag as well.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
2 new boots for the Van Nick. Ready for some nice, dry, spring and summer riding.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
With all the winter forest riding, the bike needed a proper wheels off clean. Whilst I was there I had a good look to check if anything needed replacing. Turns out one of the sealed bearings in one of the derailleur jockey wheels is running rough and the brake pads in the rear are on the low side. Along with needing a new gear cable, looks like I've got some fettling ahead of me.

Rescued a Ridgeback Velocity from my parents shed. It the bike I used to commute on 12 years, no idea how I lugged it up Dundass St back then. Pumped up the tyres and they seemed good, the brakes work fine in the stand. But the chain was rusted solid. I burst my multi tool last week so I had another go at it this week with a proper chain tool. Success, although I had to split the chain in two places to get it out of the jockey wheels.
Fitted the new chain and all seems good for now 🤔

Leaway2

Lycrist
Ha - I went out there after 17 hours and the Low Battery warning popped up just as I picked the device up.

I'm going to adopt battery conservation measures with it... I'll recharge it to 60% after any ride which takes the charge below 50%. 60% charge puts a lot less stress on the battery when charging and storing it. It should be plenty to last for my normal rides. I will charge it up from 60% to 80% just before my 100 km rides. If I am going to do 100+ miles, I'll take it up to 100% just before setting off so it isn't kept fully charged for long.

I'm recharging from my powerbank now. On the higher current output it has taken the GPS from 4% to 39% in 20 minutes so I agree that a quick top-up should be all that is needed. I'll be able to top-up the Edge 500 as well, either at the same stop or one of the others on a longer ride. (If I buy another cable I could do both at the same time, though the powerbank will split the charging current between the 2 outputs.)
I replaced my battery earlier this year, same capacity. Not sure why the 700's are not available. I think this battery will outlast my riding days and possibly me :angel:

si_c

Guru
Replaced the chain on the Kinesis - chain checker showing .75 so swapped in the spare and ordered a replacement. Also took the opportunity with the chain out to lubricate the pivots on the RD and the cables.

Top Bottom