What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
If you mean indoors - that's what I did but it didn't get a satellite lock through the glass. My Edge 500 can in that position so I was a bit surprised. I'm thinking of putting it in a sealed plastic bag out in my back yard tonight.
That would probably work, assuming the badgers don't take it in the night.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That would probably work, assuming the badgers don't take it in the night.
They'd have a bit of a climb to get in and out! :laugh:

I've never seen a live badger. I've seen a couple of dead ones at the roadside though.

My niece rang her mum the other evening in great excitement, having had a badger run out in front of her in Exeter. Unfortunately if they carry on doing that, sooner or later a car will get them!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Your battery test should work.

My Edge Touring doesn't always lock on to a satellite in the house, but mostly works well enough outside.

However, it conked out in Grizedale forest in the Lake District, presumably due to tree cover.

It was irritating because I was leading my brother and sister-in-law on a road circuit.

They didn't mind having to stop a couple of times at junctions and crossroads, but I wasn't able to provide the seamless leading experience I had intended.

DRM

Guru
Fitted a new freewheel & crankset to Ye Olde Ancient Raleigh to replace the extremely worn originals, but have now found that the BB axle will need replacing as the chainrings/cranks are too far out and the front derailleur won’t reach the large chain ring, but the gear skipping is now gone, as is the dork disc off the rear wheel

ColinJ

Blimey - the GPS is still working after 15 hours - I'm pleased with that! It is getting boring going out to check every 30 minutes so I'll check after 16 hours, 17 hours and so on... I imagine that it will pack up soon.

What battery did you fit?
@Sharky kindly donated the GPS and new battery to me so I don't know where the battery came from. Hopefully he will see that I tagged him and come along to tell you!

I'm not sure that one forum member tagging the same other member twice in the same thread actually works, so if Sharky doesn't make an appearance then try tagging him yourself, and I'm sure that he will be alerted to that!

Sharky

Guru
It was this one
Garmin Edge 200 Battery (bestbattery.biz)

@Leaway2
@ColinJ

Just tried my replacement, a Garmin 130+. A bit smaller screen and fairly basic, but compared to the 200, much more complicated.
All I use is mileage, avg speed & time, but I'll have a play with the other options in due course.

Also bought the tool kit to go with the replacement battery

ColinJ

Just tried my replacement, a Garmin 130+. A bit smaller screen and fairly basic, but compared to the 200, much more complicated.
All I use is mileage, avg speed & time, but I'll have a play with the other options in due course.
I'd never heard of the Garmin 130+ - that looks a handy little device.

The Edge 200 is still going after 16 hours. I don't intend to be doing any 16 hour rides in the near future! :laugh:

One day I fancy seeing how far I could ride in daylight one Midsummer's Day and around here that would be a maximum of 17 hours. It looks like a quick recharge at a cafe stop would be all that was needed for the 200 to see me through the ride. If I ever do it, I'll make it a forum ride - I can think of a few locals who would probably join me.

Sharky

Guru
I'd never heard of the Garmin 130+ - that looks a handy little device.

The Edge 200 is still going after 16 hours. I don't intend to be doing any 16 hour rides in the near future! :laugh:

One day I fancy seeing how far I could ride in daylight one Midsummer's Day and around here that would be a maximum of 17 hours. It looks like a quick recharge at a cafe stop would be all that was needed for the 200 to see me through the ride. If I ever do it, I'll make it a forum ride - I can think of a few locals who would probably join me.
Towards the end, I was down to 50% charge after a 90 minute ride.
Hope you cleared out those rides I did. I don't want you getting a free 126 miles added to your annual total :smile:
Cheers

ColinJ

Towards the end, I was down to 50% charge after a 90 minute ride.
Ouch! No, that wouldn't have been great. Ok for little local rides, but no long ones.

Hope you cleared out those rides I did. I don't want you getting a free 126 miles added to your annual total :smile:
Cheers
Ha ha - I did notice that you had left some on there!

I haven't really gone through all the different menus yet trying to see how it works. I'll reset everything

I think I'll go outside at the 17 hour point and bring it back in whether it has run out of juice or not. I was curious how long it would last but I am getting bored of traipsing out into the yard over and over...

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Racing looks to be returning. So, rather than do it last minute and not have time to get used to the race bikes, this morning I:

• Pulled son's Cervelo S3 race bike out, made a few adjustments and got it ready for him racing 3rd cat until his Ridley team bike arrives
  • Pulled son's Argon TT bike out, again a couple of adjustments and ready
  • Pulled my Principia TT bike out, a few more adjustments and ready
  • Pulled son's PlanetX hillclimb bike out and was fine, except the seat clamp has half-split. New one to be ordered.
  • He did a test ride on his BeOne just to make sure all the bits we've cleaned / replaced were all working.
After a ride I then looked at finishing the Raleigh Superbe-thing I bought last year. Adjusted the Sturmey Archer rear adjuster and now it's got all 3 gears. Saddle tightened up and a lot of metal polishing. It's 'done' as far as I'm happy with, photos tomorrow.

I'm in two minds about dismantling the front dynamo: it's not working well so I've disconnected it. However, as the Raleigh's probably not staying I could do with attempting a fix.

ColinJ

I think I'll go outside at the 17 hour point and bring it back in whether it has run out of juice or not. I was curious how long it would last but I am getting bored of traipsing out into the yard over and over...
Ha - I went out there after 17 hours and the Low Battery warning popped up just as I picked the device up.

I'm going to adopt battery conservation measures with it... I'll recharge it to 60% after any ride which takes the charge below 50%. 60% charge puts a lot less stress on the battery when charging and storing it. It should be plenty to last for my normal rides. I will charge it up from 60% to 80% just before my 100 km rides. If I am going to do 100+ miles, I'll take it up to 100% just before setting off so it isn't kept fully charged for long.

A powerbank extends the life of my Edge Touring.

Mine still works when plugged in, although Garmin being Garmin, some don't.

Taking the York/Humber Bridge ride as an example, without the powerbank the Touring conked out just as we returned to York.

With the powerbank, I left the cafe stop with a full battery, so plenty of power for the rest of the ride.
I'm recharging from my powerbank now. On the higher current output it has taken the GPS from 4% to 39% in 20 minutes so I agree that a quick top-up should be all that is needed. I'll be able to top-up the Edge 500 as well, either at the same stop or one of the others on a longer ride. (If I buy another cable I could do both at the same time, though the powerbank will split the charging current between the 2 outputs.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom