What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
A bit of cleaning and maintenance on the Crossfire e.
Rear wheel out...
Clean and inspect the cassette. Very dirty, cleaned. Looking worn on some teeth, note to myself, start looking for a replacement as well as a cassette removal tool. I have 2, one is Campag, one is shimano but for hollow axles.
Chain cleaned and lubed, wear checked, 75% indicator not dropping in so seems ok.
General clean of the whole bike.
Mud guards all off, give the bike a cleaner look.
Fit a bag to the crossbar.
Repair my Park Tools frame pump (not really a repair, one of the notches that allows you to extend and fix the length of the pump has snapped off, very disappointing considering the cost and age of it. Resorted to a wrap of tape around the broken bit...not very high tech but hey ho.

Jonjay

Über Member
Having got the bike back after a replacement shifter under warranty, used it as an opportunity to adjust the bars and levers a bit and try my hand at fitting new bar tape. Possibly should have got some cheap stuff to practice as found it a bit of a ball ache, with much swearing and rewrapping. Overall not too bad for a first effort

Trying to replace the drivetrain on my 2017 Emonda. Its was a frame replacement and initially built up with 2008 mechanical Ultrega.
I an trying to get new Ultrega mechanical or Di2. I simply can not get a bike store to get the parts any time soon. They claim lack of supply due to covid, is lack of supply a world wide issue ?

Tom B

Guru
Spent yesterday installing some trunking down the back of the house and along the extension so I can feed some network and coax along it for when our new tv / it unit arrives. Planned on allowing about 3 hours but everything that could go wrong went wrong so took all day.

This meant the bike washing / mickling took place early evening. Ably assisted by a three year old meant water went everywhere and drying and relubing was pretty basic.

Got up this morning, found it was minus 6 in the bike shed, went back in, put some thermals on, went out got the bike out. Firstly found the shifter wouldn't, then found the freehub was stuck in freewheel. Is this a common problem in cold weather? I've had a few do it this winter? I'm assuming it's frozen water causing the issue.

Took the bike in the house put the fan heater in then hub and shifter and had a brew.

Set off for work and found the rear wheel bearings were making some horrendous noises to accompany the knackered front hub. The noises got really horrible and alarming closer to work.

Got to work and tried dropping in some oil into the wheel earrings as a put me on. Somehow seemed worse.

Got home and stripped it out. Remembering this wheel hasn't been stripped for 3years and three winters of commuting. Oops.

The freehubbody was full of manky gritty brown water I've cleaned that out and it seems a lot better, but probably could do with being replaced if I can figure it out which one it is.

After I cleaned it up I was amazed how the cones and cups are in good condition. But don't you hate it when your balls get scored!

Rather than reassemble it I've stuck my spikes on for tomorrow and will hope alfrauds have some balls tomorrow.

After a curious lack of front braking, & commenting on here yesterday, see page 2; https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/disc-pads-glazing.268958/
I've been outside this morning, with the intention of swapping the pads front to rear, as a first line of investigation

Yesterday, when I pulled them out, I wet & dry'd them to try & remove a glaze. but on replacement, they were terrifying, even just in the drive
(they'd smoothed up..)

I tried a pair of older (genuine Shimano pads, that I'd replaced), they were better - but with too much lever travel for my preferences

So, with a bit of lateral thinking, a few grains of rock salt were put between the present pads (Discopads 'sintered') & ground-up
Once washed off, & replaced.....:okay::okay::okay:

Now admittedly, that's just based on trying them, up & down the drive, but they're biting like a LandShark chasing a scrote:laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I wanted to try navigating with my recently-fettled Edge 200 so I did one of my local loops using it and it worked flawlessly, unlike the Edge 500 that I have which I could never get to do that (it's a well-known problem and despite attempts to fix it, Garmin never seemed to really sort it out).

I already have an old Garmin Etrex which is reliable but it is big and clunky so I like the idea of using the small 500 for data and the equally small 200 for navigation.

What the ride reminded me of though is that my eyesight is getting worse and I really need help to read the small screen. THESE cycling glasses with reading inserts look good - I have just ordered a pair. I will save them for rides where I need to take the Edge 200 out with me and use my cheapo safety glasses when I don't. (For local rides I don't need help with navigation so I will just take the Edge 500 and I can still make out the numbers on that without help.)

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
Learnt a valuable lesson (don't buy taps from B&Q!).

Managed to salvage them with some brass base rings (£7 each) but 2 years is a poor show imho.

20210301_080653.jpg

20210303_181142.jpg

20210303_184956.jpg

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Right, first thing I did prior to putting the bike away for my break from cycling was to wash it. This caused a problem. Somehow, water got into the dyno hub and bollixed the bearings.
New hub arrived today so I stripped down the wheel, gave it a good clean and laced up the new hub into the old rim. Wasn't till I got the last nipple screwed in that I noticed I've laced the rim back to front. FFS! :cursing:
Repeat wheel strip planned for tomorrow and second attempt to do it properly.

si_c

Guru
Right, first thing I did prior to putting the bike away for my break from cycling was to wash it. This caused a problem. Somehow, water got into the dyno hub and bollixed the bearings.
New hub arrived today so I stripped down the wheel, gave it a good clean and laced up the new hub into the old rim. Wasn't till I got the last nipple screwed in that I noticed I've laced the rim back to front. FFS! :cursing:
Repeat wheel strip planned for tomorrow and second attempt to do it properly.
Like becaused I've sort of done that - run ahead with myself then realised that I'd laced everything one hole out so the valve stem was in the wrong place.

Trying to replace the drivetrain on my 2017 Emonda. Its was a frame replacement and initially built up with 2008 mechanical Ultrega.
I an trying to get new Ultrega mechanical or Di2. I simply can not get a bike store to get the parts any time soon. They claim lack of supply due to covid, is lack of supply a world wide issue ?
Yup...

Bodge repaired my rotavator. Crummy idler pulley is 2 62012 bearings stacked with a nylon sleeve over both. Nylon sleeve held on with nought but friction, yes...
Contact adhesive saves the day. Friend asked why not turn an alu sleeve and press fit. I pointed to the garden, things need planting.
The pulley spitting the sleeve off unnoticed for a while has spoiled the poly V belt, it can wait.

After breakfast I'm off to fight with the dry earth.

Top Bottom