What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
Serviced the shimano spd-sl pedals (pd-6620) on the daily commuter. As usual tighten up the bearings to just tight, repack with grease to push the old grey stuff out and remount with bucket of copper ease. Then decide too tight as the pedals not returning to 'neutral' under gravity. remove, loosen a bit, refit, then repeat until bored. Which was today twice. I'll wait for more of the old grease to work its way out and get annoyed in the mean time when reclipping in and fluffing it for a bit instead.
I also lightly greased the drop outs as the pedal service is chasing some terrific groaning and clicking "from the bottom bracket" that was not cured by replacing the actual bottom bracket last week. I now have a perfectly serviceable part worn BB in my toolbox.

I also lightly greased the drop outs as the pedal service is chasing some terrific groaning and clicking "from the bottom bracket" that was not cured by replacing the actual bottom bracket last week. I now have a perfectly serviceable part worn BB in my toolbox.

I have a very slight creaking in a certain gear that has been part of my bike for several years despite changing all the components that could possibly cause it...

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Cleaned the Avanti Circa winter cross bike after using it on a club ride today. It needed a clean as I can't remember when it was last done xx(

My Peugeot Tepee's got a cracked exhaust manifold. Given this car's got 150,000 miles and it's old/battered but still runs well I thought I'd try using some JB Weld to fix the crack. It worked with an old car I had about 15 years ago. Suitably mixed & filled and we'll see tomorrow if it works as I'm off to Scarborough.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Re-positioned the front mech on the Renown - somehow managed to get turned on the tube. Parallax error :-) Anyway, turned into a long-winded journey into ‘Is the thread in the clamp stripped/Is the bolt the wrong size/why can’t I find a longer replacement/is it wrong to use an inner tube retaining nut for a spacer/where is the aluminium foil/why did Suntour use such crap alloy’ land. Then adjust the brakes (been doing a few miles).

Gunk

Guru
Today I pulled out my Gary Fisher MTB from deep storage, I bought it pre Covid for £15 stuffed it away and forgot about it. Gunk Jnr wanted a hack to get in and out of Oxford so I dragged it out and stuck it on the stand. When I bought it, it came with a carrier bag of bits. It was sold as spares or repair and it looks as if someone just lost interest in it. Everything was there apart from a chain, seat post and seat. I had an old seat and post so £10 later (chain from Decathlon) it was all together and rides really well.

It needs a new RH shifter as it’s 7 speed and the cassette and mech are 8 speed, eBay came to my rescue £8 for new one, so less than £35 and it’s a nice little bike.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
After Wednesday's brake disc sizing & pad identification error with the Giant flatbar, the correct parts were collected together over the remainder of the week and fitted this afternoon, along with a change of pads all round on the Picknflick

Punkawallah

Über Member
Replaced broken rear drive side spoke on the Galaxy. Turns out the others weren’t too clever, either. DT Swiss from Rose cycles quote 12 week delivery, so t’ebay to the rescue with 10 for £10.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Finished the 2 speed conversion on the titanium Brompton. It's not much lighter than it was as a 3 speed :rolleyes: but it is a pound lighter than a factory S2L-X. No mudguards, but it does have bar ends and a bottle cage, which are about the same weight. Most of the extra saving comes from the Flite saddle and original titanium seatpost, which wasn't available for long. Cost £80 new and robdogs sell them for three times that nowadays!

Last edited:

DCLane

I've been slowly cleaning up the Raleigh Strada I bought a couple of weeks ago. Having sourced some replacement brake hoods, albeit in black, it's ready for a sale attempt on here and RetroBike rather than stripping it down. Today I finished cleaning, adjusted the cables and swapped the brake hoods from a different pair of brake levers:

DSC00173.JPG

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Converted an Islabike Luath 700 from drop bar to riser bar. All straightforward. Not happy with the brake levers, they are not the best quality, but will be fine for now until I find a better pair - one of the current new ones will not adjust the lever reach as the screw hole has rounded out and the hex bolt just slips. The levers are perfectly fine for stopping the bike though, no issues there. I'm going to find a more robust set. My own fault trying to save money on the brake levers as I paid a little more for the gear trigger shifters to get the ones I wanted.

DCLane

We've been working on my son's hillclimb bike this evening. The seatpost has an annoying habit of going down; it's supposed to be for a 31.4 seat tube, but measures for a 30.8 despite what's printed on it. And no, we're not using another as the seatpost weighs only 90g.

Tried tape. Didn't work. Tried non-slip tape. Too wide. So we used masking tape, which has worked.

Then, as I'm putting the wheel covers on, a front spoke goes :cursing: . It needed a replacement front tub anyway, but it looks like the allloy spoke nipple's snapped. I really hope it's not a bonded one as the wheels are 1100g.

I'll use the time it's out of storage to swap the shifter hoods for heat-shrink plastic (should save 40-50g) and remove the left Di2 shifter internals and non-brake levers (saving 20g or so), with the aim of bringing the bike down to 5.3kg.

The joys of working with an ultra-light bike :cry:

Last edited:
Top Bottom