What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After a recent ride where the chainring started to foul the frame I've taken the opportunity to update the Kingpin to a cotterless chainset and some new pedals. I went for an inexpensive Stronglight ST55 from Spa Cycles (partly for the cost, partly because the higher spec single chainring sets are currently out of stock in 170mm), the recommended 119mm bottom bracket and some "rat-trap" style pedals. Stepping down from 48 to 46 teeth seemed like a good idea to ensure a little more frame clearance and changing from a 17 to a 16 tooth sprocket at the rear would ensure the gearing would stay approximately the same.

The old chainset and bottom backet came off nice and easily (something you can't take for granted on a 42 year old bike) and the new parts went on. Unfortunately the bottom bracket is too long for this application. Much measuring and reference to spec sheets later and I thought that a 110mm would be nearer the mark, although a 107 also seemed to be an option. This time the BB came from SJS Cycles as I also wanted to order a new 16 tooth sprocket, thinking that it would be good to have all new parts rather than all new except for the sprocket with indeterminate number of miles already under its belt.

The new parts came on Saturday and I'm pleased to say 110mm is exactly right for this bike.:okay: The new parts look in keeping with the vintage of the bike and it feels nicer to ride now.

Last edited:
After a recent ride where the chainring started to foul the frame I've taken the opportunity to update the Kingpin to a cotterless chainset and some new pedals. I went for an inexpensive Stronglight ST55 from Spa Cycles (partly for the cost, partly because the higher spec single chainring sets are currently out of stock in 170mm), the recommended 119mm bottom bracket and some "rat-trap" style pedals. Stepping down from 48 to 46 teeth seemed like a good idea to ensure a little more frame clearance and changing from a 17 to a 16 tooth sprocket at the rear would ensure the gearing would stay approximately the same.

The old chainset and bottom backet came off nice and easily (something you can't take for granted on a 42 year old bike) and the new parts went on. Unfortunately the bottom bracket is too long for this application. Much measuring and reference to spec sheets later and I thought that a 110mm would be nearer the mark, although a 107 also seemed to be an option. This time the BB came from SJS Cycles as I also wanted to order a new 16 tooth sprocket, thinking that it would be good to have all new parts rather than all new except for the sprocket with indeterminate number of miles already under its belt.

The new parts came on Saturday and I'm pleased to say 110mm is exactly right for this bike.:okay: The new parts look in keeping with the vintage of the bike and it feels nicer to ride now.

View attachment 596168
Nice looking machine - still retro, but with a few modern touches. At least the BB upgrade is straight forward on a KP, unlike the R20 with its awkward shell length and thread pitch :angry:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Two lots of bike work today - with mixed results.

First up was the Van Nicholas which is the main commuter bike. Having found out how badly worn the rear wheel was last week, I treated it to a new wheelset (picked up on the cheap from Superstar Components nearly 2 years ago), tyres (Michelin Pro 4 Endurance) & tubes, plus a change of bar tape as the old stuff was getting somewhat grubby and gave the cassette a soak & clean in degreaser while changing over the wheels. A quick re-set of the positioning of the pads to account for the new rims and a couple of photos showing the updated spec for ID purposes in the unlikely event it gets nicked and it's ready to go.

Then the Giant flatbar which, on Sunday night's very wet commute home, was making some horrendous noises from the disc brakes. A search of my spares box turned up a couple of old discs with light use and a couple of pairs of pads so I set to work. Front wheel off, disc & pads changed and then on to the rear. It was only as I was removing the last of the bolts holding the rotor on that I saw the "140" etched on it - in 6 years of ownership & even while starting to remove the disc I'd never noticed that it was smaller than the front one! Tightened the bolts back up and moved on to the pads, only to find out that they were spare SRAM fitment pads for one of the other bikes which will teach me for not checking everything carefully. Correct rotor & pads now on order.

C R

Guru
Yesterday, new cassette and chain on the commuter. I've sort of neglected it, and it was making horrible noises during the school run. I had the parts so thought I might as well fix it, as I will start going to the office from time to time soon.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Bits and pieces today;

- Adjusted son no. 2's BeOne after a couple of races, including being used by another rider at the CiCLE Classic last weekend.
- He also wanted to test a different set-up on his Cervelo, so that's ready as well. I'm not sure testing it in a 2/3/4 race on Sunday up/down Oliver's Mount at Scarborough is the best option though :wacko:
- New bar tape on the Raleigh SP Race I have as the old tape's xx( . It's only £1 tape as I'm considering a bar swap to one of the spare 3T Aeronova bars he has if his delayed Ridley's delayed any more.

Last edited:
A friend of mine asked me to look at his bike as he was getting a bit of noise from his front disk brakes.

I took the pads out and they were worn down to the metal on one pad and the bottom half of the surface on the other was missing. The inside of the disk is quite scratched so I will probably recommend a new disk as well as new pads.

He has absolutely no idea of looking after a bike, leaves them out in the rain every day, drops them against walls, has no idea that you can clean mud off a bike, and gets a new mid-range bike every two or three years. On the plus side he gives me his old bikes which I take into the community bike workshop I volunteer at. There are always plenty of good spares on them for other bikes.

Top Bottom