What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Aldi have baggy shorts with a lycra liner for £5.99 reduced from £7.99 this week if they have any left. I have bagged a set, they are good enough for the money.
I've just been to my local Aldi. They didn't have the shorts, but they were doing the short liners for £2.99 so I bought a pair. My baggy shorts have a skimpy liner and the Aldi liner is also quite thin, so together they should be pretty comfy. I'll test the combination on my 100 mile forum ride tomorrow!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Some idiot (me) refitted the AM axle key cap instead of the AW one when converting a Sturmey-Archer AM to the AW-style toggle. So I had to pull it all apart and swap it over. The AW cap is fractionally deeper, with smaller square slots in each side. It is easy to mix them up.

It worked as it was, but the axle key could rotate, making fitting the toggle after fixing a puncture, a bit of a faff.

ColinJ

Gave the Racelight a once over before tomorrow's ride, it's not been cleaned in a while, but it wasn't particularly filthy either. Checked brake pads etc, seems all good.
I hope that I won't regret trying to get one or two more rides from my front brake pads! They are worn, but more at one end than the other so I have realigned them to wear them more evenly. We don't have many descents tomorrow so there should be little need for heavy braking. :whistle:

si_c

Guru
I hope that I won't regret trying to get one or two more rides from my front brake pads! They are worn, but more at one end than the other so I have realigned them to wear them more evenly. We don't have many descents tomorrow so there should be little need for heavy braking. :whistle:
Rim or Disc?

I embarked on a strip down and rebuild of my hack Tourer. It's a mid 90's Marin Kentfield of double butted chromoly. Here it is back from having the paint removed. I'm going to attempt to braze in another pair of bottle bosses under the DT. Some additional front rack beaze-ons and maybe even a flat mount rear disc mount if I'm feeling brave enough. First job is cut the head tube down by four or five mm to fit a non Shi**no headset.

ColinJ

Rim or Disc?
Rim, and yes - I HAVE destroyed a rim doing this before! :laugh:

Having said that, it was on a mountain bike and I was doing a severe descent which left me no choice but to carry on braking even though the wheel rim was screaming for mercy. I don't there is anywhere on this almost entirely flat route where heavy braking would be needed for more than a second or two.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I embarked on a strip down and rebuild of my hack Tourer. It's a mid 90's Marin Kentfield of double butted chromoly. Here it is back from having the paint removed. I'm going to attempt to braze in another pair of bottle bosses under the DT. Some additional front rack beaze-ons and maybe even a flat mount rear disc mount if I'm feeling brave enough. First job is cut the head tube down by four or five mm to fit a non Shi**no headset. View attachment 598202
What's the stack height? I have always been able to find a headset to fit, usually a Tange FL270C (which is excellent).

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
new tyres for the commuter as the cyclepath to work has shredded the originals, the grooves were full of grit and you could see the breaker in multiple places .
Gone for durano plus which were a pig to put on but nothing for the muck to get lodged in hopefully and the gel insert should give me a bit more protection.
Just ordered some better levers so i have a set for on the road too

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Bought a new 26" CX bike for my daughter as she's outgrown her 24". The new one is a Moda Major X and is in good condition with the odd mark. Most importantly, my daughter is really pleased with it.

IMG_39A3D2F156D8-1.jpeg

Got started by adjusting the brake cables and adding her Shimano M520 clipless pedals.

Next, I need to pick up some inner tubes (as I don't have any 26 x 1 3/8), new bar tape (probably a matching blue as white gets too grubby too quickly), a new inner gear cable for the front derailleur. It'll need new tyres and cassette for CX racing - mud tyres and the current cassette is 11-26 and I think she needs a bigger range for climbing.

Bought a new 26" CX bike for my daughter as she's outgrown her 24". The new one is a Moda Major X and is in good condition with the odd mark. Most importantly, my daughter is really pleased with it.

View attachment 598424

Got started by adjusting the brake cables and adding her Shimano M520 clipless pedals.

Next, I need to pick up some inner tubes (as I don't have any 26 x 1 3/8), new bar tape (probably a matching blue as white gets too grubby too quickly), a new inner gear cable for the front derailleur. It'll need new tyres and cassette for CX racing - mud tyres and the current cassette is 11-26 and I think she needs a bigger range for climbing.

That's really rather nice. Lucky girl. :okay:

I'm not going green. Oh no, I'm not... :rolleyes:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Fairly typical fettling session this morning.

Half an hour drinking coffee.
An hour watching how-to videos on youtube, drinking coffee
Worry about "you may or may not need spacers" do I? Feck knows.
Rant to wife about why is everything so complicated these days. Receive blank stare in return.
Displacement activity: The garage needs sweeping. One hour sweeping garage and faffing about.
Bike on stand.
Radio battery runs flat. Go inside to get a charger, and have a cup of coffee while I'm at it.
Step 1. remove widget with special plastic tool. It should only be fingertight. Have tool. Can't shift it. Nope, really can't shift it.
Go inside for bacon butty.
Send email to LBS booking bike in for work.

:smile:

Still at least the garage floor got swept.

Top Bottom