What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Bought a new 26" CX bike for my daughter as she's outgrown her 24". The new one is a Moda Major X and is in good condition with the odd mark. Most importantly, my daughter is really pleased with it.

View attachment 598424

Got started by adjusting the brake cables and adding her Shimano M520 clipless pedals.

Next, I need to pick up some inner tubes (as I don't have any 26 x 1 3/8), new bar tape (probably a matching blue as white gets too grubby too quickly), a new inner gear cable for the front derailleur. It'll need new tyres and cassette for CX racing - mud tyres and the current cassette is 11-26 and I think she needs a bigger range for climbing.
I've ordered Schwalbe CX Pro tyres, inner tubes and blue bar tape. Hopefully, they'll arrive in a few days as I have a very impatient girl wanting to get some practice in. I cannot get the cassette I want as it's out of stock everywhere - a sign of the times.

Today was a fiddle day, too achy to ride, so spanners out!
Swapped the Scott stem for a slightly shorter, steep rise stem. Need a little more upright. Put original grips back on.
Mixte: swapped to the comfy Norco saddle, in the vain hope of keeping it dry for a while. Humpert grips back on.
Sorted bits box, there will be stuff to sell soon!
:biggrin:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Feck up :sad:
decided to recable the RH shifter on the carrera as the shifting has been sluggish , i have done dozens of cables so an easy job .....

or so i thought :sad:
the cable end missed to stop in the shifter somehow and pulled through underneath it and is now jammed in there below the cable exit hole .
The only way i can see to get it out is to drill a hole in the side of the shifter as when you try to push it out from the other side it just jams against the inside of the shifter body .
To top it all i took off the lower plate to gain access and managed to drop the screw that hold it in and i cant find it :sad:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Took the baordman to another shop today to get the creaking BB sorted
i told them the issues and they said i should take it back but i have no faith in the original shop so i would rather pay to get it sorted .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My singlespeed bike transmission was becoming increasingly noisy on my recent Garforth forum ride. It turned out that the worn chainring was starting to snatch at the chain as it released it. I pinched a chainring from my turbo trainer bike as a temporary fix. The bike is nice and quiet again, and the pedalling action feels 'smoother'. The latter improvement could be purely due to me feeling better about the bike now that it doesn't sound like a faulty washing machine! :laugh:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Let us know if they give a 10 mph average speed boost 😁
They are definitely faster than the Durano tyres. Looking forward to a proper long ride test.

-----

Fettling today consisted of replacing an 11-26 cassette on my daughter's new-to-her bike with an 11-32. I went to change the tyres too with the new ones that arrived this morning and discovered I had the wrong size - the wheels are 650A and not 650B. Spent a couple of hours looking for others to no avail. Half way through while texting a mate about cassettes, I mentioned the tyres issue - he evidently looked for me too but with success! He even rang the shop to find out if they had any in stock - no, but they are coming in next week! Success!

ColinJ

I had the wrong size - the wheels are 650A and not 650B.
I didn't even realise that there were 2 different versions... Mind you, I haven't got any bikes with either size wheels so it doesn't affect me! :okay:

650a is slightly smaller than 650b I believe but as 650b is a common size for wheelchair users there is a mass market unlike A’s which is a bit more niche as it’s a classic wheel size from older generation bikes. I believe the difference in radius is about 4mm so if there is enough play in the calipers it might be worth the swap at some point?

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
650a is slightly smaller than 650b I believe but as 650b is a common size for wheelchair users there is a mass market unlike A’s which is a bit more niche as it’s a classic wheel size from older generation bikes. I believe the difference in radius is about 4mm so if there is enough play in the calipers it might be worth the swap at some point?
The wheels I have are about 20mm bigger than the standard size. I’m more than a little annoyed at the odd wheel size. Fortunately, my daughter should grow out of the bike before I need to change the tyres again, once I’ve got the CX tyres on.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
What size frame is it, just out of interest?
I'll have to measure it.

I have sourced (or rather a friend managed to find them while I was busy pulling my hair out) some CX tyres - there is only one make available for 37-590 wheels: Kenda K812 (can't get 35-590 CX tyres). The shop should get them in at the end of next week. It has been a real pain in the derrière. What is annoying is I got a set each of road and commuter tyres with the bike, but my daughter needs CX mud tyres. Hopefully all will be resolved soon.

I'll have to measure it.

I have sourced (or rather a friend managed to find them while I was busy pulling my hair out) some CX tyres - there is only one make available for 37-590 wheels: Kenda K812 (can't get 35-590 CX tyres). The shop should get them in at the end of next week. It has been a real pain in the derrière. What is annoying is I got a set each of road and commuter tyres with the bike, but my daughter needs CX mud tyres. Hopefully all will be resolved soon.

Might be tempted when your lass grows out of it - if it's the right size... :blush: Might get lynched, but hopefully by then I'll have moved on the MTB that is too big for me. Well, that'll be my excuse when the time comes i.e. one out, one in... :whistle:

Need to rebuild the MTB though, it's currently a bare frame and a pile of bits - some of which have migrated to the Raleigh. :blush:

ColinJ

My singlespeed bike transmission was becoming increasingly noisy on my recent Garforth forum ride. It turned out that the worn chainring was starting to snatch at the chain as it released it. I pinched a chainring from my turbo trainer bike as a temporary fix. The bike is nice and quiet again, and the pedalling action feels 'smoother'. The latter improvement could be purely due to me feeling better about the bike now that it doesn't sound like a faulty washing machine! :laugh:
Aaargh... the noise came back after about 20 minutes of quiet riding!!!! I'm struggling to think what could make it do that... :wacko:

Top Bottom