What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is the bottom bracket facing round with no flat spots? Is it possible it is slightly misaligned so flexes the chainset when pedalling?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I got on the bike and rode it. Then got back and put it away. Wasn't even dirty, so no wash. Is that OK.

Bloody first this year. :laugh:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Feck up :sad:
decided to recable the RH shifter on the carrera as the shifting has been sluggish , i have done dozens of cables so an easy job .....

or so i thought :sad:
the cable end missed to stop in the shifter somehow and pulled through underneath it and is now jammed in there below the cable exit hole .
The only way i can see to get it out is to drill a hole in the side of the shifter as when you try to push it out from the other side it just jams against the inside of the shifter body .
To top it all i took off the lower plate to gain access and managed to drop the screw that hold it in and i cant find it :sad:
Update
In the end i drilled out an extension to the hole where the cable goes in to retrieve the cable end and managed to pull it out and put it ion properly , all working fine now :smile:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Replaced front brake cable outer on my daughter's new-to-her bike and replaced the bar tape. I think the old bar tape was the original from when the bike was new - it was originally white, but looked more black when I removed it. Now, it has nice blue tape to match the decals on the bike.

Next are new tyres which will be available to collect from 23rd, hopefully. It will also need a new gear cable for the front derailleur soon.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is the bottom bracket facing round with no flat spots? Is it possible it is slightly misaligned so flexes the chainset when pedalling?
But why would it come and go...?

Putting a new chain on has helped a lot.

I think it was a combination of a semi-worn chainring and chain, plus maybe a little bit of wear in the BB (though that feels pretty smooth when turning the cranks with no chain attached). I also want to try different pedals to see if they may have been contributing to the din.

I found a couple of BBs in my spares drawer which I could try swapping in some time if I have to. I'd have to check whether they were compatible first.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
But why would it come and go...?

Putting a new chain on has helped a lot.

I think it was a combination of a semi-worn chainring and chain, plus maybe a little bit of wear in the BB (though that feels pretty smooth when turning the cranks with no chain attached). I also want to try different pedals to see if they may have been contributing to the din.

I found a couple of BBs in my spares drawer which I could try swapping in some time if I have to. I'd have to check whether they were compatible first.
I've come to the conclusion that maybe just one ball bearing in the BB has developed a fault. Sometimes the faulty bearing surface might be in such a position as to be load bearing and therefore noisy. At other times, it might have turned in such a way that the damaged bit is not load bearing and therefore quiet.

I'll investigate the spare BBs tomorrow to see if one of them does the trick.

44 cm (from centre of BB to top of seat tube)

My Wiggins roadie is 38cm from BB to top of seat tube, but it's a more compact-style frame on 650c wheels. It's the standover height that'll swing it when the time comes. But please do bear me in mind for the future xxx

In the mean time, I hope your lass enjoys that very fine bike. She's a very lucky girl. :smile:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I replaced my 2 worn chainrings today, now running 48/33 instead of 48/34.
I bought TA chainrings, could anyone tell me what the small alloy spacer is for, it came in a bag with the larger spacer & Hex fixing that I fitted on the outer chainring behind the crank arm?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@LeetleGreyCells - out of interest why a Moda rather than an Islabike / Frog? I'm curious. They seem OK, just a little heavy for what they are.

For that size frame my son rode a battered old 650c wheel Islabike cross bike (upgraded to 16 speed from 8) alongside a new 650c Felt F95Jr which was extremely good for the £400 purchase price, followed by a 43cm Argon Krypton as a first 700c wheel bike.

si_c

Guru
Power meter crankset has been giving erratic readings since the Garforth ride, recalibrating, cleaning and reinstalling the chainrings failed to fix it. Seems a long standing problem I thought I had fixed has reoccurred.

Not convinced of its reliability so replaced with a new Shimano crankset.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
@LeetleGreyCells - out of interest why a Moda rather than an Islabike / Frog? I'm curious. They seem OK, just a little heavy for what they are.

For that size frame my son rode a battered old 650c wheel Islabike cross bike (upgraded to 16 speed from 8) alongside a new 650c Felt F95Jr which was extremely good for the £400 purchase price, followed by a 43cm Argon Krypton as a first 700c wheel bike.
It’s what was available in the size we needed and at the price it was a bargain too. And finally, when we went to have a look at it, my daughter fell in love with it and that was that. The weight difference isn’t much and she’s happy which means she’ll want to ride more. Besides, she’ll have grown out of it in 18 months…

I’ll also add that the geometry is perfect for her, the bike fits her like the proverbial glove.

Last edited:
A bit of enforced fettling last night. I made the mistake of pumping my front tyre to 100psi yesterday expecting the latex tube to lose pressure. It didn't and we were on the alternate TT course which is deceptively rough. First lap felt ok despite the terrible clip in but after hitting a pothole (thankfully not deep), the 2nd lap didn't feel right. By the time I got to the end the left extension was rather lose and by the time I got home I had a new UCI banned position.
20210715_203619.jpg

I better check the right extension before tomorrow's TT 😂

Top Bottom