What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
22 km into yesterday's 212 km audax, I lost drive as the free hub spun freely in both directions (my wife came and rescued me). So I've had a fettle to see what the issue is. As I am a cheapskate I really did not want to have to buy a new wheel and I've never laced a wheel if I were to only change the hub. However, tentatively, I don't think I will need to do either.

I removed the qr and axle, ball bearings, etc., cleaned the grease out then liberally sprayed the inside with WD-40 Fast Release Penetrating Spray that I already had. Boom! Free hub working again. Lots of rust coloured liquid coming out so I'm guessing the springs/pawls were simply seized. Wiped all the rusty liquid off and re-sprayed again, repeating the process three times. Now, I've left the wheel as is in the garage to air dry overnight. Tomorrow I'll put it all back together again and see if it's worked. At the minute, turning the freehub body with fingers, it's engaging as it should.

Fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
22 km into yesterday's 212 km audax, I lost drive as the free hub spun freely in both directions (my wife came and rescued me). So I've had a fettle to see what the issue is. As I am a cheapskate I really did not want to have to buy a new wheel and I've never laced a wheel if I were to only change the hub. However, tentatively, I don't think I will need to do either.

I removed the qr and axle, ball bearings, etc., cleaned the grease out then liberally sprayed the inside with WD-40 Fast Release Penetrating Spray that I already had. Boom! Free hub working again. Lots of rust coloured liquid coming out so I'm guessing the springs/pawls were simply seized. Wiped all the rusty liquid off and re-sprayed again, repeating the process three times. Now, I've left the wheel as is in the garage to air dry overnight. Tomorrow I'll put it all back together again and see if it's worked. At the minute, turning the freehub body with fingers, it's engaging as it should.

Fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞
I've just been wondering if I can dribble as little chain oil or similar into the tiny gap between the plastic freehub body and the hub - I know it's tiny, but that's where most of the rust coloured penetrant spray came out of; in order to keep the springs and pawls lubricated - what do you think? Or do I just leave things be if the free hub engages as it should after air drying tomorrow?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I really did not want to have to buy a new wheel and I've never laced a wheel if I were to only change the hub.
I don't understand the reference to lacing. Surely you just remove the old freehub and screw in a new one.

Unless, of course your campaign of squirting has fixed the old one.

Gunk

Guru
Cleaned and detailed my motorcycle this afternoon, luckily the sun came out, touched in some stone chips on the wheels, oiled the chain and checked all the fastenings. A very therapeutic couple of hours, all ready for it to get filthy again.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Tested the modifications to the CRS fitted to the old MTB.

Crud Reduction System.

Pop bottle mudflap wrapped in duck tape worked well but needed extending. Overlapped tape has improved crud reduction exponentially. Might add another 5cm.

View attachment 603537
That should work!

I put SKS Longboards on my CAADX. The front mudguard certainly lived up to its name - it was actually TOO long so I kept catching it on rocks, kerbs etc.

I trimmed a few cms off it; still loads of coverage but it now rarely snags on anything.

Chislenko

Veteran
Must be a mudguard day!!

I had an old broken front mudguard due for the skip so took the mudflap bit from it and "engineered" it on to the rear mudguard on my winter bike.

Of no help to me really but last winter I had an unannounced wheel sucker behind me for about a mile. I stopped at the traffic lights, he pulls up beside me and cheekily says " Your rear mudguard is not giving me any protection, I am getting all your spray" !!!!

So if you are about this winter sir, this is for you.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If anyone is wheel sucking me on the 'commute', then rat's pee infused canal water you will get. The 'flap' has about 5cm of duck take double wrapped, so is still very flexible. Will add a little more - BB was completely dirt free, but cranks and shoes copped for it. It doesn't do more than farm tracks and canal as off road now, occasionally a bit of rough, but it's handy for training and not getting me filthy. Also saves all the work on the FS - can save that for real off road.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
After losing drive 22km into an audax on Saturday, I discovered the springs and pawls in my free hub had seized. Sprayed it several times with WD-40 Penetrating Spray (different to regular WD-40) to unseize the mechanism and flush the crap out. Let it air dry before respraying each time. Today, I put it all back together today and it works perfectly, if not better than before.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Son's Columbus X-Wing has had a school year, when open, of commuting using greenways and canal paths. It looked xx( and ready for the annual service (he does check it over, but not a 'proper' service). Today it's had:

- New rear bearing on the Fulcrum 5 LG wheel, with everything cleaned and re-greased including the cassette that was xx( plus a new rear tyre
- New rear post mount brake pads
- New Velox Guidoline bar tape which looks nice - not expensive and very easy to fit
- New Shimano jockey wheels
- New Ultegra chain
- Paint on the bits he's chipped or scratched. There's probably more Humbrol enamel on there after 4 years' use than the original paint.

That should do it for another year, except for tyres/brake pads/cables, when it'll be re-serviced ready for him should he go to university.

Last edited:
Top Bottom