What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bianchi’s are nice bikes but I’m slightly nervous of been out and about and a campagnolo part breaking because there are not many local dealers in Teesside.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Finally, new wheels fitted after a fupar on my part meant I needed different size thru axle adapters.

3673-F0-EA-384-C-40-F0-BC84-643-EA56327-B0.jpg
33007-DD9-362-B-4-A27-B417-48-E8-CC9-A80-FF.jpg
C90-FB78-C-60-BF-495-A-8-DCC-FC1-E3-D1-F58-B9.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Son's replacement tub stuck on after he punctured on Saturday, ready for an E/1/2/3 race tonight in Sheffield.

Given ProBikeKit haven't delivered, or despatched, a spare tub - late again :cursing: - then I hope nothing happens before Saturday when he's racing in Northern Ireland. Today's Covid PCR test permitting. I again fell for their 'low price' offer, but again they failed.

keithmac

Guru
My lad was in at work today as he missed Saturday.

We did a Transalp 700 fuel pump this morning (Honda only supply the full pump hanger assy at £600+vat + fitting), we repaired it for £70 replacement pump and 2hrs labour (£120) to the bike.

This afternoon he was striping a moped down.

So proud of how he's coming on, everything you tell him goes straight into the memory bank!.

20210811_110043.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I finally noticed that the bars on my singlespeed bike have gradually been rotating forwards... That probably explains why my wrists have been getting uncomfortable on the bike recently. :whistle:

My stupid mistake... I had tightened the top screw (bolt?) on the face plate of the stem too far and not noticed that the top of the plate had made contact with the stem. I loosened that screw, rotated the bars back, and then tightened the top and bottom screws equally.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
The Shimano single speed coaster brake hub is a lovely little piece of engineering. Peddle forward and the driver unit turns, which screws the clutch up the screw thread. The serrations on the end of the clutch unit "bite" into a narrow track inside the hub body, providing forward motion. Turn the cranks backwards, results in the driver unit screwing the clutch unit in the opposite direction, which has the effect of disengaging the clutch and simultaneously pushing the two brake shoes outward and into the hub shell. All very simple and effective.

Problems arise when the small serrations on the clutch unit become worn down and the clutch struggles to get enough bite onto the hub shell, so meaning forward drive is sporadic and the cranks often slip. Luckily, they only cost 8 Euros to replace so today was replacement day. I also purchased two new brake shoes and replaced those at the same time, again, cheap as chips.

A bench vice really makes the job much more straight forward and after cleaning and re-greasing everything, it all went back together nice and quickly. A quick spin up the road made me realise I need to re-calibrate my back peddling technique, these new brake shoes can induce a pretty mean skid if you over do things! :laugh:

Gunk

Guru
I spent a very pleasant couple of hours sorting out the £50 Allez ready for sale. Managed with zero costs. I replaced the horrible mis-matched brake callipers with a set of Ultegras which I had left over from another project.

the frame was really nasty, but soap, water and fine wire wool sorted it out, everything else was spot on, indexing all good, no play in the headset or BB, so 2 hours of elbow grease and it’s now ready for a new owner, it would make a perfect turbo bike. Not sure about the white seat, blue cables and brown bar tape, the previous owner certainly had strange taste!

Last edited:
I noticed yesterday that the small wheel on the rear cassette was giving more friction than the others, so I fixed the adjuster screws. Of course with a 50% chance of getting it right I went and "fixed" the wrong one and then had to sort that out too, and then overtightened the other one so it wouldn't change up to top gear when riding even though it did while fixing it, but I sorted it out eventually.

I think...

Last edited:
Top Bottom