What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I've got this waiting for me tomorrow, customer has paid a pretty penny for a bobber conversion elsewhere and come away with this mess..

Randomly blowing fuses within 200 miles of the job, no bloody wonder!.

First off I wouldn't hang a 20 amp fuse off a 10 amp lighting supply but I think that's only the tip of the iceberg..

Been emailing the "elektronic box" manufacturer in Germany and they have been more than helpful.

Just twice as much work following someone else into a job unfortunately but customer wants it right and is prepared to wait which is nice!.

Looked a reasonably neat job to start with but it's just a complete mess, loom tape hides a multitude of sins..

View attachment 605173

View attachment 605174

I think the best description of that is a tangle of b******ds, good luck.

keithmac

Guru
I think the best description of that is a tangle of b******ds, good luck.

3 hours in, chopped most of it out and traced all the circuits back.

They had the luxury of 3 fused supplies and hung everything off a 10 amp lighting circuit!.

I don't think they understood the concept of shrinkwrap either..

20210821_121058.jpg

keithmac

Guru
Well done, how much more is there to do?

I'm hoping to have it done in another 2 hours (back in one piece, ready to ride).

Then I've got a few roadtests to do to prove it's fixed properly (don't want any comebacks).

Treated myself to a new multimeter a while back, I do that many wiring repair jobs it was a good investment.

You can link it to your mobile phone via Bluetooth and record/ graph outputs (ideal for testing ignition systems).

The job I am on now would have been quicker if I'd started it from scratch, but what can you do..

20210819_145706.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm hoping to have it done in another 2 hours (back in one piece, ready to ride).

Then I've got a few roadtests to do to prove it's fixed properly (don't want any comebacks).

Treated myself to a new multimeter a while back, I do that many wiring repair jobs it was a good investment.

You can link it to your mobile phone via Bluetooth and record/ graph outputs (ideal for testing ignition systems).

The job I am on now would have been quicker if I'd started it from scratch, but what can you do..

View attachment 605344

It sounds like it will be a good job well done.

What tyres you got on that there machine???
Travail Cannonball (light and supple version)700x38

keithmac

Guru
Got my GTO-Twin Turbo running after being stood 2 years (could be 3!).

Drained tank down and purged fuel lines, put some Aspen long life fuel in.

Manually rotated crankshaft 4 times (they have a habbit of jumping cam timing so better safe than sorry!).

Fired up after 10 seconds of cranking, runs like a dream!.

Need to strip brakes next weekend and get it MOT ready hopefully.

20210822_160359.jpg

20210822_160721.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/hrC6GTDQUuY

Put some bonnet struts on the family Kuga as well, nice day of tinkering on my own stuff for once!.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A number of little, bitty jobs:

- Son's BeOne training bike adjusted after the gear cable stretched

- Tyres onto the carbon wheelset I bought last week, need to find a Junior cassette somewhere

- A rear tyre onto my Holdsworth roi de velo track bike. I'd worn the tread off the current rear tyre completely through use at Quibell Park, Scunthorpe and I'm on the track at Manchester on Thursday, so would have been sliding all over.

- I began work on the NeilPryde Bayamo frameset I bought. It needed carbon paste on the seatpost (had none) and the old, seized grease removing from the headset ( xx( ) with the entire headset cleaned and re-greased. It gave me a chance to look inside the frame whilst the forks were out and, apart from being filthy - now clean, it's all OK. Stem on so everything's held in place and it's ready for a groupset and part swap from my Principia at some point, once the remedial paintwork is done later this week.

Photos will appear once the build starts. No-one wants to see a gunk-seized headset.

I also did a bike swap-around with the grasstrack bikes going away for the winter and the Raleigh Pioneer coming out for winter use, having a check-over.

Non-bike related I also prepped the first of two bedrooms I'm painting today, this one being son no. 1's.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I did a gunked up headset on my old MTB on Thursday lst week, overdue. IT's an old 1 1/8th Shimano cartridge bearing headset which are rare, so refurbing/cleaning was the only option.

Today, nothing more than a quick wash of the best bike as there was a fair bit of insect kill splattered on it from the incredible speeds it does :whistle:

Top Bottom