What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newts

Veteran
Today was new seat day, an hour on the turbo & we have a happy bot so far.
1641505150533.png

Attachments

• 1641505155266.png
    1641505155266.png
    361.6 KB · Views: 0

JhnBssll

Veteran
Today was new seat day, an hour on the turbo & we have a happy bot so far.
View attachment 625273

Excellent work, I'm yet to find my happy bot turbo saddle :sad::laugh: Maybe this year is the year I discover it, perhaps I should restart the search :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bearing service. I have some bearings on order from Wych bearings but thought I'd check them on the MTB. Non drive side BB bearing got a hammering in October (submerged) so i regreased it, but it's a little rough. Removed the circlip from the non-drive side cup and drifted the bearing out. Removed seals and soaked in white spirit then rinced and re-assembled. It's spinning well, so refitted.
Whilst at it, checked rear wheel bearings - one slighly rough bearing on the freehub (hubs were silky smooth despite a wet Gisburn ride before NY). Same process, drifted out, cleaned, regreased and re-fitted. Spares will be here next week, so if they get rough, the new ones will go in.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Last year's cobbled up mudguards rattled a bit too much last weekend when tried out for the first time this winter so today the Defy received a set of Flinger Race Pro mudguards. Four separate ones held by brackets that slot onto the brake bolts. Rear one was a bit problematic getting the front part and the brakes both correctly aligned and the chain did not co-operate when I removed the wheel ending up in one of those baffling tangled messes that it seems impossible to get into. As the Defy does have fixing bolt holes on the stays I did not have to use the assorted accessories to strap the rods in place. A mud flap fitted retrieved from the cobbled set and a rear reflector off a clamp rear mudguard.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

I've fitted a new pair of Kool Stop salmon brake blocks to my fixed tonight, I was going to do the job last Monday but couldn't find my spare set of brake blocks, I ordered two new sets off SjS cycles then when we had the boiler serviced on Thursday and I was clearing the corner of the kitchen by the boiler I found my spare set of brake blocks. :banghead:

newts

Veteran
Excellent work, I'm yet to find my happy bot turbo saddle :sad::laugh: Maybe this year is the year I discover it, perhaps I should restart the search :laugh:
I was using a homemade rocker plate under the trainer last year, it helped with the numbness. I kept tripping over it in the garage it's now stacked at the back out of the way. I'm hoping the seat will be enough for comfort as I try some post covid turbo sessions.

Mike_P

Guru
Another matter finally resolved was how to fit a Varia mount to the ebike, two 3D printed higher than normal position saddle mounts having broken. The solution was to fit the actual mount devoid of any supporting parts onto the in built handle part of the battery that slots into the top of the pannier rack. A couple of suitable metal stand offs employed with one end chamfered to suit the angle and curve of the handle and holes drilled for 35mm long M3 bolts in order the mount it in place with a couple of pieces of blu tak pushed onto the back of the mount around the stand offs to keep them at the right angle.

Last edited:

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Waiting for some tools for the latest project from SJS so suspected a wrench free weekend, but all the parts for the swap to VBrakes for the Holdsworth had arrived. I planned on ordering some new bar tape to make it easier, but I found myself with a spare late evening with the rest of the house in bed or occupied so I went for it and replaced them. The bar tape came off badly but went back on ok, so it will do for now.

So it now has some Tektro RL520 paired with some nice Shimano Deore brakes and some new blocks. Test ride on mixed surface to come tomorrow.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Annoying bits of bikes;

My Raleigh SP Race was cleaned and I adjusted the rear mudguard as it was catching.

Son's Columbus X-Wing cross-commuter had the front brake adjusted.

Son no. 2 set his Langdale track bike up with his Christmas present bespoke wheels from NR6

PXL_20220109_202548628.jpg

I looked at his mis-behaving Boardman AirPro, adjusted the rear brake and other bits.

Finally, fitted the 2-ride old chain from his Boardman onto the NeilPryde that sits on the smart turbo. It immediately played up so I stuck a new one on instead. I think I've bought a couple of fake KMC chains from eBay sellers as both have caused issues. Genuine retailers (eBay/elsewhere) from now on :angry:

Just my Holdsworth track bike to do some work on (bar tape, new bottom bracket, new crankset, new chain).

Last edited:

Fredo76

Über Member
That Langdale is sure 'not your father's Oldsmobile', isn't it? Would love to see the Holdsworth when you're done.

I converted my classic build to an eighteen-speed with a Red Clover Triplizer, a 42T chainring with arms for another 74 BCD chainring to make a Campagnolo or Stronglight double crankset into a triple. Here's mine with a Sekai 28T installed:

Before:

I replaced the original Sunour Cyclone rear derailleur with a Suntour V-GT Luxe to handle the wider range. After:

I called these 'stealth geezer mods'. :smile:

Son no. 2 and myself finally wrecked 3 wheels following Monday's freezing wet ride; his blow-out buckled a rear rim and my £1.16 Ritchey wheelset eBay purchase have finally worn out the rims and bearings after 5000+ miles (that's decent Yorkshire value :okay:).

So, two cassettes off and cleaned, then new GP 4 Seasons / 4000 tyres onto an almost new Superstar Components wheelset plus a spare rear. That'll do for a bit ...
Where do you find such bargain wheelsets?

I’ve done some mind fettering, I’ve ordered a new winter bike; a Carrera vanquish disc 2021 in red. https://www.halfords.com/bikes/road...ad-bike-2020---red---s-m-l-frames-348526.html

It’s specced with;
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi.../topeak-mono-bottle-cage-cx---red-442916.html 2x red bottle cages,

Boardman handlebar bag
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...advanced-waterproof-handlebar-bag-184718.html

SKS bluemels from stock (single stays too)
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.SKS-Blueme...-s221-4SURQ0sXf7mJ-Hi7vWwqnt66gQaAswaEALw_wcB

A Lezyne Femto rear light
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/16182606/lezyne-femto-usb-drive-rear-bike-light-16182606

And from stock I have a cateye volt 400 front light and look keo pedals to go onto it plus a saddle bag already filled.

Just need to find a Garmin mount to complete it.

On order from the LBS I also have some Vittoria Terreno tyres in 709x33c which I hope will fit! @cyberknight, too tight?

https://www.nrgcycles.co.uk/wheels/tyres/vittoria-terreno-mix-gravel-tyre-700c-black__80891

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Where do you find such bargain wheelsets?

They were eBay, collection only with just a photo. The seller had listed a pile of items and I bid on most of them, getting about 9 wheels, cassettes and tyres for around £40 in total. However, they lived in the back of beyond and there were no descriptions.

The Ritchey set was probably the best, and cheapest, of the whole lot.

Top Bottom