What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
2022_05_19_Forms.jpg

Worked with one of my refugee clients on getting him used to the new checklist; he can fix bikes but can't read German as yet so we worked on it together. He's also unused to the idea that I as his "boss" trust him to check, and if necessary, correct my repairs, but he's getting used to it.

The boss turned up with two bikes from his kids and asked if I could sort out the gears. I did my best but they'll really need re-cabling (the bikes, not the kids.) I also had some trouble with the rear V-Brake on one which wouldn't give the strong on/off response I can normally get out of them. Once agian a lot of the groundwork was done by one of my refugee clients who straightened the hanger and did a lot of the setup before going home. I left a message for the boss saying the bikes are generally okay now but they'll need a proper recalibrating before long.

DRM

Guru
Liked the last check Test Fahrt, usually gets me in trouble at home that one! :shy:

And yes I know it really means test ride ;)

si_c

Guru
Replaced the rear mudguard on the Trek, this took me about 2 hours over 2 days, including salvaging the brake bridge clip from the old set and straightening and refitting it.

Tolerances for a 25mm tyre are incredibly tight (<2mm either side) under the brakes, which is frustrating and took a while to get right, not helped by the fact I did on my lunchbreaks so was doing other stuff at the time. Looks ok now, no rubbing.

buzz22

Über Member
Finally got started on my 1982 Europa.
The Dia Compe gum hoods I ordered arrived so they went on to replace the disintegrated originals.
Before:

20220428_110533.jpg

After:
20220520_220206.jpg

The chromed front forks are getting a polish, you can see the difference a clean up makes with one side done and the other side to go:
20220520_222446.jpg

Plenty of work to go....

Plenty of work to go....

Looking at those pics, it'll be worth it...

buzz22

Über Member
Thanks for the tips all, apart from some Campag components on a bike years ago this is my first real experience with an Italian groupset. Love it so far

Set up and checked a couple of ladies trekking/city bikes (straight bar, drop frame, 28" wheels, lights, mudguards and luggage rack) which are fairly popular here.
Then The Boss asked us to check over the gears on his kid's bikes, which were usual state of kid's bikes; we got them going again but they'll need re-cabling for the gears to work properly; he'll bring them back in Autumn...
Also found a rather nice trekking bike frame in the Great Clearout which may be rather better than the one I dug up off the scrap pile...

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I messed up with my SJS order and I didn't pay for fast shipping so rather than having to run two rings on tomorrows training ride, I found that Decathlon sell a microshift fd which claimed to be suitable.

Ordered and clicked and collected for £7.99, fitting and setup was so quick and simple. I think it could probably do with dropping down by 5mm but I'm not going to mess today.

Also fitted the new bar tape and re torqued everything. Forks got a respray which went very wrong so that will have to be redone. 🤦‍♂️

IMG-20220521-WA0005.jpg

Top Bottom