What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I ordered one last night! As you say I do enjoy riding this bike so it deserves it.

Spa recommend 110mm BB I currently have a 115 on there so I will probably wait for it to arrive and see how the chain line is.

Well the bike behaved flawlessly on my bike packing trip, not one single skip of the chain. I didn't use the middle ring at all, so I think I feel comfortable that is the issue. Had to put some decent power down on some slow steep ramps fully laden.

Bike now back to standard adventure spec.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Yesterdays fettling was a simple inflate tyres , swap out the suspension seat post and Brook's saddle for a standard post and a selle smp saddle and re align fr brake pads on the Cannondale T6000 touring i picked up yesterday afternoon ready for this mornings ride .

Well after 43 miles this morning i felt the bike was a bit cramped so once home swapped stem out for a longer and flatter one and moved saddle back on rails slightly all in all i found 5.5 cm and a quick road test tonight it feels a lot better so will see how it feels tomorrow am weather permitting

buzz22

Über Member
20220515_145326.jpg

The front derailleur on my 1994 Giant CFR Pro Series was a Shimano RX100, this worked with combined brake/shifters but when I converted to down tube shifters the spring tension was too strong and the arm from pivot point to cable attachment too short.
Because of this the lever could not hold the derailleur in place on the big ring and would slowly creep across.
My fix for this was a Shimano 600 Ultegra (Tricolor) derailleur, a 6401 model.
This model has adjustable spring tension as it's designed to be used with both types of shifters. It also has a longer arm so there is much better fine control as the lever moves further to make the derailleur travel.
20220515_145527.jpg

This photo shows the original derailleur in my hand and new one on the bike.
You can see the difference in length between the pivot points and cable attachment points.

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Had taken the integrated front light off my Orbea Gain D50 a few weeks back as it was rattling. Went to charge the bike yesterday and had the dreaded purple flashing light.

Thankfully the phone app is great and shows you what the error is so popped the light back on with some new screws (no more rattling) and thankfully error cleared and bike is now charging again.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
So I picked up a very crusty Gary Fisher Sugar 2 from a localish scrap man today. Always a gamble with scrappers and they obviously want the best price they can get.

Started the strip down already. Not sure if this will get built back up or I'll just nab the parts for other projects.

Usable bits so far

Deore XT rear derailleur needs a new spring and pulleys but it will be at minimum as spare for my lads bike.

Deore LX front derailleur in good nick.

Charge Spoon saddle in crusty but usable condition, good for the spares box when cleaned up.

Botranger triple crankset, scruffy but usable. Needs new chain rings but certainly good for the spares box.

Shimano flat / SPD pedals that need cleaning and servicing.

Decent front wheel that needs a good clean and service. Can't confirm the hub as it's very dirty.

3x9 Deore LX brifters in a nice blue, just need a clean.

Avid v brakes in decent nick.

The unknowns are.

Cane Creek AD10 rear shock - seems to work.

Rockshock Sid hydraair seems seized.

The frame BB and Seat post currently still to be removed, if they come out ok and I can service the linkages then i will look to recommission this, but if they cause any issues then the frame can be scrapped and the above to the Spares box or passed on.

IMG_20220516_220429.jpg

buzz22

Über Member
I converted this:
20220517_133243.jpg

To this:
20220517_214942.jpg

I've posted a write up and photos in the build and modifications thread.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Had a bit more fettle with the Gary Fisher which I have now decided is going to get scrapped. The frame has too many suspect buts going on with it and I would not be happy riding it myself.

Had a good day in the bike workshop. Was given a Raleigh Wisp frame and front wheel to build using any spare parts around the workshop. Ended up as a 3 X 7 flat bar with Weinmann side-pull brakes, Shimano Deore trigger shifters, GS200 mechs, LX chainset and newish silver mudguards. Very nice test ride.
I love it when I get a free hand to build a bike. ^_^

Top Bottom