What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
New spoke in the commuter as one I had in spares fitted, whilst I had the cassette off I always gave the hubs a squirt of grease.Then retrued the wheel.

Cut through two bike locks to make this bike more presentable for a shop display:

2022_05_18_bike.jpg

Just to make it clear; the bike was a donation; I didn't just go outside and nick it off the street...

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, I *finished* fettling it today. Possibly...
steel bike.jpg

531ST frame handbuilt by Paul Donohue in the late 80s, powdercoated in Celeste pearl by Maldon.
Suntour 9 speed downtube levers, running an Altus rear mech and an unidentified front from the Spares Heap.
RX100 nut mount front brake, about 20 years old, and a Tektro allenkey mount front brake nutmounted at the back.
A frankly God-awful 48/38/28 plastic coated steel chainset. I'll replace it at some point.
11-36T cassette. Because I obviously need a gear range of 21" to 120" around Hertfordshire.
Although it's nice to have three different 36" gears to play with...
Wheels, 28mm tyres, seatpin etc from the spares heap. I can only assume the frame was poorly reamed when made, or something's gone a bit wrong, as a 27.2mm seatpost won't go in and a 27.0 is a bit loose. I got some shim material from the offy and that seems to be holding up well :cheers:

si_c

Guru
View attachment 645237
531ST frame handbuilt by Paul Donohue in the late 80s, powdercoated in Celeste pearl by Maldon.
Suntour 9 speed downtube levers, running an Altus rear mech and an unidentified front from the Spares Heap.
RX100 nut mount front brake, about 20 years old, and a Tektro allenkey mount front brake nutmounted at the back.
A frankly God-awful 48/38/28 plastic coated steel chainset. I'll replace it at some point.
11-36T cassette. Because I obviously need a gear range of 21" to 120" around Hertfordshire.
Wheels, 28mm tyres, seatpin etc from the spares heap. I can only assume the frame was poorly reamed when made, or something's gone a bit wrong, as a 27.2mm seatpost won't go in and a 27.0 is a bit loose. I got some shim material from the offy and that seems to be holding up well :cheers:

Probably the seatpost clamp is slightly mis-shapen, this can happen if an undersized seatpost is used or the binder is over tightened. Check with a 27. seatpost and see where it's out of shape, if it's at the binder, you should be able to separate it a little and get the 27.2 post in comfortably.

The alternative would be to use a high grit sandpaper and slightly sand down the outside of the 27.2 seatpost until it slides in.

If a 27.0 is loose, then anything smaller will be worse...

Sorry should have added 26.x and shims, I’ve a btwin bike in the shed that came this way new, confused the hell out of me at first.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
View attachment 645237

Did the contents of the shim material go down well?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
View attachment 645237

Nice looking frame. The stem and bar set up let it down a bit, but I assume that works for you for comfort, and a bike isnt just for looking at after all.:okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Popped a spare 'Rock Bros' bell on my Full suspension MTB whilst doing general check over for a ride this weekend - the bike hasn't moved since the last big off road ride in December (it was cleaned and lubed). Just checked everything was lubed and running fine.

Bell replacement was because I stacked it in December going down a muddy 'Hully Gully' at Gisburn, and ripped the previous bell off snapping the steel 'strap'. :wacko:

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
We're going grasstrack racing on Monday in Leeds so, given our level of preparation for it is nil, I pulled out the grasstrack bikes today:

- Son no. 2's Kona Paddy Wagon (green wheels, he's Irish :okay: ) just needed lubricating.
- My Fuji Track needed a new rear tube and lubricating.

Some practice before Monday's racing may be sensible ...

Just watched a video and that looks fun. How many people tend to race at an event like that?

Top Bottom