What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
Pulled a cheap pair of pedals apart yesterday for the bearings to try to fix the XT rattrap ones. Bearings are a size smaller so used more. The other set of cheap pedals are dying, 3 weeks and they are starting to wobble. Tuesday will be a find a bike shop day for a set of flats and new chains.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
investigated why the cam on the 4700 rim brakes did not open to allow the wheel out, the cam is warped so is toast :sad: look slike you cant replace it either as the mechanism is not fixable ?
1654436057366.png

si_c

Guru
NBR again, but finished the interior build as much as I'm able this weekend, most of the work is done with the exception of some plasterboard repairs and removing some wallpaper.

It's taken me about 18 hours to board out the house, in part due to inexperience and part due to needing to move 8'x4' (2.4m x 1.2m) boards up a narrow staircase where the door opens onto the stairs and then around a very tight 90° turn at the top. None of the battens were straight, with some of them warped in all dimensions so I wasn't able to get perfectly smooth install, but it should look good once the plasterer has been over them.

Once he's been then new skirting boards are the next job and it should be ready for painting.

Abject fail this morning: I planned to touch up some of the scratches on my tourer; it's a rattlecan spray which means I can repair damage.

Masked up the bike, then got out the spray paint. I brought the can with me last time I visited the family, but now the colour doesn't look right. Being somewhat cautious I decide to spray a piece of paper before the bike.

As suspected, far too bright.

Time to go and find the original colour...

At least I didn't spray the bike.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Finally got round to putting a new chain on the Spa having broken the other one last week and then went out for a quick test ride/shopping trip. Then replaced the cassette on returning home as the new chain refused to play nicely with the two most used cogs on the cassette, skipping very badly.

I'd checked to see what the wear was like before replacing the chain and it didn't look anywhere near as bad as others I've worn out before having done less than 2000 miles against the 4500 I'd normally get from a chain/cassette combination, but the new chain/ old cassette combination just didn't work in the worn gears. Having removed it and cleaned the cassette up a bit I can see a bit of wear, but it's still annoying having to junk a cassette at less than half the expected mileage.

figbat

Slippery scientist
This was yesterday but is my most recent fettle. I put a gash in the sidewall of a brand new Continental Cross King last week - I managed to plug it well enough to get home but rather than try to repair the gash I opted for a(nother) new tyre. It was delivered yesterday afternoon and as I had it in my hand I thought I might as well take it straight to the garage rather than leave it lying around. Once in the garage I thought, well since I'm here and have the tyre in my hand, I may as well fit it. And despite all the woes of setting up tubeless, this popped on first try with no lubricant. I added some sealant fluid through the valve (sans core) and 15 minutes after delivery it was fitted and ready to go.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The Peugeot I picked up a few weeks ago has turned into a pain to sort out; the seatpost was stuck (sorted), bars stuck (sorted), the saddle was stuck pointing up, pedals seized (left undone and re-greased, right still seized), crank thread stripped :cursing:

Today an 8mm new bolt for the saddle arrived, so after a bit of work it now has the saddle pointing properly. From:

pxl_20220519_093229592-jpg.jpg

To:

DSC00521.JPG

Still to get the right crank and pedal off ... but I'll put some new tyres on shortly.

Gillstay

Über Member
The Peugeot I picked up a few weeks ago has turned into a pain to sort out; the seatpost was stuck (sorted), bars stuck (sorted), the saddle was stuck pointing up, pedals seized (left undone and re-greased, right still seized), crank thread stripped :cursing:

Today an 8mm new bolt for the saddle arrived, so after a bit of work it now has the saddle pointing properly. From:

View attachment 648421
To:

View attachment 648420

Still to get the right crank and pedal off ... but I'll put some new tyres on shortly.

I also hate that you put all that effort in and it looks just the same at the end of it. :wacko:

Top Bottom