What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What a daft mistake! :whistle:

Okay, okay - yes - I have done that too! :laugh:

I did that last month. SRAM have a funny little one in the middle of the Jockey wheels and I'd not spotted it. Rode 4 miles on it before deciding it wasn't just a gear misalignment.

Okay, okay - yes - I have done that too! :laugh:

And I have.

I did that last month. SRAM have a funny little one in the middle of the Jockey wheels and I'd not spotted it. Rode 4 miles on it before deciding it wasn't just a gear misalignment.

I've done it too, and made sure she knew it. She was great: quite open that she had no experience or expertise but she couldn't afford to get a shop to do it, so she decided to have a go.

I hope I encouraged her to keep trying stuff out.

@cougie uk : I had to go a few laps of the car park before I was sure it wasn't a gear alignment problem.

CXRAndy

Guru
Not bike related, but just finished removing all the external stud walls on my new to me house (this is my first house, one I never thought I'd be able to afford), it was built in the 1950s and doesn't have any insulation in the first floor timber frame. Tomorrow's job is to put PIR insulation boards into the framing and then start plasterboarding walls back up in time for the plasterer to come and skim next week. The photo is of my office space.

This is the first job in a long list of jobs as the house is a bank repossession and is in terrible condition internally and externally, the render on the lower half of the building has flaked off and causes some damp issues, there are holes in all the walls internally where someone has kicked them in and the roof needs work, particularly around the dormer windows where the flashing is in terrible condition. Oh and large parts of the brickwork need repointing. After that I'll start on the garden (front and rear are approaching rainforest), the concrete driveway is cracked and uneven and the external garage needs a lot of work before I can proceed to do what I want which is to turn it into a workshop.

If the rooms aren't too small, place foilback insulation board(Celotex) between studs, leaving 25mm air gap to wall. Ensure tight fit by using insulation padding tape between all edges. Then apply another top layer in front of studs of 25-75mn insulation board in large sheets. Seal all gaps. Use expanding foam for all tiny gaps. Being super diligent in insulation, reducing airflow will ensure low energy bills

Continued swearing at repairing the bike lighting system. I eventually went and got an altimeter from the electrical team, which showed up a dozen faults. I also discovered that replacing an incandescent bulb with halogen doesn't work well because the greater power draw meant the rear light just glowed anaemically, so I thought it was broken. It took a couple of hours to get it all working, then another half hour to get the gears lined up, made easier because I bent the hanger back into shape yesterday. All this for a dirt cheap bike which we'll sell for 65€.

Mind you, at least fifteen minutes of that half hour was spent looking for a screw that I dropped, which bounced on my boot and shot off into the depths of the workshop...

After this I checked a kid's bike which worked fairly well once I took some of the tension out of the rear mech.

And in a nice postscript to yesterday, the lady who replaced her gear system came back; she's fixed it and replaced the brake blocks.

Oh, and I sold the folding bike, I could have sold it three times over; 125€ is after all fairly cheap for a folder...

Pre-ride fettle on the Scott. As usual the front mech will not play ball. Will see how the ride is.

si_c

Guru
If the rooms aren't too small, place foilback insulation board(Celotex) between studs, leaving 25mm air gap to wall. Ensure tight fit by using insulation padding tape between all edges. Then apply another top layer in front of studs of 25-75mn insulation board in large sheets. Seal all gaps. Use expanding foam for all tiny gaps. Being super diligent in insulation, reducing airflow will ensure low energy bills

Today's fettle was to fit Celotex boards between the studs, not always able to leave a 25mm air gap to the wall as the studs come right down, but was able to leave a small one and the whole upper floor is vented below. Tomorrow's job is to fill the gaps with foam and to put foil tape over the joins to ensure the barrier layer is complete. Saturday will be plasterboarding over the top ready for the plasterer to do the skim on Monday.

Attachments

• PXL_20220602_195217932.jpg
    PXL_20220602_195217932.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20220602_201200116.jpg
    PXL_20220602_201200116.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 4

CXRAndy

Guru
Today's fettle was to fit Celotex boards between the studs, not always able to leave a 25mm air gap to the wall as the studs come right down, but was able to leave a small one and the whole upper floor is vented below. Tomorrow's job is to fill the gaps with foam and to put foil tape over the joins to ensure the barrier layer is complete. Saturday will be plasterboarding over the top ready for the plasterer to do the skim on Monday.

The overlapping front insulation is to stop cold bridging from the studs to plasterboard. I know its wood but it still conducts heat or cold . I used a thermal imaging camera to detect any cold spots on my new build before fitting plasterboard. I also did the sliver of tissue around all door and window reveals in windy weather. This exposed a few tiny drafts where the builder had not fitted the cavity insulation thoroughly. Some minor remedial retrofit action sorted it. The next best job was fitting MHVR which balanced all rooms to within 1 deg C, even on the colder north side of the property. MHVR eliminates moisture/condensation issues when you properly seal up a building. Clean, dust free and humidity reduced warmed air

Top Bottom