What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Changed a clutch cable on my motorcycle, I was determined not to remove the fuel tank and in the end managed to get it all fitted. Pig of a job though.

8mph

Veteran
Finished building up a Trek 7300 fx, complete with dynamo light and USB.

I've fitted a new drive chain, including a 42/34/22 crankset, which is too small according to my cycling buddy, I think holding back on the junk miles will pay off by day 4 of a tour.

IMG_20220620_141524.jpg

IMG_20220620_134055.jpg

Last edited:

Zigzak789

Had a go a truing some wheels for the first time as they had a slight wobble, watched a few YouTube videos and managed to straighten them out quite well, another bit of maintenance I'd always tried to avoid which isn't as difficult as first seems (they're by no means perfect but better than before and no more brake rub!)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A reminder to always wear a helmet when fettling.

Last night I took the pedals off my bike. One was pretty tight and when the thread let go my head jerked forward and hit something, not sure what, resulting in a gash in my scalp just above the hairline.

A reminder of how dangerous cycling can be. ;)

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Fitted some Clarks V brakes to sprogs bike.
It's a proper kids Smyths special but not a bad bike to be fair and she loves it, single speed so not much to go wrong.
Now she's riding with me on roads though I want her to be able to stop properly and the bso brakes on it were like cheese.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Commuter has a broken spoke.

So... last night after ride swapped wheel off nice bike to commuter so I can take the wheel to LBS.

Then removed the wheel as the tyre's a 28 and didn't fit under the commuter mudguard.

Then removed cassette from commuter and fitted to a spare wheel I have.

Then swapped tyre and inner tube to the spare wheel. That wheel has a slightly deeper rim. Is the valve long enough? Yes, methinks.

Pump up tyre. But the pump had can't quite get on enough, only get 20psi in. Remove inner tube.

Search all spare inner tubes on various bikes for a longer valve. Resign myself to removing the inner tube from nice bike tyre, then finally locate one.

Fit new inner tube, to spare, fit to bike, bingo.

If I wasn't such a div I'd have done the right thing first time in 5 minutes.

I think I need to learn how to fit spokes and true wheels.

It was actually yesterday now that I started, but my internally routed gear cable on the TT bike snapped Thursday night. The last time it happened it was just a 20 min job slipping a new wire into the internal outers. This time however, the inner cable had jammed and to un jam it, I ended up having to remove the outers too, which makes it a right pain. After removing the fork/ bars to get more holes for fingers, light etc and using old cable inners and outers as a sacrificial guide I eventually got it done. Maybe I should squeeze in a test ride to check it's all back together right before I actually race on it.

Top Bottom