What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Failed fettle. Replaced, or tried to replace the tubeless Schwalbe pro one on the back wheel with a more robust Schwalbe one. Did all the same tricks as before ( stretched with a tube, blast from Joe blow air shot, soap, valve core out….) but the stiffer Schwalbe one would not seat. Will run it with a tube and maybe try again In a few weeks.

8mph

Veteran
An hour sewing up the Karrimor panniers and lots of prepping to get the bike tour ready.

IMG_20220625_153047_BURST004.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
Annoying creak on the eBike so with a new 36mm spanner I set about dismantling the chain ring but could not shift the huge nut holding it to the motor. Eventually discovered the nut is reverse threaded
Three of the nuts for the chain ring bolts were locked solid in the spider and needed a gentle whack with a hammer to shift them so I suspecting/hoping they might have been the source of the creak. Everything fully cleared and greased on the refit.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Not really a fettle more of a fettle needed.

Started my Sunday ride this morning with gusto, planning 65km in North Cheshire. About 13km in I heard a ping and stopped to see I had broken a spoke. I had hit some pretty poor road surfaces so think that must have been the cause.

Wheel was pulled out of true enough to make onward journey not possible. I could had muddled home, but not wanting to damage my wheel ahead of the Manchester to Blackpool I was picked up by my wife.

I'll get this booked in for a replacement and true at the LBS. But also noticed the tyres have got some crack in them, these are less than 6 months old ones from Halfords 😥

IMG_20220626_072749.jpg

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Now wondering if I should just buy a new wheel like this. 36 spokes should make for a much stronger wheel, the one I was using today is only 28.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wheelsw...black-single-walled-with-black-quick-release/

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Spare wheel fitted on the bike and a quick whizz around the block to test. Will be able to get my ride in one evening this week, this was due to be the last one before my Manchester to Blackpool ride. So a few days later is no issue, I'll still be commuting too.

Also fitted some stabilisers on my 4 year olds bike. He really wants to ride and is far too nervous to use a two wheeled bike, much like his older brother was. We have tried with a balance bike but he will only ride his trike which is heavily and small.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I bought a 11sp chain for the commuter a few weeks ago but something in the drive train of the gravel bike today was clicking if I didn't pedal uniformly. I cant see anything obviously wrong with the bb/chain rings/ cassette so I used the spare chain on it. Hopefully that solves it, if not I'll have to start changing the others, starting with the cassette. I really should take it for a test run but I am stuck on the couch now 🙄

Edit: that's the first time I have never had to shorten a new chain before using it (using the old one as a guide).

Gunk

Guru
I cleaned the drivers seat on Mrs Gunks Golf GTD, after 7 years and over 100,000 miles it was looking a bit grubby, two cleans with Vanish and a damp sponge really worked, it virtually looks the same as the passenger seat now. Next job is to get the worn bolster reupholstered, After a very long search I’ve tracked down the correct fabric from a UK supplier.

D56177B1-5AFF-40B1-A1D2-B11A953683FD.jpeg

B8663F02-FD38-4E84-9124-83E02E497408.jpeg

EF5A0430-6974-493C-AFD0-93A1B2E7418F.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom