What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
A Rockhopper. Is that model still going? I remember buying one of those, it was one of the first mountain bikes in the U.K. in about 1985.

It is indeed. Think mine is a 2014 model, it never hops rocks nowadays though so has become my 'do it all' bike.
Not sure what the current line up looks but think they are still on the go.

20220613_134349.jpg

First attempt to set a mechanical disk brake. Thank goodness for GCN's instructional videos.

I think it worked, although it's a rather elderly version and was pretty cheap to start with...

Poo. Went to change inner tube on bike's front wheel from Car to Dutch, to match back wheel. Inner tube cupboard a mess. Threw away all "slime" tubes and unknown or freaks, then sorted remainder into size/valves.

There aren't any 26" Dutch valves, but there are plenty of car valves, so not I'll take the back wheel off and change that to a car valve then put the tube I'd removed from the front back in...

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hardest puncture I ever had to fix was on a rod actuated drum brake gazelle, proper faff.

So I hopefully have a wheel incoming for the Mailstar, so I thought I would try rebuilding the original wheel as a test / learning process.

Pretty happy with the result, I made some mistakes but I think it will ride fine.

View attachment 650958

Good job, it looks pretty strong as its supporting the trampoline's weight....:laugh:

Not sure if tonight counts as a fettling effort. After my training sprints the other day the chain started making a bit of a ting. It was only November that everything was replaced including the BB and I'd replaced the chain after winter. Every shifts fine, there's no slip and it doesn't feel like there's any resistance just an annoying ting, ting under strain. I ordered a new chain anyway.

I just went to fit the new chain but before I did I got the notion to check the old one with the Park chain checker. It wasn't even 0.75% worn. I tried practically every link and it was the same story so the new chain and the cassette that in the post will be spares :blush:

Tomorrow night I'll give the chain a bit of a clean and lube :rolleyes:

Mandobob

Fitted a Cyclo Benelux Super 60 rear derailleur to my Falcon Club Special. Installed cable and cut chain to length and installed. Adjusted derailleur limit screws to suit. Large glass of red wine followed at 6pm.

Well, everything, really!

Scott: swap rear tyre for a 25 as the 28 was starting to touch the seat tube with the slightest amount of mud.

Trek: fit new rear gear cable to try and fix the weird shifting issues. Absolutely no joy whatever. Eventually removed the RD, an Alivio RD-M4000, and swapped it for the 22-year-old Altus that originally came off my Trek 800 Sport. Few tweaks, perfect. That's a 7-speed RD running 9-speed with no issues.:crazy:
Other bits and bobs taken off, ready to sell.

Then Scott again, fit and tweak the Alivio from the Trek. Seems fine, if not swap back to the original Sora with Wolf Tooth.

Marin: Basically a going over to make sure it works, and to remove extraneous parts. Dork disc removed itself, UV-rotten. Removed cages and toe straps from pedals. Remove extraneous front reflector. Tweaked front cones.Tweaked read canti. Damn, I'd forgotten what a pain they can be. Flooded both shifters with GT85 as neither was ratcheting correctly. Instant fix. Pumped tyres up fully, no big bangs!
A very tiring day, puctuated by totally unforecast showers. Grrrr...

@Andy in Germany, it was a nice little build. Took a pallet apart and cut the slats down to size with a circular saw and then screwed everything together. The kitchen sink was reclaimed from my in-laws as they’ve just got a new kitchen. Not bad for a £0.00 build!

Top Bottom