What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Spare wheel fitted on the bike and a quick whizz around the block to test. Will be able to get my ride in one evening this week, this was due to be the last one before my Manchester to Blackpool ride. So a few days later is no issue, I'll still be commuting too.

Also fitted some stabilisers on my 4 year olds bike. He really wants to ride and is far too nervous to use a two wheeled bike, much like his older brother was. We have tried with a balance bike but he will only ride his trike which is heavily and small.

Take the stabilisers off, take the pedals off, lower the seat enough so he can use it like a balance bike.

In a while put the pedal back on and he will just ride it.

All stabilisers do is teach a child to not balance a bike.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Take the stabilisers off, take the pedals off, lower the seat enough so he can use it like a balance bike.

In a while put the pedal back on and he will just ride it.

All stabilisers do is teach a child to not balance a bike.

I know this is the recommended way and the way we have been trying for the last 2 years. But like his older brother we didnt have any joy. What we did with his brother was let him spend a year on stablisers and then went back and did the pedal off trick. Within 15 mins he was riding with pedals.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Bar ends fitted to the mtb ready for next week's C2C (rail strikes permitting). Bike is comfortable on longer rides but wrists were in bits the other week, hopefully these will help a bit, especially on the climbs.

20220627_202512.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
One of the local lads brought me this. He'd fallen off and those footpeg things had taken the force and did this to the axle. I think the wheel might have been loose in the dropout.

IMG_20220617_155239.jpg

IMG_20220617_155236.jpg

It's a 24" wheel with like 46 spokes so no chance of finding a replacement hub. My local bike repairer friend had a steel rim wheel for £6 so that was pressed into service.
He's decided not to replace the foot pegs :smile:.

Spent far longer than should be necessary wrestling with a very basic Shimano "SIS" front mech to force it to change somewhat accurately. On the same bike I replaced the brake blocks and had another battle with the cheap no name brakes. I have this old fashioned idea that on V-Brakes both sides should move, a concept that apparently hasn't reached the manufacturer.
This afternoon will hopefully be the grand storeroom clear out stage 1; I'll try to take a "before" and "after" pic.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Front wheel on the Kona was out of true, probably a result of some over enthusiastic off-roading the other week! So I sat in the sun and trued it back up on my home made truing stand.

Also fitted some new pedals to my son's bike and whilst the copper grease was out, whipped the pedals off the Kona as well and cleaned the threads, before re-greasing and reassembling.

IMG_20220629_120250409_HDR.jpg

Front wheel on the Kona was out of true, probably a result of some over enthusiastic off-roading the other week! So I sat in the sun and trued it back up on my home made truing stand.

Also fitted some new pedals to my son's bike and whilst the copper grease was out, whipped the pedals off the Kona as well and cleaned the threads, before re-greasing and reassembling.

View attachment 650856

Classy truing stand there.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Thanks @Andy in Germany . It's made from offcuts of wood I had lying around using the plans in Roger Musson's Wheel building book. Its fully adjustable for a range of wheel sizes as well, it's not quite precise enough for professional use, being as I used quite soft pine, but for me its fine.

Far too long swearing and cursing fixing a puncture on a Gazelle :rolleyes:

If it helps, I decided the tyres on an oldish used MTB were a bit worn, so I dropped the back wheel, removed tyre, and tried to put a replacement on only to realise I was trying to fit a 26" tyre on a 29" wheel.

In my defence the bike looked like a 90's model (21 gears, old style rapidfire shifters, and V-Brakes) but even so...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Bar ends fitted to the mtb ready for next week's C2C (rail strikes permitting). Bike is comfortable on longer rides but wrists were in bits the other week, hopefully these will help a bit, especially on the climbs.
A Rockhopper. Is that model still going? I remember buying one of those, it was one of the first mountain bikes in the U.K. in about 1985.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Far too long swearing and cursing fixing a puncture on a Gazelle :rolleyes:

Hardest puncture I ever had to fix was on a rod actuated drum brake gazelle, proper faff.

So I hopefully have a wheel incoming for the Mailstar, so I thought I would try rebuilding the original wheel as a test / learning process.

Pretty happy with the result, I made some mistakes but I think it will ride fine.

IMG_20220630_091259.jpg

Top Bottom