What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
With my main Bikepacking adventures over for this year, it was time to swap the chain ring over on my chainset. For touring I run a 28t chainring mated to a 10 - 42 cassette, this basically gives me a good climbing gear but sacrifices top end speed. For the winter I swap back to a 32t chainring which gives me back some speed in exchange for less climbing ability that I don't need where I live.

These Race Face cranks are simplicity themselves to change the rings on, an 8mm hex key loosens the bolt holding the crank on to the BB, then on the back of the crank is a thin lock ring which is undone using a Square taper BB lockring extraction tool. Swap the rings over and redo everything back up.

IMG_20221113_172733986_HDR.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru
Shed roof insulation panels coming along nicely

20221114_171241.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The sealed bearing in the freeehub of the bike I use on my turbo trainer had gone rough so I replaced that today.

Ideally I would sort the actual wheel out too - it is out of true, and noticeably non-circular. There is a little thump on the turbo roller once per revolution of the wheel. The thing is, wheel-truing is one job that I never mastered; I would probably make the wheel worse rather than better!

I think that I can reduce the thumping by lowering the tyre pressure and bringing the roller slightly nearer. It is a compromise between thumping and the tyre starting to slip on the roller.

I probably won't notice the thump when listening to music on my earbuds while using the turbo. I now have access to 100,000,000 songs on Amazon Prime Music so I might as well start checking out some of them! :okay:

CXRAndy

Guru
Looks interesting, what's the project?

It's an outbuilding which had an fibre/asbestos roof, with an open ridge. It has slatted sides too.

We want to have storage which is warm (heated) and usable space for gym and some electrical upgrades to the main house/solar battery storage system.

We are going fully insulated panels all round, new insulated doors too. When all the major stuff is done I might fit a gym type sponge floor

Last edited:
2022_11_14_Raliegh.jpg

A Raleigh Max "donated" to the workshop and now we know why. Rear wheel had clearly taken an impact and even though the block was in good condition, too many spokes were broken to get any leverage to unscrew it. The luggage rack was also bent out of shape and the rear mech had been smashed.

After replacing the mech I attempted to sort out the wheel but it was toast so I found a replacement and put an new block on it. When I tried to put the wheel back on I couldn't get it to go straight.

Eventually I worked out this was because the impact that had damaged the components had also bent the rear frame and it's Geführkelt. Goodness knows what hit it to cause this but I suspect a motor vehicle impact. I hope the rider was okay.

My Intern is stripping it of the other parts which are generally in good condition.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I signed up for Chase the Sun this morning after missing out last year so decided to pick up the varia charging cable idea I'd started fiddling with. Finished the CAD model...

image(3).jpg

While it was printing I found my box of electronics odds and sods and found a male micro USB so soldered it to some speaker wire...

20221114_190901.jpg

With the part printed I pushed the USB connector through from the back then filled the hole up behind it with liquid resin, quickly cured with my handy UV torch :okay:

20221114_194059.jpg

20221114_194045.jpg

It's printed in a flexible resin so should be fairly weatherproof :okay: Seems to fit pretty well

20221114_194258.jpg

I'll play around with it at some point, if it works ok I'll be tempted to print it again in black but this will do for now :okay:

D

Deleted member 1258

View attachment 668071

A Raleigh Max "donated" to the workshop and now we know why. Rear wheel had clearly taken an impact and even though the block was in good condition, too many spokes were broken to get any leverage to unscrew it. The luggage rack was also bent out of shape and the rear mech had been smashed.

After replacing the mech I attempted to sort out the wheel but it was toast so I found a replacement and put an new block on it. When I tried to put the wheel back on I couldn't get it to go straight.

Eventually I worked out this was because the impact that had damaged the components had also bent the rear frame and it's Geführkelt. Goodness knows what hit it to cause this but I suspect a motor vehicle impact. I hope the rider was okay.

My Intern is stripping it of the other parts which are generally in good condition.

Early 1980's I was rear ended by a Ford Cortina traveling at about 40mph, the impact pringled the rear wheel, folded the rear of the frame at the brake bridge and pulled the chainstays upward, it also put the rest of the frame out of alignment. I got away with a bruised back.

si_c

Guru
I signed up for Chase the Sun this morning after missing out last year so decided to pick up the varia charging cable idea I'd started fiddling with. Finished the CAD model...

View attachment 668075

While it was printing I found my box of electronics odds and sods and found a male micro USB so soldered it to some speaker wire...

View attachment 668077

With the part printed I pushed the USB connector through from the back then filled the hole up behind it with liquid resin, quickly cured with my handy UV torch :okay:

View attachment 668080

View attachment 668079

It's printed in a flexible resin so should be fairly weatherproof :okay: Seems to fit pretty well

View attachment 668076

I'll play around with it at some point, if it works ok I'll be tempted to print it again in black but this will do for now :okay:

Very nice.

I was trying to think of ways to solve the same problem, however in my case the plug would be better being right angled as the distance between the frame and the bottom of the light is much smaller as I also have to accommodate the Supernova Dynamo light on the seat tube and I don't have a huge amount of seat tube showing (one disadvantage of a 63cm Frame).

In the end I think I'd most likely use a right angle micro usb cable and a bit of blutack and electrical tape. A bit more of a bodge, but given that the light can last 16 hours in day flash mode and I won't frequently need to use a charger on the go, one I'm comfortable with.

Svendo

Guru
If we're going to be pedantic, do it properly. :smile:

TLA is neither an acronym nor an abbreviation (the latter means a shortened word, like "Ave" or "St").

Instead, it's an initialization.

Pendantry: I suspected and a quick google (define: abbreviation) showed abbreviation is used to mean shortening of a word or phrase by any means; so they’re all abbreviations and some are also acronyms and some are also initialisms, some could be all three and some are aren’t (i.e. and e.g. you’re examples: ave., St. etc.)

Top Bottom