What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Given that we are not just doing bikes...

I topped up the pressure in my central heating system. The pressure had held up well after the boiler was serviced 2 or 3 years ago, but it started dropping about a week ago. It had got down to 0.5 bar cold/0.9 bar hot, which isn't really enough. It is now 1.5 bar cold, 2.0 bar hot, which is more like it.

The pressure seems to holding, so I don't think that there are any significant leaks in the system.

I have to attach a flexible pipe to do the job. Normally I do the top end first, then the bottom. It struck me this time that that is why I normally get air in the system, which then has to be bled out. This time I attached the bottom end of the pipe first and filled it with water before attaching it. That way very little air could get in. I think the system won't need bleeding this time but I'll give it a few days to settle down then check for cold spots on the radiators.

Gwylan

Veteran
IKEA Poang chair base.

1668001168759.png

An overlarge client plonked herself in it, the canvas bit parted and she ended on the floor.
The lard arse even managed to break the timber of the base
No thought from her that she might replace it or even say sorry!
But she won't be suing me, she thinks that seems quite decent of her.

Well it will be reflected in the fee and the fact the next meeting will not be at my office.

Also I will be checking on the BMI of future clients

Shifter.jpg

This has been causing some annoyance for a week or so: the gears were not indexing and a replacement cable didn't solve the problem. I was worrying that the movement on the shifter was less positive than when I fitted it a couple of years ago and I was a bit worried that it may already be worn out, which would be expensive if it happened every two years. Then while changing the gears on the bike stand I felt the silver part in the middle move, and on a whim I tightened it; suddenly it worked like new, which was nice.

Currently on the stand is a bike brought in by a customer with the lights "not working properly" which can be a nightmare.

Plug.jpg

Thankfully cleaning the contacts and rewiring the plugs solved the issue.

ColinJ

I expect @Vantage will be along again shortly with an opinion on that dynohub! :okay:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I expect @Vantage will be along again shortly with an opinion on that dynohub! :okay:
I'm keeping quiet. :whistle:
Having wired everything up I discovered I had again.......no power. Hmm.
I disconnected the rear light and voilà, power. Hmm.
Was it the rear light? Nope. With the light disconnected but still having the rear light wiring connected, no power again. Hmm.
Was it the front light that was buggered. Nope.
Dumbass here hadn't checked the terminals weren't touching...which they were. Ugh. I'm now wondering if there was a cut in the old wiring exposing the copper. 2 separate wires...both cut...in the same spot? That being the case....have I just bought a new hub, disc adapter, wiring, connectors and built a wheel for nothing? :eek: xx(

ColinJ

I'm keeping quiet. :whistle:
Having wired everything up I discovered I had again.......no power. Hmm.
I disconnected the rear light and voilà, power. Hmm.
Was it the rear light? Nope. With the light disconnected but still having the rear light wiring connected, no power again. Hmm.
Was it the front light that was buggered. Nope.
Dumbass here hadn't checked the terminals weren't touching...which they were. Ugh. I'm now wondering if there was a cut in the old wiring exposing the copper. 2 separate wires...both cut...in the same spot? That being the case....have I just bought a new hub, disc adapter, wiring, connectors and built a wheel for nothing? :eek: xx(
Oops!

I have done many similar things over the years... :whistle:

keithmac

Guru
Rebuilt my friends Variable Vane Turbo on Monday with a new CHRA.

Put it back together and Vanes were binding, took it to bits and cleaned everything again, refinished surfaces still same issue.

Ended up shimming the Vane Plate which really you shouldn't have to do, told him turbo may have to come out again bit he was happy to try it.

Got a message on Tuesday that a was good so happy days!.

First time I've tackled a VVT so all a learning experience, set it up on the slack side as I presume clearances will tighten up when it gets red hot..

20221031_174409.jpg

20221031_174432.jpg

20221031_180311.jpg

20221107_201234.jpg

20221107_203600_02.jpg

20221107_210907.jpg

20221107_214553.jpg

Gwylan

Veteran
Rebuilt my friends Variable Vane Turbo on Monday with a new CHRA.

Put it back together and Vanes were binding, took it to bits and cleaned everything again, refinished surfaces still same issue.

Ended up shimming the Vane Plate which really you shouldn't have to do, told him turbo may have to come out again bit he was happy to try it.

Got a message on Tuesday that a was good so happy days!.

First time I've tackled a VVT so all a learning experience, set it up on the slack side as I presume clearances will tighten up when it gets red hot..

View attachment 667412

View attachment 667413

View attachment 667414

View attachment 667415

View attachment 667416

View attachment 667417

View attachment 667418

Definitely off my skill grade. Don't even understand the TLA. But well done putting the newspaper on the table

Top Bottom