What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
Pay attention at the back - VVT = Variable Vane Turbo! :whistle:

(No, I don't have the faintest idea what one of those is! :laugh:)

Thank you, though I'm not much further forward.

NATO does not admit it but they have a TLA harmonisation committee. TLA, three letter acronym

Fredo76

Über Member
New sew-ups!

IMG_3700.JPG

november4

Suddenly no hot water, oh no......but heating circuits okay, house is only 6 years old!....does nothing last these days?

google & you tubed it is likely a motorised valve failure.....switch through the programs to find which valve it was supposed to be for the hot water; found the blighter, no movement when hot water 'on'
...off to screwfix for a new one, taking chance its the actuator itself not the whole valve; lecky off, swapped out actuator, all works fine

Saved more than a few quid by doing it myself^_^ and because it was actuator only, didn't have to drain the system. Quite impressed by the way these motorized valves are designed modular, not impressed with the longevity though...but at least I know what to do now. Youtube is awesome

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
TLA is an acronym for Three Letter Acronym; and NATO is the English acronym for North Atlantic Treaty organisation.
Your homework is to reason out what FLA is.
There is a tendency these days to conflate initialisms (which TLA certainly is) with acronyms (which are initialisms that can be pronounced as a word, such as NATO or ASAP, but not TLA). Unless you're Welsh, possibly ...

Reactions: C R

Gwylan

Veteran
There is a tendency these days to conflate initialisms (which TLA certainly is) with acronyms (which are initialisms that can be pronounced as a word, such as NATO or ASAP, but not TLA). Unless you're Welsh, possibly ...

Have to acknowledge pedantry when I see it .

On the Welsh, consider the appropriateness of someone putting AS after their name.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Nothing too exciting. But with good weather forecast tomorrow - a simple check over of the (un-powered) 2-wheel fleet ready for a Family jaunt out tomorrow…..

B91A1A2E-75A2-40AD-BF1F-BB6E4A72E963.jpeg

CXRAndy

Guru
Fitted an alternator to my JCB loader. What a bloody faff, JCB dealer said it was upgraded model replacement. Wiring had different connectors, mounting different, but doable. Old alternator had threaded hole for adjustment, new one had a plain hole, so needed bolt and nut. Had right size diameter, but a fraction too short. Off to Screwfix to buy 25 bolts and nuts, cos I need 25 right:wacko:

So what took 10 mins to take off took two hours including Screwfix trip to refit.

All charging now whilst running. Except the battery clamp has cracked or had cracked and hadn't noticed it when battery was disconnected for doing the alternator.

So one job leads to another.

And it cost a fortune, but I need it working for Monday morning

I've got some O rings to fit on a few weeping hydraulic lines. And then sort out rear lights which have blown bulbs and or something more

Last edited:
Top Bottom