What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
20230119_144611.jpg

Latest wreck on the stand.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I just about finished the DBS Winner today, although the brake and gear cables need some adjustments which I'll do later. I still have to either clean up or replace the bottle cage as well.

New bar tape on - using some white Pro (Shimano) tape I've had for years - which seemed to suit it.

As was on collection a couple of weeks ago:

DSC00920.JPG

As it looks now:

DSC00941.JPG

DCLane

Frame & forks were good; everything else was shot to pieces. Anyone want a Scott Biaxal Tour frame? @DCLane; you've just finished a project, would you like a new one?

Thanks for the offer @Andy in Germany but I've got something waiting to be built up ... I just need to source a decent pair of shifters now and then I can start:

DSC00942.JPG

I'm still surprised how light this feels; the frameset's under a kilo and, coupled with a Dura-Ace 9000 groupset (once I sort some shifters) plus son no. 2's old Mavic Exalith wheels it should be interesting once finished.

View attachment 675091

This morning's bike: headset now tightened; a quick look revealed an urgent need for new shifters, rear tyre at least, probably chain and cassette, cables, and a good clean.

Podcast on...

Almost ready to go: gears and brakes fitted, chain and rear gears replaced; lights work; mudguards on order:

20230120_154407.jpg

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
True. They then re-appeared as a Platinum range in 2020 - with mine being bought from that: I first had a silver one which was bought new, then a blue frameset bought from the Classifieds on here. The Rapide name moved to hybrids, now their Speed range that the Leeds universities offer to staff and students in a rental scheme.

For @Jameshow 's benefit they're capable bikes. This is mine in post-LEL spec after both brake calipers and a bottle cage broke on the event - with new bling Velo Orange brake calipers and bottle cages in polished alumnium. It'll be seen (hopefully) on various audaxes this year.

View attachment 674953

Anyway, that's all off-topic but should provide some fettling opportunities; hybrid, winter bike, commuter - which mine was originally, or long-distance event bike: it's capable of the lot.

Nice yours is alloy this one is cromo steel.
Mate has one the same.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Replaced front calliper as found out the inside piston had a broken edge which had jammed it in place causing permanent rubbing against rotor. New calliper even though only the next generation had moved where hose attaches plus where bleed port is. Fortunately it came with new banjo bolt which fitted the existing banjo on my hydraulic hose. No messing around fitting a new one. Then bled brake and then fitted pads aligned calliper with rotor.

My Shimano mineral oil is 1 litre, bought in 2008 for mountain bike but still going strong. I didn’t realise back then how little mineral oil the brakes need.

Then went for a quick test ride to ensure the brakes didn’t work when I didn’t want them to, and dud work when I wanted to stop.

AEE7125C-15B1-4CDA-A55F-BAAFD31D0707.jpeg

D5784520-88ED-4FBF-B016-4D846043D918.jpeg

6D21CBBE-CBFC-40E0-BB63-6E9296F720CE.jpeg

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
After my rear wheel freehub sticking the other day i took another bike to work the rest of the week so tonight was serious fettle time
Took the cassette off which looked really worn and the chain was reading 100 % , then its onto the wheel bearing s which i had to strip to get the hub off .Hub came off and although it was working it was dirty inside the wheel and hub so i cleaned the hub and wheel and light spray grease which is very thin and then reassembled it .
Wheel bearings back in , greased and cones reassembled so its smooooooth ....
New cassette installed
Took the old chain off and while it was out took the chance to clean the inner parts of the jockey wheel cages that was pretty manky as well as a good clean of bits you cant normally get to with the wheel and chain in the way .
Wheel back on and newly measured chain installed then indexing checked just in case.
Everything seems to be sweet now but im going to leave the spare bike set up for monday just in case

Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Puncture / Flat-tyre kit assembled and fitted. After previously using a fairly successful ‘winging-it’ technique to potential issues 🤦‍♂️

Managed to get:

Small Pump
Glue-less patch kit
Spare Inner tube
Presta to Schrader adaptor
2 x Tyre Levers
Topeak Multi-Tool

….in the Zefal tool holder. Which can now be taken out on either road bike - with the extra bottle cage, also now fitted to both.

Attachments

• F4BFE2DB-E5FA-4F82-8C6B-4DB90D54FBAE.jpeg
    F4BFE2DB-E5FA-4F82-8C6B-4DB90D54FBAE.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 3

DCLane

Son no. 2's Ridley Noah Fast race bike got a new chain (a Christmas present KMC DLC-11 in black/blue) plus a cassette swap from Junior to standard. It should now be OK for this year's racing once it re-starts.

My Thompson Capella build's started with Dura-Ace crankset, derailleurs and pedals on. Other parts, and photos, to follow but this was a test to see if it'll fit me as it's Belgian-sized rather than normal. And it seems to so we'll keep going. I'm waiting on new brake hoods for the shifters and some brake calipers, then it can properly get started.

Last job for the day is to glue a tub onto a Token track wheel for racing. Getting the old glue residue off has taken a couple of evenings' work but it's all set for a new tyre later.

cyberknight

Puncture / Flat-tyre kit assembled and fitted. After previously using a fairly successful ‘winging-it’ technique to potential issues 🤦‍♂️

Managed to get:

Small Pump
Glue-less patch kit
Spare Inner tube
Presta to Schrader adaptor
2 x Tyre Levers
Topeak Multi-Tool

….in the Zefal tool holder. Which can now be taken out on either road bike - with the extra bottle cage, also now fitted to both.

i use a leyzyne quick release caddy , you can buy extra saddle clips so you can transfer the pack quickly although no room for a pump
https://road.cc/content/review/80897-lezyne-m-caddy-quick-release

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
i use a leyzyne quick release caddy , you can buy extra saddle clips so you can transfer the pack quickly although no room for a pump
https://road.cc/content/review/80897-lezyne-m-caddy-quick-release

They look good ! I debated for a while about bar-bags, seat bag or the ‘tool bottle’ that I ended up going with. And had I gone for the under-seat solution - your exact model was on my Radar ! We’ll see how what I’ve got turns out…..

***I bet you have got room for a pump. Mine fits inside my bottle and is just 160mm long un-stretched…..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26499954...C0nOHPhReS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

cyberknight

They look good ! I debated for a while about bar-bags, seat bag or the ‘tool bottle’ that I ended up going with. And had I gone for the under-seat solution - your exact model was on my Radar ! We’ll see how what I’ve got turns out…..

***I bet you have got room for a pump. Mine fits inside my bottle and is just 160mm long un-stretched…..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26499954...C0nOHPhReS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

i meant in the bag :smile: pump goes next to the side of the bottle like yours i think

Top Bottom