What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drzdave58

Über Member
Put on a pair of Kenda 26x400 tires like new i got for $5 ea.

20230115_112932.jpg

annirak

Veteran
Substantial cursing as I tried to remove a stuck bolt from the chain stay bridge that was holding in the old mudguards. I eventually cleared it with visegrips. Then I had to work out how to make the rack compatible with the new mudguards, which was far more complex than it should have been.

New mudguards are on now, and it's much nicer not being sprayed in the face with mud.

edit: Also installed spikes on Mrs. Annirak's bike, in anticipation of tonight's freeze. Discovered that the spiked tyres are 30mm and her tubes are 35mm. What a pain. New tubes coming later today...

annirak

Veteran
Had a slow leak yesterday. From the rear tyre, of course. I de-tensioned the belt, disconnected the cable for the hub, dropped the wheel out, got the tyre off, inspected the tube... and couldn't find a puncture. Or a hole. Or anything. I bumped the valve stem and it looked a bit funny. Tried twisting it a little... turns out the blasted removable core had self-loosened! I could have fixed that with half the faff!

buzz22

Über Member
20230112_085440.jpg

A quick ride last night on my Giant CFR to give the new GP5000's a go- wow. They feel great on the road and are well worth the money.
One issue that reoccurred was with the front derailleur on this bike. I converted to downtube shifters so needed to convert the front derailleur to one with a longer arm.
The female thread in the derailleur was stripped so the cable would not hold tension- hopefully I've fixed it with a 16mm M5 bolt, some washers and a nyloc nut.
Fingers crossed.

Before
20220515_145337.jpg

After
20230119_094215.jpg

Finally finished the main work on Middle Son's commute/touring bike. The luggage rack is a temporary affair until a better suited one turns up; I wanted to make sure the lights worked, and the rear light fits onto the rack.

20230116_162431.jpg

I'm now wondering if the frame is a bit small. I'm 158cm and tend to set the saddle quite high; on the other hand, Middle Son is a bit taller than me.

I'll see what Middle Son thinks when he rides it; I've got a "plan B" if it doesn't work.

I needed to get something from the local DIY store so used that as an excuse for a slightly longer test ride.

20230116_155744.jpg

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Not got it yet a Ridgeback rapide 500ex.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17552906...tixoXeJTeO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Anyone know anything about them??

Not much, but mid 90's and Ridgeback make better frames than people seem to realise; I ride my 400km+ audaxes on a Ridgeback Platinum. I like how the seller's mentioned the parts needed but not *why* the rear derailleur's tied round the quill stem.

Rather than on the 'fettled' page you might get a better response on the 'Vintage & Classic Bikes' section.

Good purchase though; it didn't come up on any of my searches so you must've offered & bought it quickly :whistle:

Jameshow

Veteran
Not much, but mid 90's and Ridgeback make better frames than people seem to realise; I ride my 400km+ audaxes on a Ridgeback Platinum. I like how the seller's mentioned the parts needed but not *why* the rear derailleur's tied round the quill stem.

Rather than on the 'fettled' page you might get a better response on the 'Vintage & Classic Bikes' section.

Good purchase though; it didn't come up on any of my searches so you must've offered & bought it quickly :whistle:

£40...!👍

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This is what happened to 'Rapide' later: Rapide
I bought an RL3 frame maybe 10 years ago to transfer components from my tired 'Blue Ribble' to use as a winter bike.

True. They then re-appeared as a Platinum range in 2020 - with mine being bought from that: I first had a silver one which was bought new, then a blue frameset bought from the Classifieds on here. The Rapide name moved to hybrids, now their Speed range that the Leeds universities offer to staff and students in a rental scheme.

For @Jameshow 's benefit they're capable bikes. This is mine in post-LEL spec after both brake calipers and a bottle cage broke on the event - with new bling Velo Orange brake calipers and bottle cages in polished alumnium. It'll be seen (hopefully) on various audaxes this year.

DSCF5549.JPG

Anyway, that's all off-topic but should provide some fettling opportunities; hybrid, winter bike, commuter - which mine was originally, or long-distance event bike: it's capable of the lot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom