What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buzz22

Über Member
I just about finished the DBS Winner today, although the brake and gear cables need some adjustments which I'll do later. I still have to either clean up or replace the bottle cage as well.

New bar tape on - using some white Pro (Shimano) tape I've had for years - which seemed to suit it.

As was on collection a couple of weeks ago:

View attachment 674982

As it looks now:

View attachment 674983

That came up well, the new tape and hoods make a big difference.

buzz22

Über Member
My bike I dubbed "Throwback" due to all the 80's Shimano 600 Tricolor parts I originally had on it underwent some change a while ago.
After building it I realised the geometry was better suited to more relaxed riding so I converted it to a light touring bike with a Shimano Deore driveline and a handlebar bag to join the rear rack and bag.
I'm yet to actually test it out on a decent ride but I've got annual leave starting so will be getting out for some long rides.
Today it received a new set of flat pedals ready for touring.
20230123_204315.jpg

I also experimented with lighting and tested out my Ravemen light- the beam is slightly affected at the bottom by the bag but still works well.
20230123_204307.jpg

The bracket for the bag has a mount for lighting or a computer, really well designed.

20230123_204436.jpg

I'm looking forward to getting out there and doing a couple of longer trips on it.

CXRAndy

Guru
The guts of microwaves are pretty scary.
View attachment 674213

The part with Galanz is the magnetron, HV step up transformer directly below. The right of the transformer is the capacitor and rectifier diode.

The magnetron had a -1800v DC voltage with a low voltage heater winding also.

Modern digital multimeters don't have the voltage range to live test the working operation but an old AVo analogue does with 2kv voltage range.

WARNING if you attempt to test anything please ensure you have discharged the capacitor first. They are a large capacity and can unleash lots of current coupled with -1800V . Absolutely leathal.

That said if you know how to use a meter, live testing is quite safe with care. It's not often the transformers fail mostly magnetrons. Occasionally the diode or capacitor can fail.

Magnetrons can fail if the oven is not extremely clean and the wave guide is burnt in any way. You can buy sheets of the wave guide cover

Solocle

Über Member
The part with Galanz is the magnetron, HV step up transformer directly below. The right of the transformer is the capacitor and rectifier diode.

The magnetron had a -1800v DC voltage with a low voltage heater winding also.

Modern digital multimeters don't have the voltage range to live test the working operation but an old AVo analogue does with 2kv voltage range.

WARNING if you attempt to test anything please ensure you have discharged the capacitor first. They are a large capacity and can unleash lots of current coupled with -1800V . Absolutely leathal.

That said if you know how to use a meter, live testing is quite safe with care. It's not often the transformers fail mostly magnetrons. Occasionally the diode or capacitor can fail.

Magnetrons can fail if the oven is not extremely clean and the wave guide is burnt in any way. You can buy sheets of the wave guide cover

Generally I'd say that if you don't already know what it is you're dealing with, don't go poking around with it!

I separated the components, and my only experiments have been with the transformer.
B20C065F-A4A9-4F77-9E9A-589672EDD021.jpeg

Judging by the spark gap that spark is closer to 10 kV. It didn't arc, but when you turned it off the flyback could do that.

CXRAndy

Guru
Generally I'd say that if you don't already know what it is you're dealing with, don't go poking around with it!

I separated the components, and my only experiments have been with the transformer.
View attachment 675489
Judging by the spark gap that spark is closer to 10 kV. It didn't arc, but when you turned it off the flyback could do that.

You could do some basic testing for resistance of the primary and secondary windings. It's unlikely to shorted to earth or the fuses would have blown.

From memory magnetrons don't have a reading for resistance. I used to check HV voltage, heater voltage and current by breaking the circuit on the earth side of the capacitor. If they were correct, magnetron was faulty. You can get low power output and a simple test was to measure water temp increase over a set heating time

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Another bike has arrived:

View attachment 675539

It has plenty of issues. Most I can deal with but I'm not sure about this:

View attachment 675540

I am still learning about suspension forks but I'm guessing this is pretty serious. Is it repairable or do the forks need replacing?
Does the rubber dust cover just need sliding down?
Does the fork compress and rebound ok?

Last edited:
Top Bottom