What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
Only if you show us pictures.
Yup... thats the bell off a chocolate bunny from Easter and six Canadian pennies which have been hammered into domes.

D0439E24-2FB3-4FA7-847E-5831905CB548.jpeg

After tonight's ⛈️ ⛈️⛈️ I wiped down the bike and relubed the chain. I also tightened the rear brake which had shooken loose and tightened the headset I went to clean and regrease the stem cap bolt but found it perfectly clean apart from the grease which was still in its original condition so I just added more grease and tightened it up.

My other fettle was pretty minimal too. I fitted new 35deg extension poles to my TT bike yester replacing the 45deg ones. I thought I might need to adjust them but they felt perfect on the turbore so I just torqued them up. What I did do is move the computer mount up so it was in my field of vision. Given though I could do with reading glasses for anything up close that field of vision isn't the best 😂

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The dreaded "creak of unknown origin" has been getting gradually worse on the commuter. Definitely caused by pressure on pedals, both cranks cause it, happens in or out of the saddle, hands on or off bars.

I thought tightening the chainring bolts had solved it, but it returned, and by yesterday was at extremely annoying, not to say concerning decibels. So last night spent a good half hour with son making it creak stationary whilst I increasingly desperately examined the frame minutely and loosened and retightened every conceivable point of attachment. Nothing doing, gave up, thoroughly paranoid about frame cracks.

This morning thought, "well, I did tighten the rear QR, but didn't lube it". So loosened QR, quick squirt of WD40 either side of dropouts and HALLELUJAH A SILENT BIKE!!!

By the time I get to work though, a very faint distinctly different new rattle is becoming apparent...

Gwylan

Veteran
The dreaded "creak of unknown origin" has been getting gradually worse on the commuter. Definitely caused by pressure on pedals, both cranks cause it, happens in or out of the saddle, hands on or off bars.

I thought tightening the chainring bolts had solved it, but it returned, and by yesterday was at extremely annoying, not to say concerning decibels. So last night spent a good half hour with son making it creak stationary whilst I increasingly desperately examined the frame minutely and loosened and retightened every conceivable point of attachment. Nothing doing, gave up, thoroughly paranoid about frame cracks.

This morning thought, "well, I did tighten the rear QR, but didn't lube it". So loosened QR, quick squirt of WD40 either side of dropouts and HALLELUJAH A SILENT BIKE!!!

By the time I get to work though, a very faint distinctly different new rattle is becoming apparent...

Fixing a problem just promotes the others.

Fixing a problem not on the list just confuses those on the list

chriswoody

Legendary Member
So more adventures with tubeless today. When I first converted the Gravel bike many moons ago, I used Effetto Mariposa sealant and whilst many on here have reported great success with it, I've had no end of problems with it clogging my valves up with big globs of latex. So today I decided that not only would I clean out the sealant and swap it across to Stans, which I've been using in my other bike with no issues at all, but also look at the valve cores.

Up till now I've not come up with an effective way to clean the cores and have just been buying new ones, but recent supply issues have meant a re-think. So I decided to attack the top of the core with a file and after a few moments of patient filing I'd removed the swaged end and was able to fully unscrew the knurled nut and then remove the inner part. With this done I could finally clean the latex out and have a fully functioning valve core again.

IMG_20230511_173415413.jpg

The bead of the tires were then unseated and the old sealant cleaned out, before replacing with Stans. So hopefully this should prove as hassle free as the other bike now.

13 rider

Guru
I've been handing a project by my Sister , She has picked up a free child's bike Denis the menace no less off someone drive .The plan is too make it rideable on donate it to my nephew's friend son .
In fairly good nick bit battered as it had some use and the rear alloy wheel ( front is plastic) has surface rust on it ,cleaned a good bit off with tin foil same with seat post
The main issue is the chain it's proper rusty for any of you who work on single speeds a question there is no quick link and chain breaker tool is just a small hand held off a multi tool and I can't get enough purchase on it any ideas
Have wire brushed and removed as much surface rust as possible ,may just soak it oil as best I can and see in the morning

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
I've been handing a project by my Sister , She has picked up a free child's bike Denis the menace no less off someone drive .The plan is too make it rideable on donate it to my nephew's friend son .
In fairly good nick bit battered as it had some use and the rear alloy wheel ( front is plastic) has surface rust on it ,cleaned a good bit off with tin foil same with seat post
The main issue is the chain it's proper rusty for any of you who work on single speeds a question there is no quick link and chain breaker tool is just a small hand held off a multi tool and I can't get enough purchase on it any ideas
Have wire brushed and removed as much surface rust as possible ,may just soak it oil as best I can and see in the morning
Cut it off with angle grinder Phil. Fit split link version

13 rider

Guru
1683895108912-10859984.jpg

Ready to roll . Spoke to the kids parents and they just want to get the kid to try it before committing any money to it and they are away at Grand parents this weekend who have a long drive to try it out on .
General clean up checked brakes all ok tyres pumped up. Cleaned the chain as best I could good lube and its good for now . Recommending new chain and bearing in rear could do with stripping , might be cheaper to just bye a new wheel but hopeful an excited 4 year old will have fun on it and it's saved from the tip for now

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
View attachment 689207
Ready to roll . Spoke to the kids parents and they just want to get the kid to try it before committing any money to it and they are away at Grand parents this weekend who have a long drive to try it out on .
General clean up checked brakes all ok tyres pumped up. Cleaned the chain as best I could good lube and its good for now . Recommending new chain and bearing in rear could do with stripping , might be cheaper to just bye a new wheel but hopeful an excited 4 year old will have fun on it and it's saved from the tip for now

Yea. But did YOU test ride it ?

***Nice work BTW :hello:

november4

Replaced my bottom bracket with an pressfit ultegra bb71, they are on sale and suprisingly cheap. I know now never to expect to be able to simply replace bearings.....the cup remover tool I bought was next to useless as it was very tight in frame. In the end had to hammer and drift the old one out which was a bit daunting, but survived that.
I did notice that the screw for the plastic cable guide had been screwed through into the sleeve between the cups, depth limited that with a washer before cleaning frame and installing the new one with a cheap but satisfying bearing press tool.

I solved my ultegra rear D problem, where the 105 would install but the ultegra would not............I had been trying to install it with the extra link to the frame hanger 🤠, so instead installed it directly and it indexed perfectly, all running smooth

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Lots of jobs today
The commuter wheel was making a grinding noise so stripped it and re-greased the bearings , oddly the cassette spacer is missing and i didnt take it off last time, its on tightish so its not liable to fall off on its own , luckily i had a spare.
next one of the mudgaurd arms was snapped so as its only crud plastic i glued it together and then cable tied around the area for extra strength.
Re indexed the gears and fine tuned the brake to match the readjusted hub .

next bike
old boardman road bike i put the stock saddle back on for a test ride tomorrow as i went for a more shaped wider saddle a couple of years ago but that was before i realized i was sitting to high so im just seeing if a more racey saddle would be better now i have altered my fit .

Project bike
took the rear wheel of the giant mtb as the one on it was to narrow for the frame and bodged in, put the wheel off the spesh and just about to see if it all works .

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Lots of jobs today
The commuter wheel was making a grinding noise so stripped it and re-greased the bearings , oddly the cassette spacer is missing and i didnt take it off last time, its on tightish so its not liable to fall off on its own , luckily i had a spare.
next one of the mudgaurd arms was snapped so as its only crud plastic i glued it together and then cable tied around the area for extra strength.
Re indexed the gears and fine tuned the brake to match the readjusted hub .

next bike
old boardman road bike i put the stock saddle back on for a test ride tomorrow as i went for a more shaped wider saddle a couple of years ago but that was before i realized i was sitting to high so im just seeing if a more racey saddle would be better now i have altered my fit .

Project bike
took the rear wheel of the giant mtb as the one on it was to narrow for the frame and bodged in, put the wheel off the spesh and just about to see if it all works .
All changed and i have a working bike out of the two :smile: feels cramped at the front as it needs a longer stem , hopefully the one off @All uphill will sort it :smile: the bars are narrow at 58 cm wide and the other ones are 65 cm so i have options .

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
As I have decided to use the old Omega next weekend, I thought I should sort out the slightly reluctant rear changes. Tried just fitting an inner, but the sheathing still gave high resistance. So I bit the bullet, unwrapped the top half of the bar and replaced the outer with new. Then had to tape the outer in place and re-wrap as invisibly as possible. I replaced the loop to the derailleur as well, pulled the cable tight and clamped it. It only required a minor tweak to get the gear change working like new.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So more adventures with tubeless today. When I first converted the Gravel bike many moons ago, I used Effetto Mariposa sealant and whilst many on here have reported great success with it, I've had no end of problems with it clogging my valves up with big globs of latex. So today I decided that not only would I clean out the sealant and swap it across to Stans, which I've been using in my other bike with no issues at all, but also look at the valve cores.

Up till now I've not come up with an effective way to clean the cores and have just been buying new ones, but recent supply issues have meant a re-think. So I decided to attack the top of the core with a file and after a few moments of patient filing I'd removed the swaged end and was able to fully unscrew the knurled nut and then remove the inner part. With this done I could finally clean the latex out and have a fully functioning valve core again.

View attachment 689111

The bead of the tires were then unseated and the old sealant cleaned out, before replacing with Stans. So hopefully this should prove as hassle free as the other bike now.

Tubes !

Top Bottom