What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I needed a quick on train fettle of the brake pads. They looked fine but the pad screws were touching the narrower rim on braking so I lowered them a fraction. I'm glad it was nothing more than that on a bouncing train. The bike at least was strapped into the cycle space.

20230519_065407.jpg

20230519_065417.jpg

20230519_065428.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Having ridden a 400km audax last weekend I ended up with a sore knee and it's not fully healed, so this weekend's 400km Not Quite The Spurn Head audax is out. I'm also entered for a 10 mile time trial on the Sunday, which would've been interesting to follow the audax.

What to do instead? There's a Retro Ride in the Vale of Belvoir and I enjoy those, having done a couple before. Then I can do the TT on the Sunday.

But which bike? The Dawes Kingpin's tucked well down in storage, and I've taken that before. Plus the climbs are fairly tough on the knees using the Kingpin. And I've sold my 1959 Harry Quinn to an enthusiast. However, the event would be a useful point to take the Peugeot Optimum that's not sold via eBay yet.

But ... if I sell the Pug, what can I ride? Ah, I've got a Woodrup. Or rather, a 'Woodrust' currently.

So it got pulled out, and further cleaned. The Terry Sport saddle, which I've picked up is worth something :blink: (and I've discovered is a ladies saddle - so the Woodrup was probably built for a :girldance: ) is off and I found a Selle Seta saddle which looks OK. However, I want to change the bars/stem at some point so expensive bar tape is out. At the back of my bar tape shelf was an old PlanetX white/red bar tape which has been there so long I don't remember buying it from whatever big sale they had years, and years, ago.

Saddle on, hoods rejuvenated with degreaser - which worked a treat - and the bar tape's on. The chain and crankset is all cleaned using a mixture of degreaser and lubricant, as are the wheels. Also, a temporary set of SPD's has gone on to replace the caged Shimano 600 pedals. I can't do anything about mis-matched wheels, but the rest seems fine to go.

PXL_20230519_074321884.jpg

Test-ride, and probable saddle angle adjustment looking at the photo, when it's drier this afternoon. Also, I might change the rear brake cable as it's the only non-stainless one.

Then, a "proper" 30-mile test ride is on the cards on Saturday ...

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've been looking for a spare set of QR skewers. In the spares draw are 3 sets of fronts, but no rears ? Further searching in the tray where the brake bleed kits are kept, I discover a new unused set of QR skewers - these are now on some spare wheels. Still no idea where the other 3 rears are though !

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Around 3000km on my Brompton so far and I was giving it a clean and lube yesterday and gave the tyres a quick once over.

The Stockport and Manchester roads have given them a good workout. Ordered a new set which came in at £40 posted for Marathons, which is what these where. I considered the plus model but I've been happy with these so thought i would stick with them.

No bother on the commute today though.

IMG_20230518_185030.jpg

IMG_20230518_185036.jpg

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Trying to get a bit more organised, picked up these peg boards for £5 from Aldi, there is actually 1 more panel I'm not using here.

Idea is when stuff is charged / removed from the bag it's easy to grab.

Pretty please with it.
IMG_20230521_141019.jpg

IMG_20230521_142630.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yesterday was a clear out day. Stuff in the house and shed, but more importantly, the garage (bike parking). I have an old pine set of drawers in there, but it's bulky and doesn't hold much. So that was dismantled and anything I'd not used went in the bin. Bike parts went into the bike part's boxes (mainly a shed load of Uniglide Dura Ace sprockets and a DA headset (should keep me going until I can no longer ride !).

In the space of the drawers went two sets of plastic storage drawers - one full of son's car parts, the other was then filled with more car stuff. That's freed up more floor space for bike maintenance.

Top Bottom