What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Put new cleats on. The pedal attachment felt quite loose, so decided to get some original shimano sh51 cleats to see if it would make a difference and it did, hugely. The original cleats that came with the decathlon shoes always felt a tad loose, and they got progressively worse. They've worn out very quickly, less than two years, which I wasn't expecting, but the shoes they came with are still almost like new, so can't complain.

Gwylan

Veteran
Putting off installing new brake pads.
Choosing and buying was hard enough work. Couldn't dream of just replacing with the same brand. Far two simple.

How do people push the piston back to accept the new pad assembly? Big flat screwdriver?
Should I open the filler point on the brake handle?
Words not lining up this afternoon

13 rider

Guru
Putting off installing new brake pads.
Choosing and buying was hard enough work. Couldn't dream of just replacing with the same brand. Far two simple.

How do people push the piston back to accept the new pad assembly? Big flat screwdriver?
Should I open the filler point on the brake handle?
Words not lining up this afternoon
Leave the old pads in and then flat screwdriver or tyre lever.
I always managed without opening and valves

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
New marathons on the Brompton. The old ones had lots of cuts to the treads and I want the reliability so new tyres it was.

3000km + on the previous set and these cost £30 so not a bad price really.

IMG_20230523_180720.jpg

IMG_20230523_180723.jpg

IMG_20230523_180725.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Ian May is ride ready after a session tonight ^_^

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
With the Woodrup's rear wheel failing on a test ride at the weekend I had a look yesterday. The cassette was clean, as I'd expect from a hardly used bike / unused bike depending upon the seller's comment. However ... I also knew the wheels had been stored separately from the frame and that one wheel wasn't original.

Under the cassette was dirt, rust and spiders. It was also seized :cursing:

After leaving it soaking in penetrating fluid overnight I had a go today in-between exam marking. Non-drive side was fine but the drive side had rust in it, together with one of the pawls having an accumulation of dirt once I managed to get all the drive side components out; the freehub's a Shimano FH-5500 so simple to service. I'm guessing they've been stored outside for years and just stuck on for the sale, with the dirt accumulating at one point. Rust/marks at one point in each wheel would tend to confirm this.

Bearings out, freehub dismantled - and it seems to be OK - all cleaned thoroughly, greased and new bearings. Then back together and it appears to be OK; I'll give it a test-ride later this week.

Ironically I bought a nice Mavic Helium wheelset this morning, so these may not stay anyway but it's been a learning experience.

Last edited:

Tom B

Guru
Day 3 of putting cleats on summer shoes...#

Went out to the shed.
Moved the bike, pulled out the box of bike bits out to rummage through for a cleat, came across a couple of pairs of jockey wheels, remembered that shifting had become really rubbish, whipped out the stand and changed the chain, jockey wheels and cassette.

I think it was about time

1684930940713.png

1684930982739.png

Probably need a new big ring too.
Though it does annoy me a single ring is the same price as a crankset

1684931175699.png

Still got one cleat on my summer shoes, winter shoes for work again

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Day 3 of putting cleats on summer shoes...#

Went out to the shed.
Moved the bike, pulled out the box of bike bits out to rummage through for a cleat, came across a couple of pairs of jockey wheels, remembered that shifting had become really rubbish, whipped out the stand and changed the chain, jockey wheels and cassette.

I think it was about time

View attachment 691179

View attachment 691180

Probably need a new big ring too.
Though it does annoy me a single ring is the same price as a crankset

View attachment 691182

Still got one cleat on my summer shoes, winter shoes for work again

Get TA or Spa chain rings instead?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm really struggling for space in the workshop area; there's the Woodrup in there, a Ridley Helium frameset and the Viner I'm building. Plus the Kingpin I never get moving on. Oh, and a broken smart turbo to sort out.

So ... as it's going to be :cold: soon - :whistle: - I got to finishing the Viner Mitus. Or finishing for now.

Cable outers and cable inners in. That was a bit bigger job than envisaged: there was a reason why the frameset seller said he'd left the cables in - the bolt holding the cables in place was rusted through. Given the bottom section of the frame needed to come out in order to fit the cables this was :cursing:

So, soaked overnight and removed resulting in me finding a pile of gunk at the bottom of the frame. That's all now cleaned out and greased; water and dirt had been getting in through a Di2 hole (which I've put a 'Swisstop' sticker over) and a lack of seal at the bottom along with water-sealing all the cable points. New bolt added as well.

Then the cable inners went down, through the frame and back out. After I couple of goes it was better to do both together with the cable-holding piece at the bottom of the frame out. Then fit the cable holding piece. Then tighten the cables. All sorted and, after some adjustment, all working.

Brake cables in. Raceblade Long mudguards on and bar tape after a brief test ride.

PXL_20230526_064726354.jpg

It's not quite finished as the Superstar Components Pavé wheelset that I'll be using isn't on - I'm going to pick up some green/black Pirelli Cinturato Velo tyres for this as it's a 'winter bike'. I'm also after an Ultegra 6800 RH shifter to match the rest of the groupset as it's an Ultegra LH but 105 RH, which will involve fiddly dismantling but at least I know now how that works.

And I apologise for the end of summer ... :tongue: . At least if it rains I'll have something to ride now.

Woodrup next, then to decide what to do with the Ridley Helium. Plus getting a move on with the Dawes Kingpin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom