What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grievesy

was having some issues with the brakes on the London road, the front one was squealed when pulled tight and the rear was dragging, cue a youtube search as how to adjust, running a lot better this morning. tightened up the rear brake cable also. not perfect but i'll work on it.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Finished the Avanti Circa 1 winter bike build having been sat unfinished since January; inner and outer cables plus chain fitted along with bar tape. It'll need a bit of tweaking but all works. Different wheels will be used with wider tyres, these were for build purposes.

DSCF6227.JPG

And yes, it's for winter 2019/2010. I'm just planning ahead!

Removed the bottle cage from Wiggy #2, the Chartres, cleaned under it, then re-fitted the cage together with the bracket for the mini pump. Last part of that was fitting the pump into its bracket.

Just need to add an inner tube, patches, quick link, haribo and emergency £20 to my bar bag, and that's the tool kit and spares sorted.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Decided to get rid of my carbon bike and rejuvenate my old Ridley Triton which has been sitting on the turbo trainer for approx five years.

Wasn't much to do really. Stripped brackets for HR monitor and phone from handlebars. Replace TT tyre with a road tyre (Schwalbe Durano). Replace saddle with something more suited for longer distances (Spesh Toupe). Give it a thorough clean. It was while doing this that I realised the brakes were sticking, probably from not being use for so long. Stripped and cleaned them and took it for a test ride. Job's a good un.

keithmac

Guru
I spent 3 hours with my lad on Bank Holiday Monday sorting his MTB out.

Did new cables, sorted brakes out, made him a "Frankenstein derailleur" to keep him going for now.

Said we'd get some new parts for his birthday and keep it for another year before bike shopping again (he hasn't sprouted yet, nearly 12).

Would be a waste buying a new bike for him to grow out of..

One question, I tried taking his rear cassette off with the tool shown and it wouldn't fit in properly.

Do I buy the same tool in steel and try and knock it in or are their subtle size differences ( it is a Shimano 7 speed cassette). The tool appears marginally too big?.

I have a new groupset which would make his day if we can get it all to fit!.

20190422_150411.jpg
20190422_150444.jpg
20190422_150439.jpg

C R

Guru

Did new cables, sorted brakes out, made him a "Frankenstein derailleur" to keep him going for now.

Said we'd get some new parts for his birthday and keep it for another year before bike shopping again (he hasn't sprouted yet, nearly 12).

One question, I tried taking his rear cassette off with the tool shown and it wouldn't fit in properly.

Do I buy the same tool in steel and try and knock it in or are their subtle size differences ( it is a Shimano 7 speed cassette). The tool appears marginally too big?.

View attachment 464034 View attachment 464035 View attachment 464036
Is it definitely a cassette and not a freewheel? The freewheel tool is slightly different.

Pretty sure that's a freewheel, not a freehub/cassette. Altogether different tool needed.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

+1 for what others have said - that appears to be a screw on freewheel rather than a cassette so you need a freewheel tool which is subtly different. A breaker bar is useful too as you'll need plenty of leverage to undo.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Thanks to the helpful advise on here I've hopefully fettled the problem with the chain jumping between cogs on the rear cassette. For some reason the rear thru axle had worked loose / not been tightened properly - probably the second. I made some adjustments to the rear barrel adjuster as well to cut down the chatter. The weather forecast is fairly biblical tomorrow but I'm hoping to find a small window to take it for a test spin.

Fitted a 17 degree 100mm stem (previous was 6 degree) to raise bars by 7mm, taking into account that I also removed 5mm spacer.The saddle to bar drop is now 20mm and reach is 51.6cm. This is on my summer bike (Vitus Venon 2015) and yet to try. On an earlier posting ( A tale of two stems) I went back to 100mm from 90mm as I had issues with my shoulders/neck which was a lot better but not 100%, hence a 17 degree stem. This is also in the positive position and quite frankly looks OK. I know a lot would say that the bike is the wrong geometry and yes you`d be right. It has a 150mm head tube, and I love the bike and don`t feel ready to sell it My winter bike has a 17mm saddle to bar drop which is OK. I guess that I am just not as flexible as I once was, now 60. I sourced the 17 degree stem from ebay as the usual on line outfits were in my mind too expensive for something just to try. I of course may need a 110mm 17degree stem. We will see. I will post again when I have had a chance to try it out.

Top Bottom