What Have You Fettled Today?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by threebikesmcginty, 29 Sep 2011.

1. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Still tweaking the cockpit of the Chartres...

Adjusted the tension on both brake cables as the brakes were a bit too grabby and the levers too stiff - I prefer a somewhat more progressive brake set-up. Still surprised how much "stop" there is on discs as opposed to rim brakes. Also adjusted the cleat tension on the pedals.

Test ride showed brakes are now where I want them to be, but still need to have another look at the pedals.

Need to rotate the bars a little back towards me; they've been fitted with ergon grips and the bottom edges are digging into my palms. (The previous owner is a little taller than me.)

Hopefully, once that's done, that *should* sort it. And now that my bum doesn't hurt thanks to the new saddle, it's turning out to be a very nice bike.

2. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

I had to do something to stop this view from getting too depressing...

20190418_081238.jpg

... so I took the Bianchi down and gave her some attention :okay: Shes going out for a ride with me tomorrow so a clean and fettle was in order. I also took the opportunity to pop the Ultegra lh crank arm on with the Avio PowerSense power meter to give it a ride out. If successful I'll send the Dura Ace arm off to get one fitted :becool:

20190418_225503.jpg

20190418_225329.jpg

dave r, tom73, si_c and 2 others like this.
  3. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

A terrible rattle from the front end was driving me mad and I couldn't track it down. It turned out to be the bung in the steerer tube had loosened, one hefty nip with an Allen key and it was sorted.

dave r likes this.
  4. I had a traditional bank holiday - which can only mean one thing - Cuprinol!

Treated the shed to a long-overdue couple of coats. Non bike related fettling since I decided I wasn't going out on the bike this weekend to spend some time with a poorly cat who is on meds to try to keep him going until a dangerous all-or-nothing operation next Friday :sad:

Which basically meant that he slept with one eye open watching his servant working. Which is what cats do. Except for a 10 minute bout of posing in the sunshine

tylersun.jpg

5. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Pawsies crossed for your lovely supervisor xxx :hugs:

6. gavroche

gavroche Getting old but not past it

Thoroughly cleaned my Cube Peloton and won t be using it until We go to the Isle of Man to do the TT course next month. It will go for a full service first. In the meantime, the Specialized Roubaix or Allez will come into play for my next ride on Monday. Covered 26 miles on the Cube this morning.

Rickshaw Phil, Reynard and 13 rider like this.
  7. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Youngest now has mudflaps. Reflective mudflaps I’ll tell you.
    8CA24BCC-ABC5-4382-9D3F-4500653D914D.jpeg B197ACC8-BAF4-40E1-8CAC-6FD630783A0A.jpeg 77D72A86-417D-4E6B-A67F-2BE847AABD39.jpeg

8. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Never mind the mudflaps @Heltor Chasca - what's with the flamingo? ;)

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  9. 13 rider

13 rider Guru

Like the flamingo mascot

10. Heltor Chasca

You mean you don’t have one in your bike?

Reynard and 13 rider like this.
  11. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Should I? :scratch:

12. Heltor Chasca

I have one on two of my bikes. Within my Audax club there is a sub-club of ‘Flamingos’. I don’t think anyone really knows how you actually become one. One day. One very lucky day, the Head Flamingo sends you a message to say you are now a flamingo and have permission to wear the coveted Flamingo jersey.

I believe (but it may not be the reason) that I was accepted into the circle on account of an audacious event I spearheaded in Nairobi when I was 21. There was a getaway car, decoys and an enormous team effort that I put together which resulted in a completed mission. The operation I was in charge of from within a Chinese restaurant resulted in the successful kidnap of a...

..*flamingo!

(True story)

*No pink birds were harmed in this stunt. The flamingo was fibreglass.

13. MahatmaAndhi

MahatmaAndhi Regular

Today, I took my Raleigh folder (IKEA bike), scrapped the mudguards, replaced the six speed freewheel with an eight speed, re-spaced the wheel to get it to fit, new chain, new derailleur and new shifter. However, I ran out of real estate on the handlebars, so they were swapped for my old Marin Pine Mountain bars that were lying in the shed. I also de-stickered it. It didn't have the IKEA ones on there (sadly) but instead, loads of gubbins about 'Stealth Suspension' (so stealthy it doesn't exist!).

It wasn't the best job in the world, but I'm still learning.

uMEkW4p.jpg

14. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

:giggle:

Ah...

Weirdly impressive, though. :notworthy:

JhnBssll likes this.
  15. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Über Member

Had a fettle of the Bianchi this morning :okay: Having covered 100 miles on it on Friday I realised the saddle felt a little low. I checked it and raised it ~5mm to match the turbo bike which I've been fine tuning over the winter. I'll check the rest of the fleet later :laugh:

Since the continued weight loss means I dont have much of a gut to lean over anymore I decided to drop the stem a little. I had been riding with 25mm of spacers below the stem and 5mm above. I decided since I'm never going to need it as high as it is now and will likely drop it further in the coming months I would chop 10mm off the steerer. I've now got 20mm of spacers under the stem and nothing above it. This combo of bars down and saddle up has made the bike feel even more comfortable, I'm looking forward to taking her out again for a ride ^_^

20190421_125513.jpg

While I was tidying up afterwards I also discovered my spare speed and cadence sensors seem to be multiplying, I genuinely dont know how I got to this point :laugh:

20190421_132351~2.jpg :cycle:

Last edited: 21 Apr 2019
    iancity, Rickshaw Phil, avsd and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice