What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Here's that Peugeot

Suicide levers. I will of course try them out later to see how suicidal they really are.
Tyres holding up OK, 'Super Fast' brand- sound promising.

View attachment 524139

Some bits are shiny.
Cottered cranks on this one.

View attachment 524140

Some bits aren't so shiny.

View attachment 524141
View attachment 524142

It's got a sticker on it from Bob Addy's shop.
I once traded in a Carbolite Peugeot for a Muddy Fox Courier in there.

I sold one of those last year, it was huge!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Earlier this week I tidied this Raleigh Pioneer up for someone. Cleaned up rusty chain, brake and gear tweaks, air in tyres, bit of a polish generally- total cost: £0

GqXX5rU.jpg

In the photo you can see the rear mudguard looks a bit weird- found the stays had been threaded through the wrong side of the mount so I sorted that out today, put some of those little rubber caps over the ends (took them off the mudguards I junked from the Peugeot)

It came with no front 'guard and I don't have anything suitable.

She's just picked it up, and now I have her daughter's bike to do (looks like a very similar job)

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Not so much as a fettle (that will be tomorrow), more of a fiddle.
A few years ago I gave my sister a Giant CRS1 flatbar that I couldn't get on with - it's at least 1 size too large for her and it was sold as a mens bike, but she loves it for her 2 mile commute to work and because the price was right and it comes with free servicing! I picked it up this afternoon as she said the gears and the brakes needed adjusting, so on getting home I had a quick look and all it seemed to need was the gear cable and the cable operated brakes tightening up a bit, plus a bit of a clean. However, I couldn't resist test fitting a set of Clarks M2 hydraulic brakes I had lying around on the frame just to see if they would go as a free upgrade for her. They did so I've now got to strip the old cables & levers off and replace them with the new bits as well as sort the gears tomorrow.
Turned out to need very little work - checked the derailleur hanger and that was almost perfect so re-set the high & low screws on the derailleur, tightened the gear cable and lubed the chain. Then removed the old cable brakes and replaced them with the Clarks hydraulics and a quick test ride to bed the brakes in and check all was well befiore putting it back into the car and returning it to my sister.

roley poley

Über Member
First frustration already: Woods valves.

Came with a pump but the adaptor had perished. Tried to jam the adaptor into the track pump but it was too crumbly.
donated my '64 standard to the moulton preservation society they have loads of bits if you want to do them up

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Got air in the tyres lads. Cut more of the adaptor away and jammed it in the Schrader end of the track pump.

Tyres aren't in the best condition.

Reactions: DSK

roley poley

Über Member
Got air in the tyres lads. Cut more of the adaptor away and jammed it in the Schrader end of the track pump.

Tyres aren't in the best condition.
hows the rear fork they were prone to crack or rust just behind the rear hinge like mine did but then I did carry a full mail bag out on delivery on it for over 3 years good bikes

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
hows the rear fork they were prone to crack or rust just behind the rear hinge like mine did but then I did carry a full mail bag out on delivery on it for over 3 years good bikes

That's the bit I'm not sure about yet. I've just given it a clean to get rid of the furry grime that was all over it.

Will go over the area with Mr Sheen and have a good look- it's still too filthy down there!

Top Bottom