What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Laced a "Hubsmith" Brompton front hub to the original rim using Brompton (Sapim) superlight spokes. The hub manufacturer recommended doing it x2 like Brompton's own superlight hub, so I did. It almost looks like a normal wheel in the first photo...

Attachments

• IMG-20200708-WA0006.jpeg
    IMG-20200708-WA0006.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG-20200708-WA0008.jpeg
    IMG-20200708-WA0008.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 2

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Finally got the puzzle back together today. Hopefully using it for work soon. Really like the retro Shimano CI Deck dials.

_nc_ohc=7auUtf8VO3AAX-sBQQ7&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=xwB2ZekrmOwAX-OltYw&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=jz5gTb3mDRAAX90P5Ct&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Removed an old chain, cleaned the derailleurs, chainset and freewheel,
...then measured, cut & fitted the new chain (KMC with quick link),
for the blue bike shown on the left:smile:

philtalksbx

Über Member
The decals for the Record Ace arrived today.

That meant a final colour coat and then very (VERY) careful application with a lot of lining up assistance from Mrs P. The result is beyond what I hoped for, so here are the first pictures of the frame.

A bit of context and a disclaimer first - this is not going to be a faithful restoration project as it will be fitted with the slightly more modern kit (Dura-Ace 7700 9 speed, love it!) currently running on a 90's Claud Butler frame. I thought long and hard about the pale green colour scheme and just didn't fancy it. The decals, which would still salute its origins, are black and gold so I went for a Ford white for crispness and universal availability for future repairs. I'm sure its not to everyone's taste but I think it looks lovely....

IMG_0345.jpeg

IMG_0348.jpeg
IMG_0347.jpeg

JhnBssll

Veteran
Taking the new XR4 out for a spin tomorrow so gave it a once over this evening. The front brake was still under-performing so I sanded the rotor and bedded it back in, much better now.

Before and after sanding:

I then put some air in the tyres, checked the chain and re-paired some sensors after my cycling computer did a software update earlier 😊

I still can't get over how clean the lines are on this bike with no cables in the way :laugh:

Gunk

Guru
I collected and cleaned up my new purchase, plus touched in some knocks and scratches on the frame.

I deep cleaned and serviced it, it didn't need much just plenty of lube.

I then swapped the Brookes for my Selle Italia SLR (much lighter and far more comfortable)

Bar tape next, I hate white, so I'm fitting Cinelli cork in black, when Amazon deliver it later. I also found a new home for the Brooks, nothing like a bit of upcycling! I loosened off the tension bolt and it's now OK, not as comfortable as the standard Brompton saddle, but when it looks this good who cares!

silva

Über Member
I am still struggling to extract the 2 damaged chainring bolts on my singlespeed bike to check my hypothesis that the annoying ticking noise that I am hearing under load on that bike is due to being unable to tighten those bolts.

I had an idea which might support the hypothesis - to lube the bolts and the interface between the spider and the ring. Maybe by making the various bits of metal slippery, any slight movement between them may be steady and silent rather than sudden and noisy?

I have been waiting for a thunderstorm to pass over and conditions to cool. I'll nip out on the bike later to see if it still ticks!

I still need to replace the bolts but will be in less of a hurry if I can get the bike to STFU in the meantime! :laugh:

While I was at it, I discovered that the bolt holding the chain tensioner's jockey wheel on was loose so I tightened it. I lost a jockey wheel bolt on a ride once and it was a real show-stopper - I searched the road for many metres for the missing bolt but there was no sign of it. In the end I scooted home on the bike, a distance of about 5 kms. At least I have avoided that happening this time.
A ticking noise on that place is usually a chainring worn more than the chain. If you pedaling out of the saddle, and bend forwards, does the noise change/disappear?
A quarter mount rotation of the chainring may then make the noise go when in the saddle.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A ticking noise on that place is usually a chainring worn more than the chain. If you pedaling out of the saddle, and bend forwards, does the noise change/disappear?
A quarter mount rotation of the chainring may then make the noise go when in the saddle.
I was thinking along those lines myself.

If I am pedalling fairly gently the noise is absent. Once I put more effort in, it starts. It happens when my right pedal is at about 5 o'clock (looking from the chainring side). I climbed out of the saddle the other day to confirm that the saddle and seatpost were not culprits - I still got the noise. I can modify it by varying my pedalling style.

I'll take the chain off tomorrow and look at the chainring. If I spot any burrs on the teeth, I'll file them off and see if that fixes the problem.

I still have a stuck chainring bolt so I would have to sort that out before rotating or replacing the ring.

Top Bottom