What have you found while riding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark68

Über Member
Pliers long and short nose, still got them been quite hady.
Wallet x3 different days all returned with contents cos i'm nice.
Rack cyclebag with waterproofs house keys wallet and phone. Arranged to meet at a castle and returned them to relieved owners.
All the usual fast food outlet rubbish which is really annoying. Bet they wouldn't just dump it in their own garden
Also has anyone notice all the rubbish on the A1 near clumber park. Saw it all a while ago. Makes me despair

Last edited:

Gixxerman

Guru
On my wife's commute into work she passes a trading estate with the usual stores ( DFS, Curry's, Carpet Wright etc)
Then they built a Macdonalds with a " Drive Through Restaurant "....
Same thing at my P+R bus stop, which is outside a KFC. Nearly every morning there is rubbish all over the carpark and pavement. The maddening thing is that there are 2 bins, one at each end of the car park and no more than a 10m walk from anywhere in the carpark. However the lazy ****ers can't be arsed to get out their shoot-box Corsa's and the like to put their shoot in the bin. Drives me ****ing crazy. Sorry, rant over.

classic33

Leg End Member
On my wife's commute into work she passes a trading estate with the usual stores ( DFS, Curry's, Carpet Wright etc)
Then they built a Macdonalds with a " Drive Through Restaurant "

It didn't take long before the empty food and drink containers started appearing in the hedges and littering the cycle paths, gradually creeping further and further up the roads.

It really does wind me up, it is a deliberate act to turn the environment into an untidy sh*t hole.

My solution is three fold:

First offence - a public Tazering until they have lost control of their bowels and then they have to walk home in their sh*t stained clothing.

Second Offence - as above but their vehicle is crushed and they are charged for its disposal.

Third Offence - Deportation to Australia

So what do others think? Perhaps the punishment for the third offence is a tad harsh?
I take it that's something you've never had happen to you. Having first got as rid of as much as possible

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
On the subject of rubbish, the lanes just to the East of Swanley seem to be the centre of the Kent fly-tipping industry. It's hideous.

On the subject of fast food waste, it's easy (and not wrong) to point the finger at the litterbugs, but the real responsibility lies with the vendors.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
One of those screw in tent pegs for hard ground. Glad I was using a saddlebag as I wouldn't have felt safe carrying it in a pocket. Found another still in the ground on a pitch we'd been allocated. Dead handy - I've got four now.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
On another occasion a " SnapOn" 10mm combination spanner in pristine condition.

Popular size, so that was a lucky find.

I found an 11mm combination spanner.

Not entirely useless, it's the size used on what I believe is called an F plug, which sits on the end of satellite TV aerial leads.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
On the Bristol Railway Path, I've found numerous single gloves, a child's bike frame, fly-tipped mattresses & fridges, a CRT computer monitor and recently, a 1000cc stolen BMW motorbike.

A burgled mansion (paper round and quite a tale), an entire hedgehog family splatted in the exact places they got crushed by a vehicle with double rear wheels (tears for that one), £80 in ten pound notes, a pallet when I had no lights on a moonless night in the middle of nowhere. Some gravel that I tried to outsmart near home, the gravel won the bout and cost me several teeth. A milk tanker driver hanging upside down in his cab on the Cat and Fiddle road, easy on those turns in the winter you drivers!

Pliers long and short nose, still got them been quite hady.
Wallet x3 different days all returned with contents cos i'm nice.
Rack cyclebag with waterproofs house keys wallet and phone. Arranged to meet at a castle and returned them to relieved owners.
All the usual fast food outlet rubbish which is really annoying. Bet they wouldn't just dump it in their own garden
Also has anyone notice all the rubbish on the A1 near clumber park. Saw it all a while ago. Makes me despair
Some years ago I spent a week at a house in the Abernethy forest near Boat of Garten, clean air and clean roads with no litter, hardly met a soul in one week of snowy tranquillity. When we left I stopped for a leak at a lay-by on the road south of Aviemore that links to the A9. For modesty I climbed over the armco and wandered down a small bank and into a tidal stretch of PET bottles, cans, packets, used nappies, you name it.
It was as though the bubble had burst for me, 30 minutes earlier filling peanut feeders before leaving and taking a last look at many red squirrels swinging from the feeders in an unspoilt landscape. I got back in the car and the wife asked me why the long face, "nothing, just thinking I'll miss the place". I did not want to spoil it for her.
Where I live now there is no litter, there is hardly a scrap of it in the nearest town of 85,000 inhabitants.
I have a rant to add, I have met people who suggested that council employees would not be in work if it where not for litter, bizarre reasoning for bizarre times. I am sure there are better things to spend your council tax money on than clearing up deliberately discarded waste.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I found a partridge asleep in the middle of the road one time. It didn't wake up until I'd ridden right past it twice, parked the bike, walked over, and picked it up.

On the same basis, I found a barn owl sitting in the road last Thursday, only about 100 m from where the partridge had been 2 or 3 years before. It was awake enough to evade capture by flying 5 yards down the road when I made as if to pick it up. Either sick, or been stunned by a car, I should guess. No sign of it, or feathers, the following evening.
barn_owl.jpg

Tom B

Guru
A couple of wallets,
A driving licence
A couple of lost dementia patients - One several times
Numerous bike lights ( makes up for loosing some)
Shaggers, lots of shaggers - one couple in particular were regulars in an out of the way walkers carpark - I think he had a pickup truck so was able to drive over the exit crocodile teeth in the opposite direction to get onto the carpark at night.They even used to say hi, or wave if they had their mouth full.

A still vibrating rampant rabbit

Last edited:

Tom B

Guru
We need to know what those batteries were - they sound good.

Cant answer that one. It was on a country lane in the middle of nowhere just over a crest and around a corner. I didn't believe what id seen so went back for a look. Kicked it into the hedge/verge. Surprisingly it had gone the following night! Obviously missed by someone.

I told a mate about it who asked "was it warm?" and "did you sniff it"...... Grim. ( and I dont know and no i didnt)

Top Bottom