What Helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Datura

I need to get myself a helmet. I have epilepsy, so for me having one is an absolute must as i dont just have to deal with the possibility of having a crash i also have the possibility (albiet only a very small one) of having a seizure while riding. While a knock to the head isnt good for anyone, i have to be particularly careful as taking a hit could make my condition worse :sad:

So with the above in mind, what helmet would you recommend?

Ive noticed they vary in price from £10 up to £100's...whats the difference? Is it looks, aerodynamics or safety?

Im really confused! :unsure:

Thanks xx

Cubist

Still wavin'
What sort of riding? There are some bargains to be had out there, such as Bell Venture, Giro Indicator, both of which are smart, value for money helmets which you should be able to find for less than 30 quid.

A lot of it is down to fit and preferred look, so get to a shop where you can try them on.

I will probably inflame a debate here, but they all conform to BS, so spending more than 30 quid or so does not get you a better technical specification, just smart styling/magazine style fashion items. The two above look like their more expensive stablemates and you can spend the change on cake and GT85.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I bought a Bell Slant when Halford's were selling them for £20. Main thing is that it fits and feels comfortable. A nice bonus was when I discovered that the brow pad was removable I could wash it when it began to smell.

BSRU

A Human Being
I have two helmets and the basic difference is ventilation, very important this time of year. I have a Bell Citi(£30) and a Specialized Propero(£60), the Specialized has far more ventilation which keeps my head much cooler than the Bell.

Also Specialized helmets conform to a higher safety standard than most other helmets.

Tyke

The Higher standard is the SNELL check out http://www.smf.org/stds

A list of certified helmets can be found at http://www.smf.org/cert

The Specialized Helmet's are good and start at similar prices to the lower spec ones from other companies, I have the Specialized Align Helmet £30 from Evens light, well vented, easily adjusted with a dial at the back and Snell standard so can't see the point of spending more on another lower standard helmet. If you want to pay more you can but you should stick to the higher Snell standard.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
The key is to try before you buy - as usual.
biggrin.gif

Helmets are made in all sorts of shapes and sizes and some fit a round head, some an oval head and some another shaped head !

You may well find that a particular manufacturer's helmet fit you, while others from a different manufacturer don't - irrespective of the style/cost.

IMHO, you don't need to spend vast sums on a helmet - but the more expensive ones may well have improved ventilation, aerodynamics or whatever.

HTH

lip03

Über Member
hey! i have the giro indicator its a lovely! got it for 30 quid and looks great! a lot of helmets i tried just looked awful! even the more expensive ones! good luck in finding the helmet for you!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I recently bought a giro skyline off ebay for half the price of Halfords, very comfortable and well ventilated .

I have seen the Boardman lids about , are they any good ? i am not sure they are worth £60

I get a sweaty bonce so i am on the look out for a very well ventilated lid( i should add i do like to go at a good speed )

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have a Specialized helmet. It is well ventilated and fits me well.

I own two Specialized Echelon lids. They are comfy and Snell certified. Try for size at Evans and then shop about and you can get them for a very reasonable price.

So I taught you something? :troll:

Mark is right

Internet purchases as pointed out may be cheaper, but unless you are comfortable with the fit, feel, and general comfort then n a long trip it will become uncomfortable.

THe other thing with an LBS is that they will help you adjust the helmet to fit. Easier done by a second person. Again if it is not fitted properly then it is a waste of time and can be ejected if you do have a crash

Top Bottom