what is a good chain lubricant ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have been using Finish Line Teflon and just used the last of if.
I'm just wondering if there are better/less expensive options etc.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've tended to use any old oil I happen to have, most recently I've been using up the gallon of engine oil the wrong grade for my car. If I am ever in a position to challenge Monsieur Marchand's veteran hour record I might be running low by then and have to get something else

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have you been using the small dropper bottles ? Spray lubes are very wasteful. Finish line are my favourite. Wet lubes are easier to wipe clean with a rag and tend to clog less - especially useful for commuters/daily riders. Muck Off wet lube is OK too, and recently on offer.

I find the little dropper bottles last months and months.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I like finish line cross country/green as its a little stickier than others and doesn't seem to get washed off in rain so readily.

Chainsaw oil is also good for much the same reason.

BUT, I think the reality is that as long as there's is lube present, any will do from 3 in 1 to motor oils and more exotic fayre ....

MikeW-71

Veteran
I used the Finish Line Green to start with, a small bottle lasted more than a year. It would probably have gone a bit further TBH, as I over-cleaned a bit.

Then I got some Bikehut lube from Halfords, cheaper and a bit bigger bottle. Seems fine, but not as sticky as Finish Line, so it flings off a bit until you get the excess off. This bottle is gonna last aaaages!

midlife

Guru
dynaflo.jpg

Something in the above.........sometimes I feel old fashioned :biggrin:

Shaun

Top Bottom