what is a good chain lubricant ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
wd40-dry-lube-na-EV233458-9999-1.jpg

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
progold-prolink-chain-lube-EV163361-9999-1.jpg

But applied with a dropper rather than the spray nozzle.
Another vote for PROLINK, but applied with a hypodermic - one drop per chain roller - also on all other pivot points on gear mechs, brakes etc etc

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Muc off dry or wet lube for me - Though I do have a bottle of Squirt Chain Lube that was recommended to me in a previous thread somewhere. Not used it yet as we went through a stint of poor weather but I might give it a go soon.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Car engine oil here. Lovely and sticky and long lasting. Just wipe off the excess from the outside.

I've also used left over gear oil from when servicing my alfine hub.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Muc-off wet at the minute, but will probably go to Muc-off dry next time I clean the chain.
For no better reason than it works and it's what I've got.
I might try something else when it runs out, but for now theres no need, although I tend to agree with @Fab Foodie that it's the actual presence of lubricant that's most important, not the specific brand.

betty swollocks

large member
My favourite is Fenwicks. The chain runs smoothly and silently and with a quick Mickle, is clean again.

Stevec047

Über Member
Much off wet lube is what I currently use works a treat and seems to stay on the chain for a good couple of weeks before reapplying if your the lazy sort or like me mislay ed the bottle and have only just found it.

Must admit with the dry dusty weather we have had the past couple of rides is does pick up quite a bit of dust so may switch to the dry version soon just to stop the build up of dirt.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Bought Muc Off dry last time. Great for not picking up crap but IME seems to melt in anything more extreme than damp conditions, so requires very regular application. If I have been riding in the rain, it has to be reapplied after the straight after the ride, otherwise within a day or so, the chain looks like it belongs on a BSO.
Will be trying something different next time.

Top Bottom