What is a 'real' Cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
This (regularly repeated) topic is one of the silliest on the forums!

As far as I'm concerned a real cyclist is someone who rides a bike (or trike)

Someone who has a bike, but it stays in the garage/ shed/ whatever for 364 days a year isn't. (On the 365th it may or may not come out and get ridden less than a mile, at which point its owner decides it's too much like hard work &/or too dangerous/ &/or they'd do more cycling if only they had a differrent bike)

Definitions of serious cyclists are just as futile.

rh100

Rob3rt said:
Technically they shouldnt be, since isnt this a requirement at some stage in aqquiring your driving liscense?

Although many people still seem to be unable to do this somewhat simple task! I can change a car wheel and I havent driven a car in my life!

No I don't believe it is (I certainly never had to prove it when getting my licence). I think the requirement is to be able to phone the RAC :tongue:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I agree about pumping up tyres and knowing how to fix a bike. I'd even say that you qualify as a real cyclist when you buy one of these:

topeak-joe-blow-sport.jpg

Steve H

Large Member
Someone riding a bike = "I won't be seen dead in Lycra. It looks ridiculous"
Beginning to become a Cyclist = "I don't mind this Lycra, but I'm wearing these baggies over the top so none of my mates see me"
Full on Cyclist = "£70 for a team jersey seems good value"

rh100

Globalti said:
I agree about pumping up tyres and knowing how to fix a bike. I'd even say that you qualify as a real cyclist when you buy one of these:

:tongue:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
rh100 said:
No I don't believe it is (I certainly never had to prove it when getting my licence). I think the requirement is to be able to phone the RAC :tongue:

I was always under the impresison they taught you how to change a wheel when learning to drive?

I also subsequently assumed it would be part of the theory test, some general maintenance questios regarding tyre pressures etc.

Im 23, never driven a car in my life, and have no desire to learn to drive!

crumpetman

Rob3rt said:
I was always under the impresison they taught you how to change a wheel when learning to drive?

I also subsequently assumed it would be part of the theory test, some general maintenance questios regarding tyre pressures etc.

Im 23, never driven a car in my life, and have no desire to learn to drive!

I took my test 17 years ago and at that time there was no mechanical part to it and no theory test. I am fairly sure that since they updated the test to include the "theory" part that it just has some photos of a car engine and you need to identify where the oil goes and where the windscreen washer liquid goes.

It would make sense to teach people some basic car maintenance when learning to drive but with modern cars I think all you need to do is check the pressures and fill up the washer liquid.

crumpetman

Globalti said:

I have just bought one of those, well the Sport II version anyway. It is such a good pump, 100 PSI in a few seconds.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Spot on.
The amount of snobbery about who/what is a 'real' cyclist is astounding.

HLaB said:
IMO a real cyclist is a person who owns a bike and uses it. Other things only serve to make folk a better cyclist.

raindog

er.....
ianrauk said:
Spot on.
The amount of snobbery about who/what is a 'real' cyclist is astounding.
I think the astounding thing is that some people are actually trying to give a serious answer.

jimboalee

Globalti said:

The guy in the LBS down the road from Space Alien saw a slimey green thing trying to talk to one of these.

jimboalee

Davidc said:
This (regularly repeated) topic is one of the silliest on the forums!

As far as I'm concerned a real cyclist is someone who rides a bike (or trike)

Someone who has a bike, but it stays in the garage/ shed/ whatever for 364 days a year isn't. (On the 365th it may or may not come out and get ridden less than a mile, at which point its owner decides it's too much like hard work &/or too dangerous/ &/or they'd do more cycling if only they had a differrent bike)

Definitions of serious cyclists are just as futile.

Yup, and its always ripe for a wind-up. :tongue:

Top Bottom